Subject: [lemonade] RFC 4416 on Goals for Internet Messaging to Support Diverse Service Environments

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:52:49 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4416

        Title:      Goals for Internet Messaging to 
                    Support Diverse Service Environments 
        Author:     J. Wong,  Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       February 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      43
        Characters: 93676
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-lemonade-goals-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4416.txt

This document is a history capturing the background, motivation and
thinking during the LEMONADE definition and design process.

The LEMONADE Working Group -- Internet email to support diverse
service environments -- is chartered to provide enhancements to
Internet mail to facilitate its use by more diverse clients.  In
particular, by clients on hosts not only operating in environments
with high latency/bandwidth-limited unreliable links but also
constrained to limited resources.  The enhanced mail must be
backwards compatible with existing Internet mail.

The primary motivation for this effort is -- by making Internet mail
protocols richer and more adaptable to varied media and environments
-- to allow mobile handheld devices tetherless access to Internet
mail using only IETF mail protocols.

The requirements for these devices drive a discussion of the possible
protocol enhancements needed to support multimedia messaging on
limited-capability hosts in diverse service environments.  A list of
general principles to guide the design of the enhanced messaging
protocols is documented.  Finally, additional issues of providing seamless
service between enhanced Internet mail and the existing separate
mobile messaging infrastructure are briefly listed.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service environments Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade