Subject: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #892] instructions for IANA if registry becomes "too large"

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:24:34 -0700

Randy Presuhn <randy underscore presuhn at mindspring dot com> wrote:

> Are we in agreement that the size of the registry will not be
> a problem for the foreseeable future?  If so, then we can
> mark this item "rejected".  If not, then we need a specific
> proposal for instructions to IANA on how to handle things.

It will not be a problem at all unless someone can explain the exact
nature of the problem, in some detail.  The fact that a user with a
2400-baud modem would need half an hour to download a 600K file does not
mean the file has to be reformulated in some way.  Files larger than
that are commonplace.

We went to considerable lengths to recast the registry into a form that
was both machine- and human-readable and fairly space-efficient.  When
the time comes to add 7,000 extended-language subtags, we'll simply have
to face the fact that that's a lot of data, and deal with it.

I recommend rejecting this item.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:16:45 -0700

Hi -

Based on the discussion, I've marked this item "rejected".
If additional discussion is necessary, please include the issue
number in the subject line.

Randy, ltru co-chair