Subject: [Ltru] Registry change of the day: prefix with more than one subtag

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 10:49:56 +0200

>  %%
> +Type: variant
> +Subtag: biske
> +Description: The San Giorgio dialect of Resian
> +Description: The Bila dialect of Resian
> +Added: 2007-07-05
> +Prefix: sl-rozaj
> +Comments: The dialect of San Giorgio/Bila is one of the four major local
> +  dialects of Resian
> +%%

First subtag(s) in the registry with a prefix which is more than one
subtag. (And, yes, it triggered a bug in my programs.)

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 11:00:06 +0200

Yesterday, several subtags were added to the Language Subtag Registry
(Kore, biske, njiva, etc).

The registration templates do not appear in
http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/index.html

Is it just a matter of time or is there, in your opinion, something
wrong in the process?

(I attach an email pertaining to the previous discussion about this
subject.)

Subject: Re: Re: Archival of registration forms
From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Cc: LTRU Working Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 00:22:33 -0700

Hi,

Sorry for the slow response on this.  I'll be honest and say that I'm  
still not entirely clear what IANA should be doing in this case, so  
please do not take anything I say as definitive or concrete as to how  
IANA will meet this community's requirements.  We are definitely open  
to suggestions here...

On Apr 24, 2007, at 12:55 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>> A longstanding problem which needs to be fixed.  RFC 4646 section
>> 3.5 requires the approved registration forms (as submitted to IANA
>> by the language subtag reviewer, in my reading) to be available.
>
> Yes. Whatever the reason of the lack of availability (remember that
> David Conrad, IANA director, wrote he is searching why) IMHO, it
> should be fixed.

So, we've started making the forms people submit (after approval by  
the IESG designated expert) available at:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/index.html

Is this what is desired?

> But for LTRU, it may also be time to consider a change to make this
> obligation clearer in 4646bis?

Clear obligations would be deeply appreciated.

>> Are the updated registration form not currently making it to IANA,
> That would be strange since they receive the registration requests and
> they act on it.

Actually, not as I understand it.  IANA only receives the approved  
forms sent to us by the IESG designated expert.

Rgds,
-drc

---

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:17:51 -0700

> subtag. (And, yes, it triggered a bug in my programs.)

You've got to think ahead with those unit tests :-). I must admit that 
we've improved the text in draft-4646bis. In 4646 there is an example 
(and a paragraph of text) identifying this case, but it is the section 
on variant rather than in section 3.

Addison

-- 
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

Internationalization is an architecture.
It is not a feature.