Subject: [Ltru] WG Review: Recharter of Language Tag Registry Update (ltru)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:23:54 -0400

A modified charter has been submitted for the Language Tag Registry
Update (ltru) working group in the Applications Area of the IETF.  
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The modified charter is
provided below for informational purposes only. Please send your comments
to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by August 29th.

+++

Language Tag Registry Update (ltru)
===================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]> 
Martin Duerst <[email-masked]> 

Applications Area Director(s):
Ted Hardie <[email-masked]> 
Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]> 

Applications Area Advisor:
Ted Hardie <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The primary language subtags allowed by the current IANA Language
Subtag Registry are limited to ISO 639-1 and ISO 639-2 in the same
way as they were limited by RFC 3066. This covers approximately 500
possible language subtags. ISO 639-3, scheduled for approval towards
the end of 2006, will make available around 7000 more code elements
for identifying languages.

The working group will prepare an update to the Language Subtag
Registry procedures to allow the use of 3-letter code elements
from ISO 639-3 as primary language subtags or extended language
subtags as appropriate. The working group will also deliver means
to update the current IANA Language Subtag Registry with the newly
available subtags.

The working group will examine, and if necessary clarify or adjust,
procedures and guidelines with respect to extended language subtags
and variant subtags. Use cases include the identification of
signed languages, transliterations, and transcriptions.
The working group will also consider how the draft work on
ISO 639-6 may relate to the future development of language tags.

The working group will clarify text where necessary. It may also
make adjustments to the registration process and the form of the
registry if this is deemed appropriate based on ongoing registration
and operational experience. These adjustments and clarifications
are not expected to delay the progress of the work.

Work on the drafts is planned to start before ISO 639-3 is fully
approved and published. However, the WG will not finalize the
drafts before ISO 639-3 is fully approved.

Goals and Milestones:

September 2006 Submit first WG draft of registry procedure update
September 2006 Submit first WG draft of registry data update
January 2007 Submit registry procedure update draft for IETF Last Call
January 2007 Submit registry data update draft for IETF Last Call

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:05:07 +0900

Dear LTRU WG members,

As you can see below, the new charter that we have been working
on now has been sent to the IETF mailing list for a two-week
review.

Reagards,      Martin.

>To: [email-masked]
>Cc: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>,Martin Duerst 
><[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
>Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Language Tag Registry Update (ltru) 
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:23:54 -0400
>

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, Assoc. Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:[email-masked]