Subject: [Lln-futures] CFP: IWEF 2018 (April 15, 2018, Barcelona, Spain)

From: ANTONIO DE LA OLIVA DELGADO <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 10:56:08 +0200

Apologies for multiple postings:

1st International Workshop on Edge and Fog Systems for 5G & Beyond
(in conjunction with IEEE WCNC 2018)

http://wcnc2018.ieee-wcnc.org/workshop/first-international-
workshop-edge-and-fog-systems-5g-beyond-iwef

The First International Workshop on Edge and Fog Systems for 5G & Beyond
(IWEF) will be held in Barcelona, Spain on April 15, 2018 in conjunction
with IEEE WCNC 2018.

In addition to Clouds, the Edge and Fog are emerging as defining locations
in 5G where much of the network intelligence and service innovation could
also be envisioned. The move to the Edge was originally driven by the
desire of operators and cloud providers to deliver low latency services and
avert inevitable network congestion by keeping locally a huge amount of
local traffic. The list of usages and opportunities brought by the Edge and
Fog could only grow quickly especially when imagined with network
softwarization tools of SDN and NFV. The move to the Edge has also helped
the rediscovery of a wealth of dormant assets in the local access network.
These dormant assets are essentially contextual information collected from
the users, devices, and nodes. Putting this data on offer to application
and service providers keen on optimizing and customizing their service
delivery to the end customers proved compelling for all stakeholders.

The rich Edge and Fog ecosystem and bigger value one can deliver by
interconnecting these with the cloud led to the launch of industry
initiatives recently such as ETSI MEC and Open Fog Consortium. This
workshop provides a forum for scientists, engineers, and researchers to
discuss and exchange new ideas, novel results and experience on all aspects
of delivering an integrated virtualized edge and fog system. Several
challenges lie ahead such as: (1) Identifying which context information and
what functions from each access network may be of value to host at the Edge
either to improve own access network services or other services from other
access networks separately or jointly; (2) Defining mechanisms to collect
and deliver this context information where and when it is needed, as well
as the placement and chaining of access network functions throughout the
Edge; (3) Exploring which access network entities (including terminal
devices) could offer their resources and capabilities to dynamically scale
the integrated edge; (4) Designing automated and secure mechanisms to
discover and federate all the edge resources which may be volatile/mobile,
heterogeneous, not directly interconnected, and may belong to multiple
owners; and (5) Defining all the interactions that need to be supported
between the edge and non-edge domains such as the transport network, core
network, and distant clouds.

This workshop will offer a keynote and solicit papers that address any of
the abovementioned challenges.

WORKSHOP CHAIRS

Prof. Ying-Dar Lin, National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan

Prof. Ying-Dar Lin is a distinguished professor of Computer Science at
National Chiao Tung University (NCTU) in Taiwan. He is an IEEE Fellow, an
IEEE ComSoc Distinguished Lecturer (2014~2017), and a research associate of
ONF. He has been the editor-in-chief of IEEE Communications Surveys and
Tutorials since 2017 and is currently on the editorial boards of many IEEE
journals. He has co-chaired symposia at IEEE Globecom’13 and IEEE ICC’15.

Dr. Arturo Azcorra, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M), Spain

Dr. Arturo Azcorra is currently full professor at Universidad Carlos III de
Madrid, and is also an IEEE Senior Member and an ACM SIGCOMM Member. He has
served as a TPC member in many international conferences, including several
editions of IEEE PROMS, IDMS, QofIS, ACM CoNEXT and IEEE INFOCOM.

Dr. Alain Mourad, InterDigital Europe Ltd, UK

Dr. Alain Mourad is currently leading the research and development of
Next-Generation RAN at InterDigital Europe Ltd. Prior to joining
InterDigital, Alain was a Principal Engineer at Samsung Electronics R&D
(UK) and previously a Senior Engineer at Mitsubishi Electric R&D Centre
Europe (France). Throughout his career, he has been active in the research
and standardization of recent wireless communication and broadcasting
systems (3GPP-LTE, WiMAX 16m, DVB-T2/NGH, ATSC 3.0). Alain has several
inventions and authored numerous peer-reviewed scientific publications. He
received the Inventor of the Year Award from Samsung Electronics R&D UK
twice in 2012 and 2013, and in 2016 InterDigital Non-Patent Innovation
Award for the “idea, creation and execution of InterDigital Europe”.

CALL FOR PAPERS

This workshop seeks original papers that address any of the abovementioned
aspects. Technical papers should describe original research that is
unpublished and not under review by any other conference/journal.

TOPICS OF INTEREST

Research topics of interest include, but are not limited to the following
topics:

5G-EFS/MEC architecture and system framework
5G-EFS/MEC use cases, deployment scenarios, and requirements
5G-EFS/MEC experiments, testbeds and demonstrations
Business models involving all stakeholders of the 5G-EFS/MEC value chain
Cloud federation in 5G-EFS/MEC
Integration and interaction between EFS/MEC and central clouds
EFS/MEC applications and service provisioning
EFS/MEC function provisioning
Orchestration and control algorithms for EFS/MEC functions
Resource management and allocations for EFS/MEC
Network function virtualization (NFV) at EFS/MEC
Network slicing and multi-tenancy of EFS/MEC
EFS/SDN/NFV integration
Virtualization of radio access network functions in EFS/MEC
Multi-RAT convergence and network offloading
Software defined networking (SDN) for EFS/MEC
Switching designs to support 5G-EFS/MEC architectures
QoS and traffic engineering in EFS/MEC
Service mobility under the EFS/MEC framework
Security and privacy issues in EFS/MEC
Authentication, authorization and billing issues in EFS/MEC
Performance analysis and evaluation of EFS/MEC system

Submitted papers must be tailored to the problems of Edge and Fog Systems.
Only originally unpublished contributions and invited articles will be
considered for the workshop. Papers should be formatted according to the
IEEE WCNC 2018 guidelines. Authors should submit a PDF version of their
complete paper via EDAS according to the timetable below:

Submission deadline: 2 November 2017
Author Notification: 15 December 2017
Final Manuscript: 12 January 2018

Standard IEEE conference templates for LaTeX and Microsoft Word can be
found here.

-- 
Antonio de la Oliva
Assistant Professor
Telematics Department
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: +34 91 624 8803
Fax:   +34 91 624 8749