Subject: [Ltru] Re: Erratum ? (upper-case X in numeric character references)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:13:22 -0800

Addison Phillips <addison at yahoo dash inc dot com> wrote:

> Could we please just bag entities and use UTF-8 in the registry? The 
> entities are ugly, unreadable, and unnecessary in this modern era of 
> Unicode.

+1.  But didn't we already have this discussion at least two or three 
times before, and it was a showstopper for someone?

For example, I thought it turned out we couldn't use UTF-8 if we were 
going to submit the initial Registry to IANA via an RFC, because RFCs 
have to be pure ASCII.

But yeah, +1.

> Some folks on the ietf-languages list have even had trouble submitting 
> them (using a Web mail system appears to cause interference between 
> the entities and the mail system's Web pages).

That cuts both ways, because not all Web mail systems can handle UTF-8 
either.  I've had to stop sending UTF-8 em dashes (—) to certain mailing 
lists because they get corrupted.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:18:45 -0800

Martin Hosken <martin underscore hosken at sil dot org> wrote:

> Even if you went for a domain based approach where do you draw the 
> line:
>
> de-1901-fonipa

That particular example doesn't work, because "1901" describes a 
Latin-alphabet orthographic convention which goes straight out the 
window if the text is converted IPA.

> I realise I may have slipped in 2 questions here that I was after 
> asking. In addition to knowing which order variants can occur, I'm 
> also not sure whether Latn is required since en has a Latn suppress 
> script on it. Does adding fonipa require that the Latn reappear or can 
> it remain suppressed?

It is not required to specify "Latn" when using the "fonipa" or "fonupa" 
variants.  Indeed, depending on whom you ask, these variants either 
imply that the text is written in the Latin script, or imply that it is 
not.

---

From: "Jukka K. Korpela" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:23:51 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Doug Ewell wrote:

> either.  I've had to stop sending UTF-8 em dashes () to certain mailing lists 
> because they get corrupted.

My experience with webmail systems suggests that _mostly_ they cannot 
handle anything but the character encoding wired into the software, which 
is probably not UTF-8. Since webmail is important to many people in many 
occasions, including travels, international email is not UTF-8 safe, sadly 
enough. Anything but US-ASCII is more or less risky.

-- 
Jukka "Yucca" Korpela, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

---

From: Gerard Meijssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:46:05 +0100

Gerard Meijssen schreef:
> Jukka K. Korpela schreef:
>>> That cuts both ways, because not all Web mail systems can handle 
>>> UTF-8 either.  I've had to stop sending UTF-8 em dashes () to 
>>> certain mailing lists because they get corrupted.
>>
>> handle anything but the character encoding wired into the software, 
>> which is probably not UTF-8. Since webmail is important to many 
>> people in many occasions, including travels, international email is 
>> not UTF-8 safe, sadly enough. Anything but US-ASCII is more or less 
>> risky.
>>
> Hoi,
> The conclusion is that when you have a webmail service provider that 
> stinks, you have to get another webmail server provider. I user GMAIL 
> and I am able to have it send e-mails for my other accounts as well. 
> It really saves me a lot of hassles. The spam filter is really good. 
> Few false positives.
> Thanks,
>    Gerard
>