Subject: RE: [Ltru] Submission: LTRU registry draft-06

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:48:16 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]

> The draft currently reads:
> 
>    "es-419" represents Spanish ('es') as used in the UN-defined Latin
> America and Caribbean region ('419')."
> 
> The wording here seems to imply that this variant of Spanish is used
> throughout the regions listed -- that's not entirely true. The
> registration was intended to identify a *neutral* version of Spanish
very
> commonly used by content localizers to serve the regions mentioned
above,
> but this does not mean es-419 is "as used" by locals in the region
itself.

The tag you have requested and the purpose you have in mind for it fits
within what the architects here have intended. The wording in the draft
just doesn't reflect this particular scenario well. That's because
boilerplate wording is being used in relation to region subtags -- "as
used in" -- with the hope that it is general enough to fit all the cases
region subtags are used. Most uses of region subtags deal with either
(i) dialect distinctions (most typically lexicon) associated with a
region, or (ii) spelling distinctions associated with a region (or
both). This is neither. It's not that "es-419" corresponds to a language
variety common to that region; it's that "es-419" characterizes the
linguistic qualities of the particular information object: that it's
considered useful throughout that region.

I'd suggest the wording for this particular example be changed to:

"es-419" represents Spanish ('es') that is usable throughout the
UN-defined Latin America and Caribbean region ('419').

I'd also change the intro paragraph to 2.2.4:

<proposed text>
Region subtags are used to indicate linguistic characteristics
associated with a country or geographic region. Typically, a region
subtag is used to indicate regional dialects or usage, or
region-specific spelling conventions. A region subtag can also be used
to indicate that content is expressed in a way that is appropriate for
use throughout a region; for instance, Spanish content tailored to be
useful throughout Latin America.

The following rules apply to region subtags:
</proposed text>

Peter Constable

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:09:24 -0700

Hi -

As a contributor...

> From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 1:48 PM
> Subject: RE: [Ltru] Submission: LTRU registry draft-06
...
> The following rules apply to region subtags:

Sounds good to me.

Randy