Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: Compatibility with existing use (LDAP)

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:45:14 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]

> > This whole argument is a strawman. The number of cases in which tags
of
> > the form ll-Ssss-CC will be used are limited.
> 
> You have absolutely no way of knowing that that will be the case. 

Your "back-compat" failure has to do specifically with cases in which
ll-CC tags are now used. The number of cases from among these for which
we would considerable it reasonable to use a script ID are indeed
limited. Of course, we cannot guarantee that no one will ever use
something like "en-Latn-GB", but we should not get overly concerned
about bad-practice usage.

Peter Constable

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:12:14 +0200

Peter Constable wrote:

> Of course, we cannot guarantee that no one will ever use
> something like "en-Latn-GB", but we should not get overly
> concerned about bad-practice usage.

At the moment the complete formal definition of "bad practice"
is an appeal to "use tags wisely", that's not enough.  We need
either language => script or script => language(s) pointers to
define bad practice or good practice.

                            Bye, Frank

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:29:33 -0700

I have no objection to having a "Default Script" in the registry, for *some*
(important) kinds of matching. For example, if you are matching for the
purpose of fallback, matching en-US to en-Latn as a fallback is perfectly
reasonable. And for those cases, we can recommend that the script not be
included if it is the 'default'.

In other kinds of matching, such as for documents queries, such as default
script is not warranted. The tag en-US means English in *any* script as used
in the US. As such, the user would not expect to reject some text that
happened to be in, say, Cyrillic transliteration (and before anyone says
otherwise, this can in fact exist; one of the people in my group has copies
of magazines and other documents from Serbia that do just that; they simply
transliterate flows of text in English into Cyrillic so that the script is
uniform on the page).

‎Mark