Subject: [Ltru] Re: -01 nits

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:34:02 -0700

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> * Several "2-character code", "3-character code", "4-character
subtags":
>   Using "alpha-2 code" etc. would be clearer and shorter where the
ABNF
>   dictates 2ALPHA etc.

Whereupon Addison proceeded to replace all instances of "2-character
code" with "two character code," and similarly for 3 and 4.

I don't like this change.  I find the numbers in "2-character" or
"2-letter" or "alpha-2" much easier to pick out of a sea of text than
the English word "two."  My college journalism professors are tsk-tsking
at me for saying this ("always spell out numbers ten and under"), but
this is a technical document, not the Times.  I also miss the hyphen
between "two" (or "2") and "character."

Furthermore, I don't think it's what Frank had in mind.  I think he just
meant to have the varying uses of "alpha-2," "2-character," etc.
normalized to a single compact term, not to have the word "two" spelled
out.

This isn't a showstopper for me, but the technical writer in me doesn't
like it.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru