Subject: [UM] FW: Introducing the ID tracker

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:10:35 -0500

Excellent news from Harald!  This is an excellent tool; use it if you are wondering where your draft is.

-----Original Message-----
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 4:44 PM
Subject: Introducing the ID tracker

Hello,

The IESG is always trying to work better.
We have gotten a number of comments from the community that it is sometimes 
very hard to find out what the IESG is doing to documents, why documents 
take a long time to process, who makes comments, what the comments are and 
so on, and that this is a significant source of frustration for the 
community.

For the last year or so, the secretariat has been working on a tool to help 
us keep track of what documents are on our plate, what state they are in 
and who is responsible for them; we call it the "ID tracker". It's been in 
use for about 6 months now, and has definitely improved our ability to keep 
track.

For several months, the "status of items" pages on the IESG web pages have 
been generated from this tool, showing the high-order bit of who we think 
is responsible.

In order to help you know more about what we are doing, we've decided to 
open up a public view of the ID tracker itself.

This will allow you to search for the documents you want to look at, and 
for each document see:

- What its current state is
- What the history of IESG processing is
- AD and IESG comments on the document
- For documents in IESG consideration for standards track, what the 
individual ADs have indicated as their opinion on the document, and if they 
think there are problems with it, what the comments are.

The last point is a revision of previous IESG policy, based on the feedback 
from the Yokohama plenary; we are now telling you the names that go with 
each comment from the IESG members.

The system is far from perfect - you can tell from the history of documents 
that we've been changing this as we go along - but we hope that it will be 
a useful tool for people to figure out what the IESG is doing with their 
documents, and for them to have an easier time talking to the relevant ADs 
in order to get what we all want out of the process - relevant, high 
quality standards for the Internet.

The tool and its documentation is found at

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi

The link to it is also visible on the IESG Web page.

Welcome!

              The IESG

-
This list is maintained by Snowshore Networks - http://www.snowshore.com
All comments on this list are the comments of the message originators and
Snowshore is not to be held responsible for any actions or comments found
on this list. The archives for this list can be found at
http://flyingfox.snowshore.com/um_archive/maillist.html