Subject: [Ltru] Re: Registry in record-jar format

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 13:03:06 -0700

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin <jefsey at jefsey dot com> wrote:

> The first thing you are to publish in a compilation - as in every open
> source code - is the list of your sources and of their intellectual
> property rights or acknowledgements. So everyone can make its own
> compilation.

I thought one of the things we wanted to avoid was having everyone make
his own compilation.  That's how we end up with mismatched versions and
incompatible implementations.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 01:23:02 +0200

>incompatible implementations.

Dear Doug,
the Internet is the "adherence of the people to the network of the people 
by the people". There is no "we" able to decide anything. You can only 
convince by the quality, the usefulness and the availability of the service 
you propose. Consensus is not a rule, it is a prerequisite which does not 
give any warranty of success ("not all RFCs become standards"). Looking for 
consensus is only an incentive to be good and professional. The flaw is to 
ask friends on a list "what do you want" instead of "what will the users 
want (to pay for?)" (and to try to ban those disagreeing with your own 
vision!). There is a basic network law: everything permitted by the code 
which may hurt, be fun, make money, or be useful to some will be attempted 
and may develop. Another on a closed or global network is "everything 
another member thinks bad for him is bad for you".

Obviously everyone who is not happy with yours will do his own compilation 
(I only wait for yours to know if I can make it compatible with the ones I 
make for many years) - this is the very nature of competition and of 
networking!  This is why you have two priorities:
- make me happy enough so I do not develop my own solution and I can use yours
- if I continue developing mine our solutions stay compatible with all the 
others. This is the only interest of the IANA registration. This is why I 
keep asking about the target.

The target cannot be to build and maintain a table avoiding mismatched 
versions and incompatible implementations controlled by a lawyer and 
enforced by a cop. It can only be to propose practices which will preserve 
end to end compatibility between the different implementations and versions 
which may attract the users.

I know, multilateral, intelligent and distributed networking calls for more 
skills, vision and work than for the prototype unilateral, default and 
centralized network.

jfc