Subject: [Ltru] Re: Macrolanguage and extlang

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:05:31 -0700

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at comhem dot se> wrote:

>>> For example, the language subtags 'nb' (Norwegian Bokmal) and 'nn'
>
> With this particular example it should be noted that both the spoken 
> and the written languages are different. (So 'no' would be better as a 
> (rather small) collection than a macrolanguage... Note that for 
> Frisian, as similar "fix" was made, but the old code was reassigned to 
> one of the languages.)

It's not our job or that of ietf-languages to change the language 
classifications that ISO 639 has made.  If ISO 639 says "no" is a 
macrolanguage and not a collection code, we should reflect that in BCP 
47.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru