Subject: [Ltru] Re: XML format registry?

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:39:55 -0700

Martin Duerst <duerst at it dot aoyama dot ac dot jp> wrote:

> As a technical contributor, my personal preferences are rather 
> opposite: I prefer going to UTF-8, without going to XML.

+1

> Switching to XML, on the other hand, would require more major changes 
> in implementations. It would also require some extended discussions 
> over details of the XML structure, which might easily delay our work 
> further.

My reason exactly.  Note that if we were building a completely new 
format today, as we did for 4646, I would probably favor XML.  But we're 
not; we have the existing format and we have to decide whether to stay 
compatible with it or change to a different format, and I don't support 
that kind of rapid-fire instability.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:51:53 -0700

+1

-- 
Mark

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 22:02:57 -0700

Hi -

As a technical contributor...

> From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
> To: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:39 PM
> Subject: [Ltru] Re: XML format registry?
...
> that kind of rapid-fire instability.
...

I look at it a little differently.  IANA is already moving to XML for
its registries.  Its a question of whether we want to have some say
in what the XML representation looks like, or whether we're confident that
what IANA decides on will be as good as anything we might come up with,
and that the developer community that uses the registry is better served
by keeping the modified record-jar format as well.

Randy

---

From: Peter Constable <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:01:26 -0700

+1

From: Mark Davis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2007 9:52 PM
To: Doug Ewell
Cc: LTRU Working Group
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: XML format registry?

+1
On 7/21/07, Doug Ewell <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

+1

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru