Subject: [Ltru] RE:

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:33:58 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]

> I feel you do not realise how we perceive what you are doing.

I feel that your perception of (a) what is being done and (b) what *my*
contribution to what is being done as well as my objectives are
seriously mistaken.

> You harm us, Mr. Constable. We did nothing to you.

Precisely how have I (or anyone else here) harmed you? Your chief
critique appears to be:

> The "." changes nothing. It is a separator. We are no fool, and we use
it.
> The token can be any length, the subtag remains 8alphanum - however we
do
> not mind...
 
> We do not want a single
> ASCIInternational global space.

In neither of these respects have we made *any* change from RFC 3066.
Thus, we cannot have harmed you any more than you were already harmed by
RFC 3066. I can appreciate you may have desired a revolutionary change
in infrastructure, but that is not what we undertook; we undertook a
relatively minor, evolutionary revision that could add some benefits
while working within the limitations of existing implementations. If
that offends you, I can do no more than regret that you take offence at
something many consider useful.

> All the more than you make it systematic with locales de facto imposed

> to Linux, and no commitment from CLDR to never do as ISO planned to 
> do: to register it and to force people pay for it.

I'm not sure I understand. The work being done here is not tied to
locales, and I personally certainly am not doing anything to impose
Linux (or hinder it, for that matter). 

The work being done has no dependent relationship on CLDR whatsoever.
(CLDR may be applying the work done here; whether or not that is the
case is irrelevant to the work being done here.)

> We want competition. You try to
> reduce competition.

There is nothing in what we are doing that inhibits competition. 

> We want to empower cultures and therefore their languages. Not to put
> their dominant editor in a can with a gummed ASCII langtag, on the
shelves
> on the e-commerce software shop.

We are empowering cultures by extending a widely-used infrastructure to
accommodate a much wider variety of cultures and cultural distinction in
metadata elements by default.

Again, you appear to have a significantly wrong perception both of me
and of the work being done here. I can only attempt to correct this by
responding to your comments, though I may not be able to convince you.
If not, then there may not be any need to discuss these points further:
we may have reached a point at which the fitting thing is to agree to
disagree.

Regards,
Peter Constable

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru