Subject: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #899] remove region subtag 172

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 02:09:17 +0000

Hi -

The proposal to remove region subtag 172 appeared in
 http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg00379.html

Discussion?

Randy

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 02:09:16 +0000

Hi -

Discussion?

Randy

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:33:30 -0700

>  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg00379.html

Region subtag 172 is "Commonwealth of Independent States."  Although
found among the otherwise-inappropriate "economic codes," this UN code
actually represents a political and geographic region, more like
"Eastern Africa" or "Melanesia" than like "Small Island Developing
States."

In retrospect, there is probably not much need for this subtag that
could not be met by other macrogeographical subtags.  It also represents
an exception to the general rule of not using codes from the economic
category, even though it is not unequivocally an economic code.

There was neither support nor opposition on the list with regard to
removing this subtag.  It was removed in the April 6 registry, but could
easily be reinstated.  I am not dogmatic about it either way.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 23:06:07 -0700

Hi -

Ok, I've marked this one as "resolved" as well.

Randy

> From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:33 PM
> Subject: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #899] remove region subtag 172
>

>  http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
...