Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: -01 nits

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:50:55 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of
> Doug Ewell

> > * There's still a *("-" extlang) in the ABNF, it should be at most
one
> >   ["-" extlang].
> 
> This is a technical issue, not an editorial one.  It has not yet been
> decided that there should be a limit of one extended language subtag.

I agree that this is a technical issue which has not been adequately
discussed.

> You and John Cowan argued in favor of this limit, and I would agree
> unless someone can present a reasonable use case for multiple extlangs
> (zh-min-nan does not count).

> > At most one extlang, otherwise it doesn't fly with RfC 2231 / 2047.

This requires some explanation.

Let me present a scenario: Suppose aaa is a macrolanguage category in
ISO 639-3 and bbb is an individual language encompassed by it. So, in
3066ter, we could create a tag aaa-bbb. Now suppose ccc gets added to
ISO 639-3 and is given a macrolanguage-membership relation to bbb. How
would we want to tag content in ccc?

ccc?
aaa-ccc?
bbb-ccc?
aaa-bbb-ccc?

I'm not saying I expect this to happen in ISO 639-3 in the future; I
just don't know that I can rule it out. (The definitions I wrote for the
DIS assume an entry has one particular scope; that would need a bit of
adjustment if this were to happen. I suppose it would be possible to
enforce in 639-3 that this kind of thing not be permitted, though that
would require certain policies on maintenance.)

Peter Constable

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru