Subject: [lemonade] Removing attributes, was Re: Taking the knife to METADATA

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:54:41 -0400

Hi Randall,

--On March 14, 2008 7:17:47 AM -0700 Randall Gellens <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> We were trying to maintain some level of similarity with ANNOTATE, and
> also provide the client with a way to see the size before fetching
> something.

Well ANNOTATE is only experimental and I'm not sure anyone (except perhaps 
Ken @ CMU) has done anything with it. So limiting ourselves to ANNOTATE 
syntax should not be a requirement IMHO.

As far as the size goes, we could easily add an option to GETMETADATA that 
would allow a client to limit the size of data returned and add an option 
to the response to indicate when a truncation has occurred, e.g.:

           C: a GETMETADATA (MAXSIZE 1024) /comment
           S: * METADATA (TRUNCATED 2048) /comment "My comment ...."
           S: a OK GETMETADATA complete

So in this example the client asks the server to return no more than 1024 
octets. The /comment value returned is truncated at 1024 octets, and the 
server also tells the client that the actual size of /comment is 2048.

I think this is more efficient if you make the assumption that for the most 
part annotations are going to be small. i.e. the client doesn't have to do 
two roundtrips to get an annotation (one to check the size, the other to 
get the data). Instead it just does one with MAXSIZE and then, only if 
there was truncation, can do another get if it really want to.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 01:29:52 +0000

>           S: a OK GETMETADATA complete
I can live with that, as long as this is a part of 
METADATA/METADATA-SERVER and not yet another extension.

>get the data).
That is a good point.

>Instead it just does one with MAXSIZE and then, only if