Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #1026] what to do about Guernsey and Jersey

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:26:42 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On
> Behalf Of Doug Ewell

> > Okay, ready to go for date-B.  And afterwards, if somebody
> > wants them ?  The tag reviewer needs a way to delay UN M.49
> > registration requests for some time (mabye ISO 3166-1 just
> > needs some time to find a new alpha-2 code), but not until
> > doomesday.
> 
> That's what I was saying; there needs to be a rule, or at least a
really
> strong guideline, as to how long the Subtag Reviewer (more properly,
the
> process) waits after the UN code is assigned.  Otherwise, one person
> will end up thinking they have to wait a year, while another will
think
> a week is good enough.  That will attract too much controversy.

Is this something that can be worked out by consensus on the
IETF-languages list? I'm disinclined to specify a timeline in *this*
document for something that's dependent on processes not under our
control and that may change. We may specify three months, but then the
3166MA may establish a process that takes only two weeks, in which case
people will be forced to wait unnecessarily; or we may specify four
weeks and then the 3166MA may later establish a process that takes six
weeks, in which case we'd be forced to do what we regret. (Just as right
now we can't register "gsw" just due to technicalities even though it's
what we'd want.)

What we *can* do without concern is specify the kind of result we
consider best. Saying that we do not automatically register M.49
non-region codes is one example of this, and saying that people are
expected to submit a request for inclusion in ISO 639 before we register
a lang subtag is another. We can say that, for M.49 non-region codes, it
is expected that a reasonable effort must be made to determine whether a
corresponding 2alpha ID will be assigned by the 3166MA before an M.49
non-region code can be registered.

Peter Constable

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:04:28 -0700

I like Peter's approach, rather than a time limit.

>We can say that, for M.49 non-region codes, it

‎Mark

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
To: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 08:26
Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #1026] what to do about Guernsey and Jersey

On

really
the
think

Peter Constable

---

From: "John.Cowan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:48:27 -0400

> I like Peter's approach, rather than a time limit.

+1

-- 
De plichten van een docent zijn divers,         John Cowan
die van het gehoor ook.                         [email-masked]
      --Edsger Dijkstra                         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan