Subject: [lemonade] a CONVERT change

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:55:27 +0100

Hi,

on the phone meeting today we discussed CONVERT, which currently (-15) 
contains a total of three discovery mechanisms. There was rough 
consensus to reduce to two. MEDIACAPS dies, CONVERSION and 
AVAILABLECONVERSIONS survive. We believe that this loses very little.

Really stupid clients can issue a fixed string, e.g. "JPEG". With 
MEDIACAPS they would use MEDIACAPS to say "jpeg is my favourite" and 
later fetch the default.

Smarter clients can issue one of several strategies:
- CONVERSIONS followed by a FETCH of the best available laternative
- AVAILABLECONVERSIONS ditto
- optimistic FETCH followed by discovery if the favourite failed, etc
Perhaps more, I was disturbed.

The server may still be able to do default conversion based on 
out-of-band knowledge, meeting an OMA request, but in practice we think 
one of the four or more strategies above will be used. The client loses 
the ability to say "I like jpeg, but if you don't support jpeg, I like 
png too" as a single command.

Alexey promised a -16 for tomorrow, without MEDIACAPS.

Arnt
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:19:50 +0000

>Alexey promised a -16 for tomorrow, without MEDIACAPS.
This is done now.

I would like to ask people that no use case was overlooked with this change.