Subject: [Ltru] Re: Date of deprecation (was: Re: Registry in record-jar format)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 22:19:37 -0700

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

>> There have already been complaints about the size of the
>> registry (maybe not now, but once the ISO 639-3 codes are
>> added).
>
> And some possible solutions, like an A..Z organization.  Scott
> said that IANA won't try to be smart unless we tell them what
> to do (or that's how I interpreted his remark).

The registry *is* in alphabetic order, of course -- but by subtag, not
description.

> If the size is a problem, then the number of 7000+ entries is
> the key, the size of individual entries is secondary.

Remember, we don't have this 7000+ problem until (a) ISO 639-3 comes
along and (b) we go through this process all over again to incorporate
support for it.

> [ Is this use of "secondary" en-DE or still en ? ;-) ]

That's how I would have said it.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 16:03:55 +0200

Doug Ewell wrote:
 
> The registry *is* in alphabetic order, of course -- but by
> subtag, not description.

Sure, but at the moment it's in one file.  For 7000+ languages
it might be better to have one file per tag, and an additional
directory view sorted by date, not only by "filename" (= tag).

Or maybe 26 A..Z files for the languages, plus another file for
the rest (scripts, regions, variants, grandfathered entries).

> we don't have this 7000+ problem until (a) ISO 639-3 comes
> along and (b) we go through this process all over again to
> incorporate support for it.

One of our chairs proposed to prepare the LTRU registry as far
as possible for this case.  IMHO a good idea, of course not for
what you plan to publish tomorrow.
                                   Bye, Frank