Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: Solving the UTF-8 problem

From: "CE Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:24:11 -0400

Hi, I am also for utf-8 so long as we link to the appropriate fonts/viewers 
(for libraries).

Plus of course I assume we are keeping an unofficial text version at 
langtag.net

--C. E. Whitehead
[email-masked]

(I'll be off-line for a few days at least--starting tomorrow or next day.  
As I will be on the road.)

_________________________________________________________________
Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play Chicktionary!  
http://club.live.com/chicktionary.aspx?icid=chick_hotmailtextlink2

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:19:36 +0200

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 10:24:11AM -0400,
 CE Whitehead <[email-masked]> wrote 

> Plus of course I assume we are keeping an unofficial text version at

You mean an unofficial ASCII version? (UTF-8 is plain text, too,
remember this is a discussion about UTF-8, not about XML or JSON)

---

From: "CE Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:52:08 -0400

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr

>remember this is a discussion about UTF-8, not about XML or JSON)

ACII or ANSI?  (ASCII is just basic Latin, right, so the accented characters 
will not display; for Latin-1 you need ANSI)

--C. E. Whitehead
[email-masked]

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:23:15 -0700

Hi -

> From: "CE Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:52 AM
> Subject: [Ltru] Re: Solving the UTF-8 problem
...
> will not display; for Latin-1 you need ANSI)
...

As a technical contributor:

The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) is not a character set.

The IETF's BCP0018 has been in place for a *long* time, and it makes
sense to employ its recommendation: use UTF-8.

I've spent a fair amount of time using the computing facilities
available to the general public in a small sampling of third-world
countries.  I've had no problem displaying UTF-8.  Tools and
appropriate fonts (on ancient and under-powered recycled machines)
have not been a problem.

Perhaps others' experience is different, but I have little sympathy
for claims that appropriate tools are unavailable to the developers
who would be using this data.  If your public library's computing
facilities are not on a par with a typical third-world internet cafe,
then you have a problem more critical to your community than the
encoding of an IANA registry.  (Think globally, act locally?)

If someone wants to provide "added value" (or would it be "reduced value"?)
versions of the registry contents, that's *their* perogative, but I think
we should not be spending our time and energy defining what those (by
definition out of our scope) projects might do.

Randy