Subject: [Ltru] URI for BCP 47

From: "Felix Sasaki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:51:08 +0900

Hi,

I am looking for a stable URI to cite BCP 47. Any proposals?

Thanks,
Felix

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 01:31:51 -0500

> I am looking for a stable URI to cite BCP 47. Any proposals?

RFC 2648 says it's urn:ietf:bcp:47

-- 
John Cowan    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan   <[email-masked]>
    "Any legal document draws most of its meaning from context.  A telegram
    that says 'SELL HUNDRED THOUSAND SHARES IBM SHORT' (only 190 bits in
    5-bit Baudot code plus appropriate headers) is as good a legal document
    as any, even sans digital signature." --me

---

From: "Felix Sasaki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:56:20 +0900

> RFC 2648 says it's urn:ietf:bcp:47

Thanks a lot. I know that URNs are used for persistent labeling. But a  
persistent URI would be nicer, see http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI  
(look for "I didn't think URLs have to be persistent - that was URNs.").

Regards, Felix.

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 02:16:30 -0500

> (look for "I didn't think URLs have to be persistent - that was URNs.").

In that case, ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/bcp/bcp47.txt has been persistent
since at least RFC 1766.  http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/bcp/bcp47.txt
is not as old, but may have more authority.

-- 
John Cowan  [email-masked]  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
   There was an old man                Said with a laugh, "I
     From Peru, whose lim'ricks all      Cut them in half, the pay is
       Look'd like haiku.  He              Much better for two."
                                             --Emmet O'Brien

---

From: "Felix Sasaki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:20:47 +0900

> is not as old, but may have more authority.

Thanks, that helps!

Regards, Felix.

---

From: r&d afrac <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:35:18 +0100

>>is not as old, but may have more authority.

Felix,
I would strongly advise http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/bcp/bcp47.txt. 
This is the original document. And therefore the authoritative source 
whatever happens in the future.
jfc

PS. You will note that the document is currently under IESG appeal. 
This discussion of this appeal may have risen additional concerns and 
operational solutions. The IESG may either chose to consider them or 
prefer an architectural guidance through an appeal to the IAB. This 
currently concerns the architext, the language coding and the security issues.

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:16:41 +0100

> I am looking for a stable URI to cite BCP 47. Any proposals?

Try <http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47> for a HTML version, bye