Subject: RE: [Ltru] New version posted: ready for publication??

From: Misha Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:51:31 +0100

We're getting there :-)

I think I'm clear why 'UND' is referred to below sometimes as a tag 
and sometimes as a subtag.  Will the reader be equally clear?

Thanks,
Misha

<t>The 'UND' (Undetermined) primary language subtag SHOULD NOT be used
to label content, even if the language is unknown. Omitting the tag is
preferred. The 'UND' tag may be useful for protocols that require a
language tag to be provided. The 'UND' subtag may also be useful when
matching language tags in certain situations.</t>

-----------------------------------------------------------------
        Visit our Internet site at http://www.reuters.com

To find out more about Reuters Products and Services visit http://www.reuters.com/productinfo 

Any views expressed in this message are those of  the  individual
sender,  except  where  the sender specifically states them to be
the views of Reuters Ltd.

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Marion Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:34:38 +0100

Tag 'UND' still worries me a bit, as it echoes 'UN' (United Nations). 

Would it be possible to use some other combination (say, XXX)? 

Only a suggestion (not wishing to add to your difficulties).
mg

Scríobh Misha Wolf:
> ...

Scríobh Addison Phillips:
> 
> Yes, I agree. How about:
> 
> --
> 
> <t>The 'UND' (Undetermined) primary language subtag SHOULD NOT be used to label content, even if the language is unknown. Omitting the tag is preferred. The 'UND' tag may be useful for protocols that require a language tag to be provided. The 'UND' subtag may also be useful when matching language tags in certain situations.</t>
> 
> --
> 
> Addison

-- 

Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an 
Bhóthair, Co. Átha Cliath, Éire.
* [email-masked] * [email-masked] *

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:45:47 -0400

> Would it be possible to use some other combination (say, XXX)? 

The assignment of RFC 639-2 tags like this one is entirely out of our
hands.

-- 
John Cowan  [email-masked]  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
"The exception proves the rule."  Dimbulbs think: "Your counterexample proves
my theory."  Latin students think "'Probat' means 'tests': the exception puts
the rule to the proof."  But legal historians know it means "Evidence for an
exception is evidence of the existence of a rule in cases not excepted from."

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:49:15 +0200

> Tag 'UND' still worries me a bit, as it echoes 'UN' (United

<http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/langcodes.html#uvwxyz>

UNDetermined was NIH (not invented here), bye, Frank

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:59:20 -0700

My suggestion:

The 'UND' (Undetermined) primary language subtag SHOULD NOT be used in
language tags
to label content, even if the language is unknown. Omitting the tag is
preferred. The 'UND' subtag may be needed for protocols that require a
language tag to be provided. The 'UND' subtag may also be useful when
matching language tags in certain situations.</t>

‎Mark

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Misha Wolf" <[email-masked]>
To: "ltru Working Group" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 11:51
Subject: RE: [Ltru] New version posted: ready for publication??

We're getting there :-)

Thanks,
Misha

To find out more about Reuters Products and Services visit
http://www.reuters.com/productinfo