Subject: [Ltru] Re: +AFs-Ltru+AF0- Re: Proposed changes to region subtags

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:04:09 -0700

John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth dot com> wrote:

>> We could reverse the slash to a backslash, Java-style...
>
> The annoyance is then that you need to use two of them to represent a
> non-BMP character, which artificially imports UTF-16 rules into the
> stream of characters.

Other than the fact that there aren't likely to be many non-BMP
characters in the registry, couldn't this be simply expanded to the
capital-U form, thus "\U00010414"?

>> Using XML references would require the ampersand to be escaped (there
>> aren't any of those in the registry either), and poses an interesting
>> problem with the semicolon, which is already escaped because of its
>> role in separating lists (e.g. of recommended prefixes)...
>
> I don't understand any of this.  Why does the existing format escape
> semicolons?  They aren't used as record-jar delimiters.

Because of their role in separating lists (e.g. of recommended
prefixes).

> Furthermore, XML character references don't require escaped
> semicolons, because they are magic only inside a character (or entity)
> reference.

I see your point.  Then we would have:

Description: Occitan (post 1500)&#x003B Proven&#x00E7;al

Is that OK?  Does the semicolon that terminates the character reference
cause any problems that anyone can see?

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru