Subject: [lp-wan] Ticket #4: DNS lookup (closed)

From: Ana Minaburo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 14:45:51 +0200

There were some suggestions to use the DNS lookup so that device send names
instead of addresses. So the Rule will have a DNS name as opposed to a
prefix/IID. Nevertheless, the appropriate value will be defined in the
corresponding technology documents.

Discussion during the Interim meeting on January 16th:
Ana said that this is possible but it is out of the scope of this document,
and it could be defined in the corresponding technologies documents or in
another document.

Edgar: IP is stable even when moving, maybe in roaming
Pascal: if IP address of application server is changed, we need to download
new rules in the device. Need to think about it.
Laurent: this doc is about compression and fragmentation. Comparing bits.
Not the way the context is installed.
Pascal: should be in a new document. Add a sentence that says that the rule
may be changed but it will be specified in another document
comment:1 <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/lpwan/ticket/4#comment:1>Changed 2
months ago
<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/lpwan/timeline?from=2018-01-26T01%3A48%3A29-08%3A00&precision=second>
 by ana@…

   - *Component* changed from *coap-static-context-hc* to
   *ipv6-static-context-hc*

comment:2 <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/lpwan/ticket/4#comment:2>Changed 5
weeks ago
<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/lpwan/timeline?from=2018-02-26T10%3A15%3A32-08%3A00&precision=second>
 by ana@…

   - *Resolution* set to *fixed*
   - *Status* changed from *new* to *closed*

Ana: I've added the sentence to the SCHC Rule section
comment:3 <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/lpwan/ticket/4#comment:3>Changed 0
seconds ago
<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/lpwan/timeline?from=2018-04-03T05%3A43%3A20-07%3A00&precision=second>
 by ana@…

To close this ticket, we have added the following text:
In section 6.1 SCHC C/D Rules

The main idea of the SCHC compression scheme is to transmit the Rule ID to
the other end instead of sending known field values. This Rule ID
identifies a rule that provides the closest match to the original packet
values. Hence, when a value is known by both ends, it is only necessary to
send the corresponding Rule ID over the LPWAN network.
How Rules are generated is out of the scope of this document. The rule MAY
be changed but it will be specified in another document.