Subject: Re: [Ltru] [psg.com #968] load on IANA server by applications

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 23:22:04 -0700

Hi -

The -03 draft says in its security considerations section:

   Although the specification of valid subtags for an extension (see:
   Section 3.6) MUST be available over the Internet, implementations
   SHOULD NOT mechanically depend on it being always accessible, to
   prevent denial-of-service attacks.

Although registry specifications don't typically talk about this
kind of thing, since we've already stepped into this tarpit we
should make our intent clear.  As a technical contributor, I propose
replacing this paragraph with:

<t>
Although the registry defined here SHALL be available over the
Internet, implementations MUST NOT depend upon it always being
accessible.  It is intended to be used as a resource for application
developers, rather than for the applications themselves.  Due
to obvious scalability concerns, automated access to the registry
by applications is NOT RECOMMENDED.
</t>

One could write this same thing about almost all of the other registries
maintained by IANA, but, since the issue was raised in the WG,
I'd like to ensure that we address it.

Randy

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "John.Cowan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 08:38:02 -0400

> by applications is NOT RECOMMENDED.

+1

> I'd like to ensure that we address it.

Ours is AFAIK unique because its format is strictly prescribed by an RFC
with the intention of making it reliably machine-readable, though.

-- 
Babies are born as a result of the              John Cowan
mating between men and women, and most          http://www.reutershealth.com
men and women enjoy mating.                     http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
    --Isaac Asimov in Earth: Our Crowded Spaceship      [email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 07:39:19 -0700

I don't really see the need for the stronger statement, but I have no
objection to it either.

‎Mark

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:12:14 -0700

Hi -

> From: "John.Cowan" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 5:38 AM
....
> with the intention of making it reliably machine-readable, though.
...

Other examples of machine-parseable stuff maintained by IANA
include numerous MIB modules (see http://www.iana.org/numbers.html#I )

Randy (one of the MIB doctors)