Subject: Re: [lemonade] ToDo list for Lemonade Profile Bis

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:51:59 +0000

Glenn asked me to summarize the conference call discussion we had a 
couple of weeks ago. As all WG related decisions needs to be reviewed on 
the mailing list, if you disagree with any particular suggestion from 
the conference call, please comment on the mailing list.

Alexey Melnikov wrote:

>In preparation for the conference call later today, I am posting my 
>current list of open issues/todos for the Profile Bis document (listed 
>in no particular order of items). I am not going to state my opinion on 
>any of the listed items below, so that people don't get distracted.
>
>1). Decide if Future Release SMTP (RFC 4865) extension should be included.

Don't add to profile bis (*)

>2). Decide if IMAP Sieve (draft-ietf-lemonade-imap-sieve) should be 
>included.

Don't add to profile bis (*).
Issue WGLC soon and publish on Standard Track.

>3). Decide if METADATA-SERVER should be included.
>4). Decide if draft-melnikov-imapext-filters should be included.

3) is only useful with 4). People were split on this issue, so
suggestion to add it to the "maybe" list of features.
Some feedback from OMA and discussion in Philadelphia is needed.

>5). Describe what should happen if a CONVERT URL (which now returns 
>binary data) is used in CATENATE. Does this require a new IMAP 
>capability? Should this be a required extension?

Don't add to profile bis (*).

>6). Decide if URLFETCH=BINARY should be included (CONVERT URLs will 
>depend on it).

Don't add to profile bis (*), as CONVERT URL extension that depends on
URLFETCH=BINARY is not included either.

>7). Define a new IMAP capability for declaring that URLAUTH and CATENATE 
>support PARTIAL IMAP URLs (see RFC 5092)?

"This is such a minor feature that we might as well add it to Profile
Bis." Suggestion to add this to the "maybe" list.

>8). Add a new IMAP Keyword for "this message is pending submission" and 
>[possibly] another one for "this message got submitted".

Consensus to add some text on this to Profile Bis.
Peter Coates has proposed some text on the mailing list.

>9). New IMAP keyword for "has attachment"?

We spent lots of time discussing usability and precise semantics of
this. The group felt that this was not worth doing, especially after
Arnt's discovery that COMPRESS=DEFLATE works really well for FETCH
BODYSTRUCTURE, which contain this information.

>10). Add ability to discover "special" mailboxes like Trash/Junk/Sent 
>Mail/Drafts ?

Some discussion that 8 and 10 are alternative proposals to deal with the
same problem. I don't remember what exactly we've decided on this one.

>11). Should Profile Bis require Sieve AnnotateMore (to read data from 
>per-server annotations, e.g. notification address)?
>12). If Sieve and extensions remain in Lemonade Profile Bis, we need a 
>way to manage Sieve scripts. How should this be done?

We didn't have time to discuss 11 or 12.

>13). Should the document define a way to find number of attachments? 
>Should this be another extension or just an informative text?

Consensus not to do this, due to the decision not to do 9 above.

>14). Should support for IPv6 be mandated for servers?

We didn't have time to discuss this either.

We've also discussed SORT in details. One person objected about its
implementation complexity on the server, but I think rough consensus in
favor of keeping it in Profile Bis was unchanged.

-------------
(*) While many people thought it is useful, the group didn't feel it was
a Lemonade feature. So suggestion not to add it to the Profile Bis.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade