Subject: Re: [Ltru] UTF-8

From: "Reshat Sabiq (Reşat)"<[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 19:10:45 -0500

Reshat Sabiq (Reşat) yazmış:
> As far as passivity, if this takes effect w/ the next release of the
> registry spec, and people know about it in advance, then it's natural
> for it to not be passive. For temporary passivity, the old registry
> could continue to exist w/o updates at the existing URL, and the new
> registry to be updated could be exposed thru a new URL.
> That happened in java betweem 1.3 and 1.4, and 1.4 and 5: it's
> inevitable at early stages, and maybe even beyond. Deep down, do we not
> all know that it will be UTF-8 and XML at some point? I think we do, so
> passivity question will come up anyway, it's just a matter of managing
> it well.
I can't afford to stay abreast of the discussion, but i'd like to
elaborate on my idea for passivity, w/ a SOAP standards example: The
namespaces for the SOAP schemas change from version to version. For
instance:
1.2:	http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope
1.1:	http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/

If you wanted to have
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry
passive, then UTF-based registry would just need to use a different
namespace (when using XML), and/or URL, such as:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/4646bis/language-subtag-registry

If you want to give people 3 years to get ready for it, then this could
be planned as such for year 2010, and then it'd be some xxxx standard
above instead of 4646bis.

Or if, you'd like to have only 1 namespace for UTF-8-based registry,
then it could be something like (and then it wouldn't change from
4646bis to xxxx to yyyy, etc.):
http://www.iana.org/assignments/utf-8/language-subtag-registry

My 2 cents,
Reşat.

P.S. Let's also schedule (log a bug, if possible)
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/
app to handle UTF-8. ;)

- --
My public GPG key (ID 0x262839AF) is at: http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru