Subject: Re: [lemonade] RECONNECT

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 17:40:41 +0100

Burger, Eric wrote:

>Dave and Alexey realized that it is the same number of bytes and
>round-trips to have the client store the state for reconnect than to
>have the server store the state.
>  
>
To clarify this: the state that the client passes to the server *is* the 
state stored on the server.

The advantage of client side version is that it is easier to implement 
on the server side. It doesn't change anything on the client side, as 
clients must already store the same information anyway.

The advantage of server side state is that in the future we can add 
extra state to it, which is not necessarily state associated with the 
currently selected mailbox.

Mandating client side quick reconnect now doesn't prevent us from doing 
server side quick reconnect in the future, if needed.

>Alexey believes it is a small number of edits to make the change to the
>document.
>
>Because of our short time-lines, we will not abandon the server-side
>RECONNECT mechanism.  Rather, we will have a new document,
>draft-ietf-lemonade-reconnect-client, that will describe the client-side
>mechanism.
>
>The work group will examine both drafts and preferably pick one
>approach.  That approach will go standards-track while the other will
>die.
>
>Less preferably, we can keep both drafts, make one Experimental, and
>reference the standards-track document in Profile bis.
>
>Least preferably, we go with both drafts.
>
>Thoughts?
>  
>

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade