Subject: RFC 5276 on Using the Server-Based Certificate Validation Protocol (SCVP) to Convey Long-Term Evidence Records

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:37:21 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5276

        Title:      Using the Server-Based Certificate Validation 
                    Protocol (SCVP) to Convey Long-Term Evidence 
                    Records 
        Author:     C. Wallace
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       August 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 27422
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ltans-ers-scvp-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5276.txt

The Server-based Certificate Validation Protocol (SCVP) defines an
extensible means of delegating the development and validation of
certification paths to a server.  It can be used to support the
development and validation of certification paths well after the
expiration of the certificates in the path by specifying a time of
interest in the past.  The Evidence Record Syntax (ERS) defines
structures, called evidence records, to support the non-repudiation
of the existence of data.  Evidence records can be used to preserve
materials that comprise a certification path such that trust in the
certificates can be established after the expiration of the
certificates in the path and after the cryptographic algorithms used
to sign the certificates in the path are no longer secure.  This
document describes usage of the SCVP WantBack feature to convey
evidence records, enabling SCVP responders to provide preservation
evidence for certificates and certificate revocation lists (CRLs).  
[STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Long-Term Archive and Notary Services Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute