Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: The most perverse tag

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 08:35:54 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of
> Randy Presuhn

> Please, no!  With that wording, an implementation which only
> supported 2-character tags could claim to be conformant.
> I don't think that is what we want.

I think we want that conformant implementations / protocols must support
reasonably-likely tags and should support more -- a "MUST" limit and a
"SHOULD" limit. The suggestion of 26 for 3066bis allows for

regdlang-scrp-123-variant1

which I think is reasonably likely. But we should consider what we think
should be required for 3066ter. In that case, 

lng-exa-exb-scrp-123-variant1

is, I think, reasonably likely -- that's 29. I'm not sure how Addison
got 34, but if he can explain that, then I'd accept that number. The
following might also be candidates for reasonably likely (the "MUST"
limit), but perhaps others will consider these beyond what a conformant
implementation must allow for:

lng-exa-exb-scrp-123-variant1-variant2  (38)
lng-exa-exb-scrp-123-variant1-x-private1  (40)

As for the "SHOULD" limit, +1 for the value 63.

Peter Constable

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "John.Cowan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 12:31:30 -0400

Peter Constable scripsit:

> But we should consider what we think
> got 34, but if he can explain that, then I'd accept that number. 

By adding an extra extlang.

-- 
John Cowan  [email-masked]  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
And now here I was, in a country where a right to say how the country should
be governed was restricted to six persons in each thousand of its population.
For the nine hundred and ninety-four to express dissatisfaction with the
regnant system and propose to change it, would have made the whole six
shudder as one man, it would have been so disloyal, so dishonorable, such
putrid black treason.  --Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee