Subject: [lemonade] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-lemonade-compress-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service environments Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The IMAP COMPRESS=DEFLATE Extension
	Author(s)	: A. Gulbrandsen
	Filename	: draft-ietf-lemonade-compress-01.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2006-6-22
	
The COMPRESS=DEFLATE extension allows an IMAP connection to be
    compressed using the DEFLATE algorithm, such that effective
    compression is available even when TLS is used.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-compress-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-lemonade-compress-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-compress-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:56:06 -0700

The sentence in "The COMPRESS Command" at the end of Page 2 seems to 
be truncated.

	If the direction specified is "DOWN", only

In "Compression Efficiency", the text "clients which send many APPEND 
commands may want to take special care" should be explained, I think. 
What should such clients do?

Also, same section, since you list four different kinds of data sent 
by IMAP servers, may as well change "Downstream has the unusual 
property that 3-4 kinds of data are sent" to say "four" or maybe "at 
least four".

Typo in "Implementation Notes": "level 0" should be "level to 0".

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later.
                -- Fred Brooks in _The Mythical Man Month_

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:49:30 +0300

Hi all,
I have a few comments on this new revision:
General: Section numbers are missing.
Introduction and overview: "Hopefully it will not be necessary to define additional algorithms." Can we remove this sentence?
The Compress command: "The client MUST NOT send additional commands until it has seen the result of COMPRESS." Can we replace the word "additional" with "any" to make sure that it's clear?
The Compress command: "If both SASL/TLS and COMPRESS are in use, the data should be..." isn't this a MUST?
Compression efficiency: "(just a tiny bit) pmore CPU than level 9. Independent verification" typo in pmore.

Best regards: Zoltán Ördögh
E-mail: zoltan dot ordogh at nokia dot com
Phone: +358 50 386 0566

-----Original Message-----
From: ext [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 23 June, 2006 01:50
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [lemonade] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-lemonade-compress-01.txt 

	

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to [email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-lemonade-compress-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type: