Subject: [lemonade] RFC 5423 on Internet Message Store Events

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:00:26 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5423

        Title:      Internet Message Store Events 
        Author:     R. Gellens, C. Newman
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       March 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 34800
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-lemonade-msgevent-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5423.txt

One of the missing features in the existing Internet mail and
messaging standards is a facility for server-to-server and server-to-
client event notifications related to message store events.  As the
scope of Internet mail expands to support more diverse media (such as
voice mail) and devices (such as cell phones) and to provide rich
interactions with other services (such as web portals and legal
compliance systems), the need for an interoperable notification
system increases.  This document attempts to enumerate the types of
events that interest real-world consumers of such a system.

This document describes events and event parameters that are useful
for several cases, including notification to administrative systems
and end users.  This is not intended as a replacement for a message
access facility such as IMAP.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service environments Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute