Subject: [Ltru] Re: hyphen-minus

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:16:17 -0700

James Cloos <cloos plus ietf dash ltru at jhcloos dot com> wrote:

> If that is a glottal stop, àla Hawaiʻian’s ʻokina, it should really
> be U+02BB MODIFIER LETTER TURNED COMMA rather than U+2018.  Even if
> not, is it still the case that U+02BB is a letter whereas U+2018 is
> punctuation....
> ...
> Same argument as above, but using U+02BC MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE
> for Nʼko.

I completely agree with Frank that we are not in a position to correct
the standards' use of Unicode, even if we know we are right.  We only
have two justifiable courses of action here:

1.  accept what the underlying standard has, or
2.  reduce it to ASCII or Latin-1.

>>> Gwich´in --> Gwich'in
>
> Frank> better use &#xB4; ACUTE ACCENT
>
> That one is confusing.  If you are going to use 10646 there must be
> a better choice than a spacing acute accent....

There are tons of better choices.  U+00B4 is not even an apostrophe, and
if an acute accent is desired (over an h?) then it should be U+0301.  I
was willing to correct this to the vanilla apostrophe U+0027, but
Frank's suggestion to leave all of these alone is probably more
defensible.

> 8859-1 is probably better right now for interoperability.  If 10646
> is used then every effort should be made to use the best characters
> even if homographs may be easier to enter on many (most?) keyboards.

I appreciate your input, James.  Anyone else?

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru