Subject: RE: [Ltru] considerations for ISO 639-6 at consensus? (was: newversion posted online)

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:26:54 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of
> Addison Phillips

> Personally, I'd favor changing the rules in Section 3.5 (possibilities
for registration) to
> say that alpha4 subtags will not be considered for registration of
primary languages
> "anticipating work that is currently under way on ISO 639".

I have a bit of reservation about this wording. In contrast to the
situation with ISO 639-3, which had passed a CD ballot prior to any
suggestion that anything anticipatory be done in the RFC, the ISO 639-6
project is just beginning; I believe a working draft hasn't yet been
registered. It's entirely possible that the ISO 639-6 project may not
result in an alpha-4 code. 

I've no problem with reserving alpha4 subtags; it's just the wording
"anticipating work that is currently under way on ISO 639" on which I
have some reservations: it causes this document to create a level of
expectation regarding ISO deliverables that are not appropriate for IETF
to be setting. I'd rather see a vaguer wording, something like,
"allowing for the possibility of an alpha4 code in some future addition
to the ISO 639 family of standards."

Peter Constable

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:27:15 -0700

That wording sounds reasonable.

‎Mark

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 14:26
Subject: RE: [Ltru] considerations for ISO 639-6 at consensus?
(was:newversion posted online)

On Behalf Of

for registration) to
primary languages

Peter Constable

---

From: "Debbie Garside" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:49:42 +0100

> to the ISO 639 family of standards."

I think this is entirely appropriate.

Debbie Garside

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Peter Constable
> Sent: 18 April 2005 22:27
> To: [email-masked]