Subject: [Lln-futures] CFP WCMC SI - Advances in Low Power Wide Area Networks

From: "Carles Gomez Montenegro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 17:01:43 +0100

/**** Apologies for multiple copies ****/

Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing

Special Issue -- Advances in Low Power Wide Area Networks
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/wcmc/si/971716/cfp

Call for Papers

Today a wide range of wireless communication technologies can be used to
enable the Internet of Things (IoT). Many of these technologies have been
originally designed for short-range communication, typically in the order
of tens of (or up to a few hundreds of) meters. In consequence, an
extensive infrastructure is required for device connectivity using such
technologies, leading to high deployment cost in crucial domains (e.g.,
smart cities and smart grids).

The quickly developing family of Low Power Wide Area Networks (LPWANs)
technologies offers a promising alternative to overcome this fundamental
problem. LPWAN technologies have been designed to achieve multiyear
lifetime and multikilometer range for battery-operated devices. The
unique characteristics of LPWAN typically allow collecting data from
millions of devices with only a few gateways, thus dramatically reducing
both deployment and operational cost. LPWAN technologies include evolved
cellular technologies (e.g., NB-IoT, LTE-M, and EC-GSM), unlicensed band
technologies (e.g., Sigfox, LoRa/LoRaWAN, and Weightless), and recent
amendments to IEEE standards (e.g., IEEE 802.15.4g, IEEE 802.15.4k, and
IEEE 802.11ah), among others.

While LPWAN technologies exhibit outstanding features in critical
performance parameters, they are also subject to significant constraints
in terms of message rate, bit rate, and payload size. Furthermore, the
wireless nature of LPWANs poses additional challenges in terms of radio
signal propagation, interference, fading, and so forth. This special issue
aims to collect high quality research papers and review articles
addressing recent advances on LPWANs. Original, high quality contributions
that are not published before and are not currently under review by other
journals or conferences are sought.

Potential topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

- Fundamental performance limits of LPWAN (capacity, delay, throughput,
  energy efficiency).
- Analytical, simulation and experimental evaluation of LPWAN technologies.
- PHY, MAC, network, transport and application layer improvements for LPWAN.
- Coexistence of LPWAN technologies.
- Management solutions and architectures for LPWAN.
- Security solutions and architectures for LPWAN.
- Interoperability and Internet connectivity for LPWAN.
- Standardization efforts in respect to LPWAN.
- IoT, Smart City and other services and applications based on LPWAN.

Authors can submit their manuscripts through the Manuscript Tracking
System at https://mts.hindawi.com/submit/journals/wcmc/alpw/.

IMPORTANT DATES
Submission Deadline        Friday, 26 January 2018
Publication Date           June 2018

Papers are published upon acceptance, regardless of the Special Issue
publication date.

Guest Editors

    Carles Gomez, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
    Andrea Zanella, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
    Konstantin Mikhaylov, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
    Laurent Toutain, IMT-Atlantique, Nantes, France

Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing is included in many leading
abstracting and indexing databases. A complete list can be found via the
link below:
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/wcmc/ai

The most recent Impact Factor for Wireless Communications and Mobile
Computing is 1.899 according to the 2016 Journal Citation Reports released
by Clarivate Analytics in 2017.

More details on the journal can be found here:
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/wcmc

The electronic version of each published article is freely available
online. Since Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing is an open
access journal, publishing an article requires the payment of Article
Processing Charges (APCs). More details about the journal's APCs can be
found at:
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/wcmc/apc