Subject: [Ltru] Re: 003 vs. 021

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:23:44 -0700

I'm not really picking Frank as the target for all my posts, it just
seems that way.  :-)

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> Apparently you have neither 419 nor 003.  But the LTRU draft
> mentions 419.  Actually both 419 and 003 are somewhat dubious,
> at most one of them could be okay, but none of them is better.

419 fits cleanly into the hierarchy:  019 (Americas) comprises 021
(everything north of the U.S.-Mexico border and the Gulf of Mexico) and
419 (everything south).  I don't see anything "dubious" about that.

003 is the one that doesn't fit, and I would be happy to remove it if
there is a consensus that to do so would not be arbitrary.

I've already mentioned that UNSD appears to have revised their list of
macrogeographical codes in January, while I wasn't looking :-(.  I need
to go through the list again, so the registry that comes out this
weekend will reflect the latest version.

In the meantime, can we get a show of hands with regard to keeping 003
vs. throwing it out?  Without mixing in any other issues, please?

> Where's the difference between es-019 and es-419 ?  If it's
> about immigrants from Cuba to Florida, Mexico to California,
> etc., then it's es-CU, es-MX, es-019, or es-US, and es-419 (or
> es-003) are not strictly necessary.

There's a lot of Spanish spoken here in Southern California, and it's
not quite the same as es-MX, even though the speakers are primarily
Mexican or of Mexican descent.  And it's definitely not the same as
Florida Spanish (which isn't quite es-CU) or New York Spanish (which
isn't quite es-PR).

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 06:57:12 -0700

> vs. throwing it out?

Don't remove it.

‎Mark