Subject: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #900] remove region subtag 200

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 02:11:56 +0000

Hi -

Message  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg00379.html
proposed removing region subtag 200.

Discussion?

Randy

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 02:11:57 +0000

Hi -

Discussion?

Randy

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 04:24:53 +0200

[email-masked] wrote:

> removing region subtag 200.

Yes, a hopeless case.  Dito 172 in ticket #899, for the
reasons stated by Doug.  Dito anything else in Doug's
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg00379.html

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:41:05 -0700

> Message
> proposed removing region subtag 200.

200 is the UN M.49 code for Czechoslovakia, now withdrawn from UN use,
like other codes for countries no longer in existence.  It was
originally proposed as a way to allow content previously tagged with the
old "CS" region subtag to be retagged, avoiding the ambiguity of the new
"CS" code meaning Serbia and Montenegro, and without requiring the
tagger to know whether the original "Czechoslovakia" should be mapped to
the current Czech Republic (CZ) or to Slovakia (SK).  There is probably
no way to know whether content would actually be retagged in this way.

Frank Ellermann originally opposed this subtag, then appeared to soften
his objection.  Conversely, I originally supported the subtag, then grew
less supportive of it.  I don't recall any other dialogue concerning
this subtag.  It was retained in the April 6 registry.  Currently I am
*very weakly* in favor of removing it.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:21:56 -0400

> *very weakly* in favor of removing it.

The -01 draft has a paragraph talking about it, and I have proposed an
editorial change to strengthen its exceptionality.  So I do support it,
specially called out in the RFC as an exception for a particular purpose
to the general rules about M.49 codes.

-- 
Principles.  You can't say A is         John Cowan <[email-masked]>
made of B or vice versa.  All mass      http://www.reutershealth.com
is interaction.  --Richard Feynman      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan