Subject: OT - RE: [Ltru] Great Script Debate Part II: Formats...

From: "L.Gillam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:52:29 +0100

The remark itself, with the validation you document, I can understand.
But the generalisation, and the purpose of the remark....... well,
I am unable to pass through it to get somewhere useful. 

> > "language is the first and basic social contract of a nation"
> 
> This remark isn't impenetrable; it's just true of some 
> nations (Poland and
> Bangladesh come to mind) and false of others (Nigeria comes to mind).
> All nations have speakers of minority languages, but some nations make
> a common language central to their national identity.

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 00:20:48 +0200

hmmmm... This may be because you use "nation" in thinking of "country", 
"government", "territory" etc. which seems also to be valid meanings in 
American/English. However the following meaning seems well included (and I 
use and understand the term in this sense): "a people who share common 
customs, origins, history, and frequently language;" or "an American tribe 
and territory".

This is one of the key problem of the use of ISO 3166 to document 
languages. It implies that languages come from territories and 
administrative rules (like the erroneous comment made recently here about 
the French Academy). But the languages come from nations, as Governments 
may also do, nation conquer territories. The French Academy is a support of 
the people's liberty to be understood with precision all over the nation 
and throughout the times, to see meanings conserved and new meaning or 
words easily forged or aggegated to be quickly and efficiently supported 
and aggregated. A function current computerized systems will probably 
undertake. The reason why they tagging is so important to people.
jfc