Subject: [Ltru] Re: draft review

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 23:50:59 -0700

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin <jefsey at jefsey dot com> wrote:

>>> The concern on this point is high enough to see the Draft blocked.
>>
>> Whose concern?  Blocked by whom?  Vague and unfounded.
>
> Unless IESG drops the rule of consensus, there is no possible
> consensus on the present Draft. I am a documentation of it. At the
> present stage I can only oppose. This is why I try to see my
> opposition reduced. But this is a consensus process, not a compromise
> and obviously not an enforcement process. This means that at the end
> of the day APMD and I must be equally satisfied with the result.

"Consensus" in an IETF Working Group means "rough consensus."  It does
not require absolute unanimity.  If you doubt this, ask the chairs, or
go over their heads to the ADs.

>>> Concerns are also the double "-" which is specifically used by the
>>> IANA code "xn".
>>
>> The IDN code space is unrelated in any way to the language tag code
>> space.
>
> Private assumption.
> BTW I say otherwise. It is at least through RFC 1958 basic principle
> and consistency rule.

Please point out a passage in RFC 1958 that says that if one protocol
uses a character sequence such as "--", that no other protocol may use
that same two-character sequence, no matter how unrelated the uses are.

Language tags are not encoded in Punycode.  Domain names,
internationalized or otherwise, do not contain language tags.  There is
no conflict.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 01:38:51 +0200

Doug Ewell wrote:

> If you doubt this, ask the chairs, or go over their heads to
> the ADs.

Jefsey has already congratulated Brian Carpeter on his ASCII
artwork with consensus / rough consensus / wrong question in
ietf.general.

Unrelated but maybe interesting:  draft-lilly-content-script-01

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lilly-content-script-01.txt

              Bye, Frank