Subject: [lp-wan] Problem in LoRaWAN profile definition

From: Rodrigo Muñoz Lara <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 00:58:17 -0400

Dear Author,

On page 10, in the draft "draft-ietf-lpwan-schc-over-lorawan-02",
indicates that in the case the end-device is the fragmentation
transmitter, and the SCHC gateway the fragmentation receiver.  Two
fragmentation rules are defined regarding the *FPort*:

   o  *FPortUpShort*: SCHC header is only one byte.  Used when
      fragmentation is required and payload size is less than 381 bytes.

   o  *FPortUpDefault*: SCHC header is two bytes.  Used for all other
      cases: no fragmentation required or payload size is between 382
      and 1524 byte.

What happens if the payload size is 381 bytes?. My question is because
if you see the first rule, said: "payload size is less than 381 bytes"
and the second rule said: "payload size is between 382 and 1524 byte".

What is the criterion for choosing these sizes?
We can choice the first rule assuming that should say "payload size is
less than or equal than 381 bytes"?

Thanks and Regards

-------------------------------------
Rodrigo Munoz Lara
Department of Electrical Engineering
Universidad de Chile
Santiago, Chile
[email-masked]

---

From: ivaylo petrov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 11:38:22 +0200

Dear Rodrigo,

Thank you for your email! Find my answers below (in blue).

Best regards,
Ivaylo Petrov

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 7:00 AM Rodrigo Muñoz Lara <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Dear Author,
>
> On page 10, in the draft "draft-ietf-lpwan-schc-over-lorawan-02", indicates that in the case the end-device is the fragmentation transmitter, and the SCHC gateway the fragmentation receiver.  Two fragmentation rules are defined regarding the *FPort*:
>
>
> What happens if the payload size is 381 bytes?. My question is because if you see the first rule, said: "payload size is less than 381 bytes" and the second rule said: "payload size is between 382 and 1524 byte".
>
> [IP]: The text should indeed read *less than or equal to 381 bytes.* Thank
you for pointing this out!

> [IP]: For FPortUpDefault we needed to support at least the IPv6 required
1280 bytes (see rfc2460 sec 5). Due to the tile size, we support slightly
more than that.
For FPortUpShort, the criteria was to minimize overhead in case of small
packets that are still too big to fit in only one L2 packet. Based on that
we decided to use 1 byte of SCHC header (as we always need some space for
FCN, we can not go below that without reducing too much the MTU and having
byte aligned operations is simpler to implement, thus reducing the chance
of issues in the implementation stage). From that, as indicated in 5.5.1.
and 5.5.1.1., you can have only 127 tiles. As the tile size was chosen to
be 3 bytes, this leads to a packet of at most 381 bytes.

> We can choice the first rule assuming that should say "payload size is less than or equal than 381 bytes"?
> 	
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> _______________________________________________
> lp-wan mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lp-wan
>