Subject: [Ltru] Macrogeographical code 003

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:45:38 -0700

Hello,

I am writing on behalf of the Language Tag Registry Update (LTRU)
project, which is a Working Group of the Internet Engineering Task Force
(IETF).  We are working on a major update to RFC 3066, "Tags for the
Identification of Languages," a widely used protocol on the Internet and
elsewhere.  RFC 3066 is probably best known for specifying how ISO 639
language codes and ISO 3166 country codes can be used together to
represent "language X as used in country Y."

One of our proposed enhancements to RFC 3066 is to allow the use of what
we are calling "UN M.49 numeric codes" for macrogeographical regions,
such as 015 for "Northern Africa," and also to use the regular numeric
single-country codes to resolve conflicts in case an ISO 3166 code is
reused in the future with a different meaning (as happened in 2003 with
CS).

Our question concerns the macrogeographical code 003, "North America."
This is listed on [1], but only as a footnote to explain how it differs
from 021, "Northern America," which is on the normal list with all the
other codes.  We understand the difference in scope between 003 and 021,
but we are not sure if 003 should be included in our list, since it is
only a footnote.  What is the status of this code as far as UNSD is
concerned?

You can find out more about the LTRU project at [2] and read the
archives of our mailing list at [3].

Thank you very much for your prompt assistance.

[1] http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49regin.htm
[2] http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
[3] http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/index.html

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru