Subject: [lemonade] Use of IMAP SORT in Lemonade Profile Bis

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:30:22 +0000

Dan Karp wrote:

>So I think that it's a very good idea that "these issues be punted to
>future work in new standards," as you put it.  So I'll again put forth a
>kick-the-can-down-the-road proposal:
>
>    ... removing the FROM, TO, and CC sorts from the draft and
>    publishing it as SORT=BASE.  Then any existing server implementation
>    could advertise both SORT and SORT=BASE, indicating that they
>    support both the published RFC as well as the 3 deprecated address
>    sorts.  A subsequent draft could define SORT=FROM, with [an
>    alternative] algorithm for FROM sorting.
>  
>
Speaking specifically on proposed use of SORT in the Lemonade Profile 
Bis document: just an idea (and I reserve the right to change my mind :-))
In Lemonade Profile Bis we could define something like a new SORT-BASE 
extension (avoid = in the capability name, as Mark pointed out that any 
SORT=<X> implies superset of SORT functionality) that only requires 
implementation of a subset of SORT keys that people find useful in 
Lemonade context.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:53:21 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> Speaking specifically on proposed use of SORT in the Lemonade Profile Bis 
> document: just an idea (and I reserve the right to change my mind :-))
> implementation of a subset of SORT keys that people find useful in Lemonade 
> context.

While we are it it, why doesn't Lemonade create its own non-interoperable 
subset of RFC 2822, SMTP, and IMAP?

That makes about as much sense.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade