Subject: [Ltru] Announcement text

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:53:51 -0700

Addision and I have talked this one over, and the suggestion is to add the
following:

In 5.1. Language Subtag Registry at the end of the paragraph starting "IANA
MUST update the File-Date record...", add:

Developers who are dependent upon the language subtag registry need to be
informed of changes in the registry so that they can update their
implementations if necessary. When any change is made to the language subtag
registry, IANA MUST send an announcement message to
ietf-languages-announcements@ iana.org (a self-subscribing list that only
IANA can post to).

-- 
Mark
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 23:23:19 +0200

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 01:53:51PM -0700,
 Mark Davis <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 55 lines which said:

> When any change is made to the language subtag registry, IANA MUST
> send an announcement message to ietf-languages-announcements@
> iana.org

I am very reluctant here. Why mandating a given technique, email,
while Atom might be preferred by some?

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:46:11 -0700

Everybody has and can use email, so I don't think using a different
mechanism that not everyone is set up to use would be the best choice.

Mark

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 18:00:29 -0700

Hi -

As a technical contributor...
 
> From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Stephane Bortzmeyer" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 2:46 PM
> Subject: [Ltru] Re: Announcement text
>
...

Is there *any* other IANA-maintained registry that provides such a
notification service?

Randy

---

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 18:14:42 -0700

Hi,

Currently, when we modify the IPv4, IPv6, and ASN registries, we send  
out a notice to the RIRs and a few network operations mailing lists.  
Those are the only ones I'm aware of offhand.

Rgds,
-drc

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:01:59 +0900

In my (technical) opinion, I think we can do without this if we can
be sure that IANA correctly handles If-Modified-Since of HTTP.
Any third party can set up an email service or an Atom feed or
whatever, and people who need it and trust it can subscribe to it.

Regards,    Martin.

>Those are the only ones I'm aware of offhand.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, Assoc. Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:23:22 +0200

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 03:01:59PM +0900,
 Martin Duerst <[email-masked]> wrote 

> be sure that IANA correctly handles If-Modified-Since of HTTP.

It does. The script behind http://www.langtag.net/registries.html
relies on it and it works. (The script source code, using curl, can be
retrieved with Subversion at URL https://svn.langtag.net/langtag/.)

> Any third party can set up an email service or an Atom feed 

http://www.langtag.net/registries/lsr.atom

Also, if there is a syndication feed, you can have email. Several
programs do so, I use rss2email (unlike what its name suggests, it
works fine with Atom):

http://rss2email.infogami.com/

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:26:27 +0200

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 02:46:11PM -0700,
 Mark Davis <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 41 lines which said:

> Everybody has and can use email, 

It was true when I started using the Internet but, today, I know some
users that use RSS heavily and never email. (There is also IM, which
complicates the matter. Hey, I want the IANA to set up an IRC bot
which will write to #ltru!)

My point is not to say that IANA must use Atom and not email, it is
that no technique will suit everyone so it is probably better not to
mention one in the RFC.

Apart from that, as an IANA user, I would certainly *love* to have
registry notifications, wether in email or in Atom, and not only for
the LSR. But it is a more general IANA issue.

---

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 07:14:45 -0700

I note that the IETF tends to work via email, however. There are 
certainly other ietf announce lists (related to the operation of the 
ietf) and our communication with IANA seems to be based on email.

We simply making the text say that ietf-languages-announce is the 
minimum requirement. Certainly one could make an RSS feed for the list too.

Addison

-- 
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

Internationalization is an architecture.
It is not a feature.