Subject: [Ltru] Re: Updated draft-4646bis...

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:40:03 -0700

I strongly suggest that we make sure as many people as possible are 
satisfied with the wording related to "mis", so there will be no further 
calls to bog down the Registry with "DO NOT USE" comments.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:01:43 -0700

> calls to bog down the Registry with "DO NOT USE" comments.

Frankly, 'mis' will receive more attention thanks to this paragraph of 
anti-mis vitriol than it has in its whole history (which probably 
stretches back before that of BCP 47). I have no problem recommending 
against it, but find the reasoning behind it a bit strained. Really the 
recommendation probably should be: "don't use 'mis' because really 
nearly every language is 'coded' and ISO 639 RA stands ready to fix any 
omissions"

Meanwhile people with restricted language tag sets are only semi-hosed. 
The mustard says "SHOULD NOT" and those folks can read that as "MAY" 
(provided they are armed with a good reason).

Can we let the sleeping subtag lie? :-).

Addison

-- 
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

Internationalization is an architecture.
It is not a feature.