Subject: RE: [lemonade] Draft liaison to OMA

From: "Glenn Parsons" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:31:28 -0500

Folks,
A revised liaison based on comments is attached...
And a revised slide deck has been uploaded:
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06mar/slides/lemonade-5.ppt 
I will send these to the OMA over the weekend. 
Cheers,
Glenn.

From: IETF LEMONADE Working Group
To: OMA MWG MEM Sub Working Group
Title: Regarding the LEMONADE Profile	
Response contact:  [email-masked]
Purpose:  For Information

The LEMONADE working group (WG) would like to thank the OMA Mobile Email
Sub Working Group for your latest liaison.

We appreciate your response to the questions that we had asked in our
previous liaison.  We have a specific comment based on your feedback on
subsetting the OMA STI parameters for content transformation. 

For the IMAP CONVERT protocol, the LEMONADE WG, as part of the IETF,
must be cognizant that the consumers of our protocol specifications
includes the entire set of Internet developers.  Many of the media
conversions that are obvious for the mobile environment, such as image
or multimedia conversion, are not relevant for many of the consumers of
IETF protocols.  Therefore, the only 'Mandatory to Implement' conversion
that will appear in the CONVERT protocol is HTML to TEXT.  Virtually all
messaging systems from almost all Internet domains can use this
conversion, so including it in the set of mandatory conversions does not
put an undue burden on implementations that do not focus on the mobile
environment.  That said, the HTML to TEXT conversion exercises the
entire functionality of the CONVERT protocol.  Be assured that the
protocol itself can support any subset or even the entire OMA STI
parameter suite.  Thus, we encourage the OMA to further subset the full
list of STI parameters to make it realistic for the OMA mobile enabler.
As a result, we propose that LEMONADE would not specify the STI list
decided by OMA MEM, but that this would be included in the OMA MEM TS.

As we have indicated before, the LEMONADE WG is working on a set of
extensions to IMAP and ESMTP to support mobile email.  This set will be
succinctly described in the LEMONADE profile
(draft-ietf-lemonade-profile-bis).  We understand that the OMA TS will
normatively reference the LEMONADE profile for the MEM protocol.  In
order to help you understand this protocol better, we have attached a
presentation to update OMA MEM on the content of the LEMONADE profile. 

Up-to-date information on LEMONADE Internet-Drafts and RFCs can always
be found at http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/lemonade-charter.html with
more detail tracked on the supplemental site.

Finally, as information, the next meetings of the IETF LEMONADE WG are:
*	May 31 - IETF LEMONADE 65.5 interim meeting - TBD
*	Jul 10-14 - IETF 66 plenary - Montreal

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade