Subject: [ldapext] Fwd: Manual Post Requested for draft-howard-rfc2307bis

From: Howard Chu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 14:41:42 -0700

I guess this will show up in a couple of days.

Major differences from version 01 of the rfc2307bis document:

1) Added host and hostos attribute options to allow system-specific values for 
attributes when needed. (E.g. to accommodate different homeDirectory locations 
on various machines.)

2) Added integerOrderingMatch ORDERING rules to attributes with integer 
syntax. Admins frequently need to search for things like (uidNumber>=1000) and 
the lack of the ORDERING rules was a great impediment.

3) Added new groupOfMembers structural objectclass with "member" as an 
optional attribute, to support groups with zero members. This class should be 
used whenever a structural group class is needed. The use of 
groupOfUniqueNames (and groupOfNames) is deprecated.

4) Added references to PAM and LDAP Password Policy. The use of LDAP 
information for authentication via NSS mechanisms is deprecated. The use of 
shadowAccount information for password policy is deprecated.

5) Added Naming Considerations section with caveats re: user and group naming.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Manual Post Requested for draft-howard-rfc2307bis
Date: Sun,  9 Aug 2009 14:31:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked],[email-masked]

Manual Posting Requested for following Internet-Draft:

I-D Submission Tool URL: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/idst/status.cgi?submission_id=17311

Filename:	   draft-howard-rfc2307bis
Version:	   02
Staging URL:	   http://www.ietf.org/staging/draft-howard-rfc2307bis-02.txt
Title:		   An Approach for Using LDAP as a Network Information Service
Creation_date:	   2009-08-09
WG ID:		   Indvidual Submission
Number_of_pages: 32
Abstract:
This document describes a mechanism for mapping entities related to
TCP/IP and the UNIX system [UNIX] into [X.500] entries so that they
may be resolved with the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
[RFC4511].  A set of attribute types and object classes are proposed,
along with specific guidelines for interpreting them.  The intention
is to assist the deployment of LDAP as an organizational nameservice.
No proposed solutions are intended as standards for the Internet.
Rather, it is hoped that a general consensus will emerge as to the
appropriate solution to such problems, leading eventually to the
adoption of standards.  The proposed mechanism has already been
implemented with some success.

Submitter: Howard Chu ([email-masked])

Author(s):
Luke Howard, [email-masked]
Howard Chu, [email-masked]

Comment:
The form grabbed too much text for the Abstract, trimmed it back down to the 
proper text.

---

From: Michael Ströder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:11:46 +0200

Howard,

do you think setting something like the timezone used for a user would be
feasible? Or other Unix locale data? I raised this on [email-masked] a couple
of days ago and it could be related to your current work on that draft.

Ciao, Michael.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [ldap] Re: LDAP attribute type for timezone, retrieve locale for
shell sessions
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 20:25:42 +0200
From: Michael Ströder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]
References: <[email-masked]> <1250172072.6473.14.camel@linux-m3mt>

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 15:59 +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
>> Anybody aware of an attribute type dedicated to store the time zone of a user?
>
> Nope (but timezone codes are just strings).  I think this would be the
> 'default' timezone of a user;

Hmm, frankly I'm not really familiar with this stuff. Looking at the timezone
package on my Linux my spontaneous idea would be to add directory entries
containing the compiled timezone blobs and a time zone attribute would just
contain a DN as reference on this timezone blob entry.

>  but a user can easily move between time
> zones.

Yes, I'm aware of that. So the timezone setting in the directory entry should
be kind of a self-service attribute.

>  It is actually pretty difficult [for scheduling applications] to
> determine what is the correct thing to do with TZ sometimes.

Well, calendaring software is not my primary goal. Rather simple things like
displaying timestamps in local time in my web2ldap or correctly set the
timezone-related env vars in a shell. The latter could be easily overridden by
local shell profiles.

>> It would also make sense if pam_ldap/nss_ldap could query the locale of the
>> user from the user's directory entry and set the locale accordingly. Anybody
>> doing something like this?
>
> Wow, that would be awesome.  But I'm not holding my breath.

;-)

Let's first discuss a data model...

Ciao, Michael.