Subject: [Ltru] updates and preparation to publish draft-07

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:33:33 -0700

Today is the last day of IETF #69, which means the integer burning 
foundry will soon being to function again. I'm preparing draft-07 of 
4646bis as a result.

Today I added, with modifications with respect to extlang and a few 
editorial edits, the text Mark and I proposed for a "Macrolanguage" 
field in the registry. This was done in an "extlang-neutral" manner. 
With the exception of one example that has a tag "yue-Hans-CN", the text 
doesn't take sides in the discussion. If the consensus goes against 
including the additional informational field, we can remove the changes.

The draft is posted on inter-locale, with links to diffs. See:

   http://www.inter-locale.com/ID/

Addison

-- 
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

Internationalization is an architecture.
It is not a feature.

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 15:45:54 -0700

Addison Phillips <addison at yahoo dash inc dot com> wrote:

> With the exception of one example that has a tag "yue-Hans-CN", the 
> text doesn't take sides in the discussion. If the consensus goes 
> against including the additional informational field, we can remove 
> the changes.

I've read this over and over, trying to see the benefit of having both 
extlangs *and* a Macrolanguage field, and it just isn't happening for 
me.  I think the fact that they don't quite match (e.g. 'nb' has a 
Macrolanguage but isn't an extlang) will only increase confusion. 
Either we should have extlangs or we should have the Macrolanguage 
field, not both.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages