Subject: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #874] propagation of parent organization deprecations

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:43:31 -0700

Hi -

In messages
 http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg00011.html
 http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg00025.html
it was suggested that codes deprecated by their parent organizations
should also be deprecated in the registry.

It seems that the discussion of this point evolved into discussions of
dealing with legacy data, tracking the dates of deprecations, and several
other questions.  Would someone like to take a stab at making a
concise statement of consensus on the basic question of how to deal
with deprecations, both past and future?

Randy

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:19:51 -0400

> with deprecations, both past and future?

Here's my attempt:

1) When a code is deprecated before Date A, it never gets into the
registry at all.

2) When a code is deprecated between Dates A and B, and a replacement code
is provided, the new code goes into the registry as canonical, and the old
code goes into the registry as deprecated with the canonical form given.

3) When a code is deprecated between Dates A and B, and a replacement
code is not provided, the old code goes into the registry as deprecated
with no canonical form.

4) When a code is deprecated after Date B, and a replacement code is
provided, the old code remains unchanged in the registry, and the new
code goes into the registry as deprecated with the canonical form given.

5) When a code is deprecated after Date B, and a replacement code is
not provided, the old code remains unchanged in the registry.

This does not address the question of what happens when the new code is a
recycled old code.

-- 
Mos Eisley spaceport.  You will never           John Cowan
see a more wretched hive of scum and            [email-masked]
villainy -- unless you watch the                http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Jerry Springer Show.   --georgettesworld.com    http://www.reutershealth.com

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 23:19:40 +0200

John Cowan wrote:

> 4) When a code is deprecated after Date B, and a replacement
>    code is provided, the old code remains unchanged in the
>    registry, and the new code goes into the registry as 
>    deprecated with the canonical form given.

Why not simply add the new code, and change the old code to 
"deprecated" with the new code as canonical value ? (= as in 2)

                          Bye, Frank

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 17:47:43 -0400

> "deprecated" with the new code as canonical value ? (= as in 2)

The whole point is to make sure that the subtags don't change after Date B
(when the draft is published as an RFC), so that we are no longer subject
to the vagaries of the ISO authorities.

-- 
He made the Legislature meet at one-horse       John Cowan
tank-towns out in the alfalfa belt, so that     [email-masked]
hardly nobody could get there and most of       http://www.reutershealth.com
the leaders would stay home and let him go      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
to work and do things as he pleased.    --Mencken, Declaration of Independence