Subject: [Ltru] language or price tag ?

From: Jefsey Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:44:30 +0200

http://www.dailypress.net/letters/story/046202005_let01-l0406.asp
This type of consideration is exactly the kind of problem we all face and 
that langtags should participate into the resolution.
jfc

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 12:26:47 -0700

Hi -

> From: "Jefsey Morfin" <[email-masked]>
> To: "ltru Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 9:44 AM
> Subject: [Ltru] language or price tag ?
>

> that langtags should participate into the resolution.
...

I find this puzzling.  The letter in question advocates the adoption of
an official national language in the US, and uses the cost of supporting
multilingual access as justification.  Are you proposing that the WG's
members should  somehow lobby to rescind corresponding laws
in countries that have designated certain languages as "official"?
That would be *far* outside our charter.

Randy

---

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 01:34:53 +0200

>That would be *far* outside our charter.

Shhhhh... Please read my comment.
Am I not clear enough in saying that such considerations are precisely the 
problem we face?
And we should bring another solution to.

I advocate that such problems we all face (reality) should be addressed by 
techies more cleverly than in using ISO 3166 political divisions as 
language divisions; and that the cost reduction permited by a computer 
supported granular multilinguism and the legal aspects permitted by a less 
"prototype" and more multilingual internet architecture would allow 
politics to search, experiment and adopt more clever solutions. Our charter 
is not to rebuild the world (as some seems to want it), but to better adapt 
to and serve the world the way it is, to permit laws to be more adapted, 
and cost lower for better services to the people.

The internet is the multilingual network of the multilingual people by the 
multilingual people. Our role is not to serve our egoes or RFCs, but to 
make it work, to make it work well, to make it work cheap and to make it 
work now.

There is no doubt that whatever the result, this WG will have a price tag 
for the world. I only hope it can be as low or as negative (for a cost) as 
possible. When ICANN responded its brillantly obscure press release to the 
mobile telephone industry and its still more confuse response to MINC, 
Verisign and i-DNs on multilingual DNs both in summer 2000, an evaluation 
has been carried by a Canadian cabinet, about the resulting cost of just 
not understanding them and of the consequences, to 5 and 10 millions of $.

Obviously the impact of langtags will be much more. One way or another. 
IMHO in the billion range over the years.
But I am not the only one having figured that out.
jfc