Subject: RE: [lemonade] Draft Minutes, Interim Day 1

From: "Burger, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 22:19:25 -0400

[as participant]

I was thinking about this further.  If you have a legacy client, and
that client implementation has a policy of "cache everything," would it
be incorrect to assert that the client probably has decent bandwidth to
the Internet and decent storage?

I'm asserting this because such a policy is the opposite of the LEMONADE
environment.  I would offer that if you have multi-megabits of bandwidth
and gigabytes of available storage, you could suffer to cache duplicates
until such time you upgrade your client.

Am I off base here?

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Cridland [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 6:39 PM
To: Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service
enivronments
Subject: Re: [lemonade] Draft Minutes, Interim Day 1

On Thu Jun  1 19:23:41 2006, Randall Gellens wrote:
>>  Resolution: Allow VFOLDER only for lemonade clients for now.
> 
> How are legacy clients barred from SELECTing vfolders?

They're not, but they're prevented from listing them without being 
asked with special LIST-EXTENDED selection options.

I think this is a mistake, actually, because you're preventing legacy 
clients from taking advantage of them, which I think is a key feature 
of virtual mailboxes.

I appreciate that some dumb clients download every message in every 
mailbox, but I fail to see the point of crippling the system to 
pander for clients that are badly written to begin with - you could 
equally well say that IMAP servers should hide more than 10 mailboxes.

Dave.
-- 
Dave Cridland - mailto:[email-masked] - xmpp:[email-masked]
  - acap://acap.dave.cridland.net/byowner/user/dwd/bookmarks/
  - http://dave.cridland.net/
Infotrope Polymer - ACAP, IMAP, ESMTP, and Lemonade

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:33:27 +0200

Eric Burger writes:
> that client implementation has a policy of "cache everything," would 
> it be incorrect to assert that the client probably has decent 
> bandwidth to the Internet and decent storage?

No. Decent storage, yes, but not bandwidth.

Consider a device such as the latest Sony Vaio, with a 200GB disk and 
built-in GPRS (if that's not the latest model, surely it is the next 
one). The most sensible strategy for such a device is to use oodles of 
disk and minimize GPRS use. There are existing IMAP clients that follow 
this strategy.

Arnt