Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #1033] Written Spoken Signed

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:33:42 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On
> Behalf Of Doug Ewell

> In fact, I think this should be one of the first variant subtags
> requested.  It opens the door for sensible tagging of the 16 signed
> spoken languages listed on Michael Everson's page, and possibly
others.

What page? (I can't find anything on signed languages at evertype.com.)

> What I don't understand about this whole discussion is why anyone
would
> want to use a script subtag -- 'Zxxx' or anything else -- for spoken
> content in the first place.  It's not like script subtags are ever
> required.

No, they're not; but if someone wanted a way to explicitly indicate that
some content was (say) verbal -- unwritten -- English, they could use
"en-Zxxx" in contrast to "en". Just like someone *could* use "en-Latn"
to explicitly distinguish English in Latin orthography from something
else. I don't think there'd be any great need for it, but someone could
do it if it met a need.

Peter Constable

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "John.Cowan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:54:33 -0400

> What page? (I can't find anything on signed languages at evertype.com.)

http://evertype.com/standards/iso639/sgn.html , near the bottom.

-- 
In my last lifetime,                            John Cowan
I believed in reincarnation;                    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
in this lifetime,                               [email-masked]
I don't.  --Thiagi                              http://www.reutershealth.com