Subject: [lp-wan] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-19.txt> (Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) and fragmentation for LPWAN, application to UDP/IPv6) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 13:48:27 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 over Low Power Wide-Area
Networks WG (lpwan) to consider the following document: - 'Static Context
Header Compression (SCHC) and fragmentation for LPWAN,
   application to UDP/IPv6'
  <draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-19.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-07-19. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document defines the Static Context Header Compression (SCHC)
   framework, which provides both header compression and fragmentation
   functionalities.  SCHC has been designed for Low Power Wide Area
   Networks (LPWAN).

   SCHC compression is based on a common static context stored in both
   the LPWAN device and the network side.  This document defines a
   header compression mechanism and its application to compress IPv6/UDP
   headers.

   This document also specifies a fragmentation and reassembly mechanism
   that is used to support the IPv6 MTU requirement over the LPWAN
   technologies.  Fragmentation is needed for IPv6 datagrams that, after
   SCHC compression or when such compression was not possible, still
   exceed the layer-2 maximum payload size.

   The SCHC header compression and fragmentation mechanisms are
   independent of the specific LPWAN technology over which they are
   used.  This document defines generic functionalities and offers
   flexibility with regard to parameter settings and mechanism choices.
   This document standardizes the exchange over the LPWAN between two
   SCHC entities.  Settings and choices specific to a technology or a
   product are expected to be grouped into profiles, which are specified
   in other documents.  Data models for the context and profiles are out
   of scope.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.