Subject: [lemonade] AD comments on IMAP FILTERS

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:03:13 -0600

Chris has commented that a human readable description for a stored 
search should have a language tag associated with it. He argues that it 
is important for /public searches.

I can see 2 ways of fixing the problem:

1). Define another subtree of annotations, e.g.

  /public/filters/languages/<filter_name>

that would contain language tags for corresponding
  /public/filters/descriptions/<filter_name>

values.

2).Extend format of /public/filters/descriptions/<filter_name> to 
contain language tag, e.g. <langtag>";"<description>

Comments?

At the moment I am leaning toward doing the former.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:28:28 -0600

Dave Cridland wrote:

> On Fri Nov 21 16:03:13 2008, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>
>> search should have a language tag associated with it. He argues  that 
>> it is important for /public searches.
>
> Plane 14 seems appropriate here. (UNICODE 5.0, Section 16.9).  
> Otherwise, we can't actually support more than one language tag,  
> which may be required in various regional languages sharing the same  
> scripts, such as Welsh/English.

I've mentioned this to Chris and he said that this option was not available.
Chris?

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:11:17 -0600

> Plane 14 seems appropriate here. (UNICODE 5.0, Section 16.9).

Quoting from this section:

16.9 Tag Characters

Tag Characters: U+E0000–U+E007F

The characters in this block provide a mechanism for language tagging in 
Unicode plain
text. The use of these characters is strongly discouraged.

> Otherwise, we can't actually support more than one language tag, which 
> may be required in various regional languages sharing the same

---

From: Dan Karp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:17:46 -0800 (PST)

> it is important for /public searches.

Forgive the question, but why is it useful to language-tag the
description?  Unless you can associate more than one description with
a filter, there doesn't seem to be any benefit from such a tag.
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:59:39 -0600

Dan Karp wrote:

>description?
I can imagine a server serving a multinational organization.

>Unless you can associate more than one description with
That is a fair comment. Some solutions (like use of Unicode Plane 14) 
will give us support for multiple languages for free.

---

From: Dan Karp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:15:12 -0800 (PST)

> will give us support for multiple languages for free.

How?  The filter's description is single-valued in the existing
schema, isn't it?
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:17:27 -0600

>How?  The filter's description is single-valued in the existing
<ru>Некоторый поиск на русском языке<en>Some search in Russian

(Where <ru> and <en> are language tags encoded using Unicode plane 14 
characters).

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:10:35 -0500

Я могу прочитать его. :-)

I love Mac's!

As for the how to do it, I have absolutely no opinion.

On Nov 21, 2008, at 7:17 PM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

> (Where <ru> and <en> are language tags encoded using Unicode plane  
> 14 characters).
>