Subject: [Ltru] New registry with Suppress_Script

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:40:45 -0700

Now that there's a draft that reflects the apparent consensus on
Suppress_Script, I've posted a revised registry that reflects the draft.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/lstreg.txt

For the initial Suppress_Script data, I used the "language_info.txt"
file that Mark Davis mentioned a day or so ago.  This file lists 125
languages that have only one associated script each.  Note that 85 of
these 125 listings, or 68 percent, are for Latin; the next most common
script (Cyrillic) is listed only 6 times.

The only other significant change is the addition of 10 new redundant
records, matching the 10 new scripts registered under RFC 3066 last
week.

For the next version, I'd like to consider re-sorting the language and
region entries.  Currently the 2-letter language subtags are separate
from, and sorted before, the 3-letter language subtags, while the
2-letter ISO 3166-based region subtags all appear before the 3-digit UN
M.49-based subtags.  Sorting these properly would cause the language
subtags to be intermixed, and would place the numeric region subtags
ahead of the alphabetic subtags.  If anyone opposes this for the next
registry, please speak up.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:54:36 +0200

> http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/lstreg.txt

Thanks.  How do you want to handle missing Suppress-Script
entries ?  I risk to propose Latn for fy, li, and oc, but
discussing this here could be messy.  A temporary list of
languages known to have no or more than one script could
help to fill the gaps.

> 10 new scripts registered under RFC 3066 last week.

Scripts registered under 3066 ?  Oh, the zh-landrush, if
and only if IANA publishes these tags, so far they didn't.
IANA is the relevant source for this part of the registry.

> I'd like to consider re-sorting the language and region
> entries.

Alphabetically by (sub)tags per type is fine.  With types
in the order language, script, region, etc. as you have it.

Region numbers before or after codes:  whatever you like,
I'd use ASCII order.  Mixing alpha-2 and alpha-3 language
tags alphabetically:  good idea.

But please don't try to sort tags based on the Description.

                        Bye, Frank

Lever dod as slav