Subject: [ltans] "Proof Source Provider" - new term for use in describing trust chains in document hierarchies

From: Todd Glassey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 08:17:02 -0700

Folks -
I want to propose a new term for describing certain relationships in a 
network model. The term is  "Proof Source Provider" or PSP and it means 
some service which is providing a trust-anchor for some other process or 
the like. The PSP is the party or system which provides the oversight 
and process control for an TRUST-ANCHOR - the component of the trust 
element which ties the specific content to that trust element. The Term 
Trust Anchor (now widely in use in Secure DNS) was coined in PKIX 
several years ago but is critically valuable now in other areas and we 
should embrace both it and the idea of the Proof Source Provider and the 
Proof Source they use to cerate admissibility for the evidence.

It (PSP)  pertains then to auditing trust relationships and their 
ability to convey policy and control over a larger methodology and is a 
key part of relational trust models which are propagated across multiple 
technologies and would be used in LTANS Security and other key processes.

Why this is important is that systems and processes which we would build 
from these technologies would also perform functions in the real world 
which would have legal implications and so the ability to represent 
trust-anchor processes in the records created would admissible in global 
courts. This nomenclature provides a resource for this and other uses.

Todd Glassey

---

From: "Carl Wallace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:25:02 -0400

It's not clear to me what you are proposing, i.e., alteration of
existing specs to use the new terminology, preparation of auditing
guidelines, specification of protocols for distributing trust anchors,
definition of structures for binding trust anchors to document
hierarchies, or something else.  A draft may help establish context.
Depending on the nature of the work, LTANS may not be the best place to
pursue it, but if pursued here re-chartering would be required. 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> Of Todd Glassey
> Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:17 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [ltans] "Proof Source Provider" - new term for use in
> describing trust chains in document hierarchies
> 
> Folks -
> _______________________________________________
> ltans mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltans

---

From: Todd Glassey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:53:12 -0700

Carl Wallace wrote:
> guidelines, 
Hey Carl how goes it. Hope all is well with you!

In answer to your question - "Specifically the preparation of auditing 
guidelines to use for evaluating LTANS systems so we can get their 
operational tools into production in evidence management as soon as 
possible". Which is to say we have a prototype system we are starting to 
test which uses NTP as the core of the time-management practice and an 
integrated LTANS model for managing the DRM and Object Controls on the 
Documents.

I have been professionally working on this since the mid 1990's when I 
left Coastek (1996) and approached Datum to build my secured clock for 
my email and document controls. Now its time to roll that NTP-based 
LTANS-type Management solution out. An effort which lead to the US 
Patent filing for "Controlling Access to Stored Information" (issued as 
US 6370629).

Todd
> specification of protocols for distributing trust anchors,
>> network model. The term is  "Proof Source Provider" or PSP and it
>>     
> means
>   
>> element which ties the specific content to that trust element. The
>>     
> Term
>   
>> ability to convey policy and control over a larger methodology and is
>>     
> a
>   
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>
>> No virus found in this incoming message.
>> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com 
>> Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.99/2372 - Release Date: 09/15/09 05:59:00
>>
>>