Subject: [lp-wan] Ticket #8: Different Rule ID’s with same DTAG (closed)

From: Ana Minaburo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 11:34:28 +0200

Description  <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/lpwan/ticket/8#comment:description>

Yes, it is possible, we can use the same RUle for different packets.
comment:1 <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/lpwan/ticket/8#comment:1>Changed 2
months ago
<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/lpwan/timeline?from=2018-01-26T02%3A15%3A41-08%3A00&precision=second>
 by ana@…

When you fragment an SCHC packet, you will use the same Rule ID for all the
fragments, the same DTAG for all the fragments and different FCN to
recognize the fragments. So you will have to use for fragment 1 - Rule ID 1
- DTAG 1 - FCN 2N-2, for fragment 2 - Rule ID 1 - DTAG 1 - FCN 2N-3, etc
comment:2 <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/lpwan/ticket/8#comment:2>Changed 5
weeks ago
<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/lpwan/timeline?from=2018-02-26T13%3A18%3A19-08%3A00&precision=second>
 by ana@…

   - *Resolution* set to *fixed*
   - *Status* changed from *new* to *closed*

Interim Jan 30th
------------------------------

#8 <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/lpwan/ticket/8>: possible to have different
Rule IDs with same DTAG? DTAG is for fragmentation.

Laurent: Rule ID defines processing, DTAG defines packet that is being
fragmented.
Dominique: If Rule ID describes fragments vs. ACKs, then you can litterally
have different Rule IDs with the same DTAG. Was that the question?

Changed 0 seconds ago
<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/lpwan/timeline?from=2018-04-03T02%3A33%3A21-07%3A00&precision=second>
 by ana@…

This ticket is closed because it is an implementation problem.

The answer to this question is yes, we can have different Rule IDs with
different DTAGs, the document leaves this possibility open so it is
an implementation possibility, that is not optimal but you can do it.