Subject: [Ltru] Re: Last Call: draft-mcwalter-langtag-mib (Language Tag MIB) to Proposed Standard

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:51:07 -0800

The IESG <iesg dash secretary at ietf dot org> wrote:

> The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to 
> consider the following document:
>
> - 'Language Tag MIB '
>   <draft-mcwalter-langtag-mib-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document defines a profile of RFC 4646 language tags for use in a 
particular application, by restricting the tags to lowercase and no more 
than 60 characters in length.

There is a recommended casing convention described in RFC 4646, section 
2.1 (e.g. "hmn-Latn-LA"), but tags are not intended to be 
case-sensitive, and applications such as this one may choose a different 
convention if it suits them.

Section 4.3 of RFC 4646 discusses tag length limitations and suggests a 
minimum length limit of 42 characters.  The proposed limit of 60 
characters in the I-D is greater than that minimum, and much greater 
than the likely maximum length of any non-private-use tag, and should 
pose no problem.

Since tags of 1 character are never well-formed, I suggest that the 
definition:

   SYNTAX      OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..60))

be amended to exclude the 1-character case.  I assume that a zero-length 
tag, while also not defined in RFC 4646, was included in the I-D to 
allow the special case of "no tag."

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:15:35 -0500

> allow the special case of "no tag."

AFAIK, ASN.1 does not allow sizes like (0, 2..60).  I wouldn't even
bother with this change.

-- 
John Cowan    [email-masked]    http://ccil.org/~cowan
Rather than making ill-conceived suggestions for improvement based on
uninformed guesses about established conventions in a field of study with
which familiarity is limited, it is sometimes better to stick to merely
observing the usage and listening to the explanations offered, inserting
only questions as needed to fill in gaps in understanding. --Peter Constable

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:35:09 +0200

> -----Original Message-----
> From: John Cowan [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> > 
> > be amended to exclude the 1-character case.  I assume that a 
> > zero-length tag, while also not defined in RFC 4646, was 
> included in 
> > the I-D to allow the special case of "no tag."
> 
> AFAIK, ASN.1 does not allow sizes like (0, 2..60).  I 
> wouldn't even bother with this change.
> 

Actually (SIZE (0 | 2..60)) is allowed and would match this case. 

Dan