Subject: [Lsr] RFC 8706 on Restart Signaling for IS-IS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 15:05:39 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8706

        Title:      Restart Signaling for IS-IS 
        Author:     L. Ginsberg,
                    P. Wells
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Obsoletes:  RFC 5306

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-lsr-isis-rfc5306bis-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8706

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8706

This document describes a mechanism for a restarting router to signal
to its neighbors that it is restarting, allowing them to reestablish
their adjacencies without cycling through the DOWN state while still
correctly initiating database synchronization.

This document additionally describes a mechanism for a router to
signal its neighbors that it is preparing to initiate a restart while
maintaining forwarding-plane state. This allows the neighbors to
maintain their adjacencies until the router has restarted but also
allows the neighbors to bring the adjacencies down in the event of
other topology changes.

This document additionally describes a mechanism for a restarting
router to determine when it has achieved Link State Protocol Data
Unit (LSP) database synchronization with its neighbors and a
mechanism to optimize LSP database synchronization while minimizing
transient routing disruption when a router starts.

This document obsoletes RFC 5306.

This document is a product of the Link State Routing Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC