Subject: [lp-wan] Protocol Action: 'LPWAN Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) for CoAP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-lpwan-coap-static-context-hc-19.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 09:20:28 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'LPWAN Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) for CoAP'
  (draft-ietf-lpwan-coap-static-context-hc-19.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 over Low Power Wide-Area Networks
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Erik Kline and Éric Vyncke.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lpwan-coap-static-context-hc/

Technical Summary

  This draft defines the way SCHC header compression can be applied to
  CoAP headers.  The CoAP header structure differs from IPv6 and UDP
  protocols since CoAP uses a flexible header with a variable number of
  options, themselves of variable length.  The CoAP protocol is
  asymmetric in its message format: the format of the packet header in
  the request messages is different from that in the response messages.

Working Group Summary

  The draft does not introduce new methods as the original SCHC does.
  This made the work much easier for the WG. On the other hand, the
  draft specifies how the existing SCHC mechanisms are to be used
  for a number of usual fields. The limit of the work is that the
  group could not try every possible CoAP variations and there may
  be cases where SCHC as it stands today is suboptimal. The group
  decided to ship as is, and possibly publish a refresher when more
  experience is gained.

Document Quality

  This draft is implemented by at least one vendor, Acklio.
  There is also an openSCHC implementation in python.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Pascal Thubert. The Responsible Area Director is Éric Vyncke.