Subject: [Lime] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-edprop-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-ps-02.txt

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 21:27:57 -0400

The predicted political adjustment to the list of authors. No other changes.

Tom T

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for 
draft-edprop-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-ps-02.txt
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 18:20:42 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>, Qin Wu <[email-masked]>, 
Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>, Mishael Wexler 
<[email-masked]>, T. Taylor <[email-masked]>, 
Mishael Wexler <[email-masked]>, Dan Romascanu 
<[email-masked]>, Qin Wu <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-edprop-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-ps-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by T. Taylor and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-edprop-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-ps
Revision:	02
Title:		Problem Statement for Layer and Technology Independent OAM in a 
Multi- Layer Environment
Document date:	2014-09-26
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		16
URL: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-edprop-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-ps-02.txt
Status: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-edprop-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-ps/
Htmlized: 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-edprop-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-ps-02
Diff: 
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-edprop-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-ps-02

Abstract:
    Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) mechanisms are
    critical building blocks in network operations.  They used for
    service fulfillment assurance, and for service diagnosis,
    troubleshooting, and repair.  The current practice is that many
    technologies rely on their own OAM protocols and procedures that are
    exclusive to a given layer.

    At present, there is little consolidation of OAM in the management
    plane or well-documented inter-layer OAM operation.  Vendors and
    operators dedicate significant resources and effort through the whole
    OAM life-cycle each time a new technology is introduced.  This is
    exacerbated when dealing with integration of OAM into overlay
    networks, which require better OAM visibility since there is no
    method to exchange OAM information between overlay and underlay.

    This document analyzes the problem space for multi-layer OAM in the
    management plane with a focus on layer and technology independent OAM
    management considerations.  It concludes that an attempt to define an
    architecture for consolidated management should be undertaken, and if
    this attempt satisfies key objectives, a gap analysis and a program
    of standardization should follow.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat