Subject: [Lln-futures] ACM BuildSys 2019 - Nov. 13-14 - New York City - Call for Workshops/Papers Reminder and Call for Posters/Demos/PhD Colloquium

From: Mostafa Mirshekari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 08:42:38 -0700

Dear Colleagues,

Just a couple of reminders about the ACM International Conference on
Systems for Energy-Efficient Built Environments, Cities, and Transportation
(*ACM BuildSys*) Call for Workshops/Papers and announcement of the Call for
Posters/Demos, Short Papers, and the Doctoral Colloquium. The conference
will be held Nov. 13-14 in New York City, NY, USA.

*Call for Workshops Reminder - Approaching Soon!*
BuildSys features co-located workshops on new trends or emerging topics of
interest to the BuildSys research community.

BuildSys 2019 Call for Workshops:
http://buildsys.acm.org/2019/workshops.html
<http://trackmyemails.org/1c92e995d1f999d35dde2f1bac182f67/7101210569915d55e49d3550f13858b1/dbb62788a17c18526da532c0cc1b0d84.html>

*Workshop Proposal Important Dates*
Proposal submission deadline: *April 20th, 2019 - Approaching soon!*
Notification: *April 28th, 2019 *

For Workshop Proposals, please submit your proposal in PDF format via email
directly to Semiha Ergan ([email-masked]) and Dan Wang (
[email-masked]). Only complete proposals with all required
information will be considered.

--------

*Call for Papers Reminder*
We solicit three types of original submissions:
- Regular papers for oral presentation (10 pages)
- Notes papers for oral presentation (4 pages)
- Abstract papers for short oral and optional poster presentations (2
pages) - **NEW Type of Paper Submission Option this Year**

Notes papers are 4-page papers intended to discuss preliminary research
results, advocate new research directions, describe public software or
datasets, or present short projects that do not warrant a 10-page paper.
Notes papers serve, in part, to encourage younger researchers and research
teams entering this field of research to share their work. We
also encourage Notes paper submissions from industry participants that may
not be able to devote resources to a full paper. While Notes papers are not
expected to have extensive evaluations, they will be reviewed based on the
novelty of their ideas, potential for impact, and quality of
presentation. This year we will also have abstract only papers, where the
presentation will include a very short oral and an optional
poster presentation. The abstract papers will be reviewed by a subset of
reviewers and focus on the novelty of the ideas and to encourage new topic
areas in BuildSys.

BuildSys 2019 Call for Papers: http://buildsys.acm.org/2019/cfp.html
<http://trackmyemails.org/1c92e995d1f999d35dde2f1bac182f67/7101210569915d55e49d3550f13858b1/4a085d30c51dc7f053a47499245dc251.html>

*Paper Submission Important Dates*
Abstract Registration: June 15, 2019, AOE
Paper Submission: June 22, 2019, AOE. (No further extension will be granted)
Paper Notification: August 1st, 2019, AOE
Submission site: TBD

--------

*Call for Posters/Demos Announcement*
BuildSys 2019 welcomes exciting demonstrations of novel technologies,
applications, and hardware for the built environment as well as posters
showing promising early work. We seek participation from both industry and
academia for demonstrations and posters. Selection of demonstration and
posters will be based on a short abstract, evaluated based on technical
merit and innovation as well as the potential to stimulate interesting
discussions and exchange of ideas at the conference.

The demo and poster session is a great forum to share your early stage work
to the broader audience. Accepted abstracts will appear in the regular
conference proceedings. At least one author of every accepted demonstration
or poster abstract is required to register and attend the conference.

BuildSys 2019 Call for Posters/Demos:
http://buildsys.acm.org/2019/posters.html
<http://trackmyemails.org/1c92e995d1f999d35dde2f1bac182f67/7101210569915d55e49d3550f13858b1/ca29f8d4ad05f527d07d43b8c0325c23.html>

*Poster abstract*Poster abstracts should report on research work where at
least some preliminary results are available, but they need not necessarily
describe completed work. An easel will be provided for all posters. All
poster abstract submissions must strictly adhere to the formatting
guidelines specified below.

*Demo abstract*Demo abstracts should describe both the technology being
showcased as well as the user experience of the demo. Tables, power, and
wireless connectivity will be provided. If a demo requires additional
special arrangements, please describe them clearly in your submission using
a separate third page (not part of the technical content of the abstract).
All demo abstract submissions must strictly adhere to the formatting
guidelines specified below. The authors of the accepted demos will
be invited to submit an optional short video together with the camera-ready
version of the abstract.

*Poster/Demo Important Dates*
Submission Deadline: August 10, 2019, 11:59:59pm AOE
Notification of acceptance: August 19, 2019, 11:59:59pm AOE
Camera-ready abstract: September 6, 2019, 11:59:59pm AOE
Submission site: TBD

--------

*Call for Doctoral Colloquium (PhD Forum) **Announcement*
The Doctoral Colloquium of BuildSys 2019 seeks to provide a friendly,
supportive, and constructive environment where PhD students can present
their research in progress for an open discussion guided by a panel of
experienced researchers. The Doctoral Colloquium will be structured as a
series of short presentations by the students followed by individual
discussions, feedback, and advice from the panel. Students with the most
inspiring topics will also be invited to present a poster during the main
conference to leverage further interaction with BuildSys attendees.

Current PhD students in the early stages of their career are encouraged to
submit a 2-page research summary describing the work in progress and
including a 100-word abstract. Things to consider for inclusion in the
research summary might be: the expected contribution to the field; the
original idea or thesis statement; the problem domain and the specific
problem addressed; a brief overview of related work; the methodological
approach; research carried out and results so far. The abstract should also
include a one-paragraph biography of the student, including the names and
affiliations of the research advisor(s), and expected date of dissertation
submission. The student should be the sole author, although contributions
of the advisor and others should be acknowledged.

The Doctoral Colloquium committee will review submissions to ensure
quality, relevance, and potential benefit from attendance. Authors of
accepted submissions are expected to participate in person to the Doctoral
Colloquium. There will be no separate registration fee for the Doctoral
Colloquium.

BuildSys 2019 Call for Doctoral Colloquium:
http://buildsys.acm.org/2019/doctoral.html
<http://trackmyemails.org/1c92e995d1f999d35dde2f1bac182f67/7101210569915d55e49d3550f13858b1/afc7abd011262bbcebbfc8f008c88ddf.html>

*Doctoral Colloquium Program*
The BuildSys Doctoral Colloquium will be held in conjunction with the
SenSys Doctoral Colloquium to enable students from both communities to
interact and receive constructive feedback on their work from a diverse set
of panelists.

Date: Sunday, November 10, 2019
Time: TBD
Location: TBD

*Doctoral Colloquium **Submissions*
Research summaries will be reviewed by the chairs and panel members. If the
work is accepted, a student may be expected to make clarifications and
improvements to the research summary by the camera-ready deadline.
Submissions must be received no later than October 7, 2019 via web
submission (HotCRP). Submissions must be in PDF format, be written in
English, of no more than two pages in length (all inclusive), and adhere to
the BuildSys/SenSys formatting styles found here. The abstract should
include the author’s name, affiliation, and email address.

*Doctoral Colloquium **Camera-Ready Guidelines*
The camera-ready paper must be submitted by the 26th of November 2018
(AOE). You should use the acmart.cls. Please note that ACM uses 9-pt fonts
in all conference proceedings, and the style (both LaTeX and Word)
implicitly define the font size to be 9-pt. The maximum number of pages for
poster and demos is 2, including the references. Please refer to
publication chair's Note as well as the User Guide of the new class. To
submit a Doctoral Colloquium abstract, please add " PhD Forum Abstract:" at
the beginning of the manuscript's title.

*Doctoral Colloquium Important Dates*
Submission Deadline: August 10, 2019, 11:59:59pm AOE
Notification of acceptance: August 19, 2019, 11:59:59pm AOE
Camera-ready abstract: September 6, 2019, 11:59:59pm AOE
Submission site: TBD

Regards,
Mostafa Mirshekari and Clayton Miller
BuildSys 2019 Publicity Chairs