Subject: [ltans] I have been reviewing the LTANS documents published in Internet...

From: Carlos Alberto Cadena Sandoval <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 17:51:58 +0000

Dear Team of LTANS,

I have been reviewing the LTANS documents published in Internet.

A bit apart of LTANS, would you tell me if there are RFC´s or norms (ISO, ETSI, ...) about migration from original paper documents to electronic ones? I mean, to scan paper documents to get electronic documents (Word, PDF, ...) such that they can be recognized legally.

Thank you and I hope to hearing from you soon.

Carlos Cadena

---

From: todd glassey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 08:15:49 -0700

On 4/6/2011 10:51 AM, Carlos Alberto Cadena Sandoval wrote:
> A bit apart of LTANS, would you tell me if there are RFC´s or norms 
> (ISO, ETSI, ...) about migration from original paper documents to 
> electronic ones? I mean, to scan paper documents to get electronic 
> documents (Word, PDF, ...) such that they can be recognized legally.
>
Carlos - the thing your are referring to is a OCR and Policy standard 
for how content is recognized and then converted to Long-Term Storage so 
lets look at that process

     1)    Photographic capture of a paper document and the separation 
of the document into its discrete components including the attachments.

     2)    OCR practice to identify all of the key content areas on the 
document and its formatting or workflow. This has two key issues and 
they are Reading-Flow Order (i.e right to left, left to right, top to 
bottom etc) and Actual Content Recognition.

     3)    Once the content recognition is completed then the content 
can be re-encapsulated into a containment which is XML or whatever in 
form.  This is a POLICY DRIVEN encapsulation to deal with a) text 
objects, and b) graphical or other digital content objects or attachments

     4)    The LTANS encapsulation (the document induction process) can 
now start...

Does this help?

Todd Glassey
> Carlos Cadena
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> ltans mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltans

---

From: Istvan Zsolt BERTA <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 10:10:25 +0200

Dear Carlos,

In ETSI we did a work on secure long term storage (or information 
preservation).
http://portal.etsi.org/STFs/STF_HomePages/STF401/STF401.asp

Its primary focus was to develop policy requirements for information 
preservation service providers and to give guidelines to their auditors. 
They are based on ISO 27001, and are extended with information 
preservation specific controls.

Although it is not its primary focus, it does have a short section on 
the conversion of paper based documents to (authentic) electronic documents.

The work is finished and accepted (by ETSI) the following two documents 
are going to be published soon (around May or June):

* ETSI TS 101 533-1 Information Preservation Systems Security - Part 1: 
Requirements for Implementation and Management, 2011.

* ETSI TR 101 533-2 Information Preservation Systems Security - Part 2 
Guidelines for Assessors, 2011.

I am not aware of any other international norms on on the migration of 
paper based documents to electronic ones, but I cannot say there are not 
any. In my country, in Hungary we have legal regulations governing this 
area.

Regards,

István

---

From: Tobias Gondrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 19:58:06 +0100

Dear Carlos,

well at first, to my knowledge there are no RFCs about the migration of
paper documents to electronic ones.
Equally I am not aware of any ISO standards about this specific topic.

But there are actually a number of national documentations and
guidelines about process policies to migrate from paper to electronic
documents. Usually these include process documentation and
organizational controls to ensure correct transfer. Personally I find
some of these guidelines overshoot a bit on the volume relative to the
needed process. In many cases it is covered by national laws which in
some cases refer to industry guidelines. (There might also be European
guidelines influencing some of the national guidelines.) 
A most common scenario to look at is for example for processes to scan
invoices and store them as electronic documents.

Depending on your specific need/use case I would recommend to look at
the existing guidelines in your country/jurisdiction.
(And if you want to write guidelines for your country, you can drop me
an email and I might be able to help dig out some published process
guidelines from other countries.)

Kind regards, Tobias

---

From: "Aljosa Jerman Blazic" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:24:06 +0200

Dera Carlos

You may want to check MoReq, model requirements for management of electronic records. I think there is a section on paper to electronic form transformation. These model requirments happened to be basics for legislation in some of the european countries. ISO is also a good resource. 

Link: http://www.dlmforum.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=901&Itemid=20&lang=en

Regards

Aljosa

Sent from my iPad

On 10. apr. 2011, at 20:58, "Tobias Gondrom" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dear Carlos, 
> 
> well at first, to my knowledge there are no RFCs about the migration of paper documents to electronic ones. 
> But there are actually a number of national documentations and guidelines about process policies to migrate from paper to electronic documents. Usually these include process documentation and organizational controls to ensure correct transfer. Personally I find some of these guidelines overshoot a bit on the volume relative to the needed process. In many cases it is covered by national laws which in some cases refer to industry guidelines. (There might also be European guidelines influencing some of the national guidelines.)  
> A most common scenario to look at is for example for processes to scan invoices and store them as electronic documents.
> 
> Depending on your specific need/use case I would recommend to look at the existing guidelines in your country/jurisdiction. 
> (And if you want to write guidelines for your country, you can drop me an email and I might be able to help dig out some published process guidelines from other countries.)
> 
> Kind regards, Tobias
> 
> 
>

---

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:31:51 +0200

soory for the late response. the following documnts may be of interest

     * l'ISO/TR 15801 : Document management — Information stored electronically — Recommendations 
for trustworthiness and reliability
     * le DoD 5015-2  : ELECTRONIC RECORDS  MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE APPLICATIONS DESIGN CRITERIA

regards Peter