Subject: [lemonade] other lemonade-vfolder-00 comments

From: Philip Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:13:02 -0800

Requiring the VFOLDER to have the same UIDVALIDITY as the underlying
folder is a non-starter: it breaks IMAP's guarantee that a change
in immutable message data implies a change in at least one of
	{ mailbox name, UIDVALIDITY, UID }
and thereby breaks caching.  It also breaks the requirement that
the UIDVALIDITY for a given mailbox name never get smaller.

I think it's also guaranteed that for a given mailbox name and
UIDVALIDITY, messages cannot be inserted before the previously
advertised UIDNEXT.  That would mean that the UIDVALIDITY must
change if the criteria of the vfolder is changed to include message
that previously were not included.

I don't understand the goal of the last sentence of section one.
Whether a search criteria is immutable is not just dependent on
what properties it considers.  In particular, the WITHIN criteria
in this doc is *NOT* immutable, even though it doesn't examine any
mutable message properties.  (It involves a mutable *non-message*
property: the current time!)  That's a major reason for it being
difficult to implement.

Please turn off "smart quotes" and just use ascii ' and "

Philip Guenther

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade