Subject: [Ltru] Re: Registry change of the day: prefix with more than one subtag

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:47:27 -0700

Randy Presuhn <randy underscore presuhn at mindspring dot com> wrote:

>> I believe that we should handle this case under the general rule 
>> "standards cannot prevent every stupid thing":
>> ...
>> There does not seem to be similar text in 4646bis. Do we think it 
>> should be included or is it too paternalistic for readers?
>
> Since the question seems to keep coming up, it's probably worth 
> including. For a heading for the section, I like your words: 
> "standards cannot prevent every stupid thing."

My question was what a piece of software should do.  Software is 
notoriously bad at applying wisdom to situations like this.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 17:17:19 -0700

Hi -

As a technical contributor.

> From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
> To: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2007 2:47 PM
> Subject: [Ltru] Re: Registry change of the day: prefix with more than onesubtag
...
...

Two cases:
   when receiving a "stupid" tag, I don't think there's any requirement for
   software to recognize it as stupid, nor to process it in any special way

   when we consider the case of software putting a tag on something, I very
   much doubt that the software is creating these things "generatively".
   Rather, there is some set of language / region / orthography etc. combinations
   the software knows about, and for each of these it knows what the tag is.
   The question of whether a tag would be stupid doesn't arise; it had to be
   addressed when the set of languages supported was specified.

Randy