Subject: Re: [Ltru] [[email-masked]: updated draft forOpenIDlanguage tags for attribute values]

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:38:00 -0700

Martin Duerst <duerst at it dot aoyama dot ac dot jp> wrote:

>> Chapter 16.9 of The Unicode Unicode Standard 5.0 says:
>> "The use of these characters is strongly discouraged."
>> Though one might argue that this protocol is a candidate
>> for using them, I don't see any particular value to using them
>> instead of a more structured protocol incorporating the ability
>> to include "real" language tags.
>
> I fully and completely agree. These "tag" characters have been encoded 
> to get some people away from even worse ideas, but using them is still 
> a really bad idea.

I've already lost enough street credibility trying to defend Plane 14 
tags, so I won't go there again.  I do note that if this draft 
represents the practice of a group that is already using Plane 14 tags, 
they might not appreciate the language-tagging group telling them they 
need to change their protocol.

Also, these are just Unicode characters; it is no more a "binary 
encoding" than ordinary ASCII characters would be.

My only other comment, again outside the scope of the language-tagging 
group, is that it's annoying to see pseudocode or "sample 
implementations" that show how to encode something in UTF-16 or UTF-8 in 
every document that uses UTF-16 or UTF-8.  This is not only unnecessary 
in 2007, but error-prone.  Just reference Unicode, or ISO 10646, or RFC 
2781 and/or 3629, and be done with it.

--
Doug Ewell * Fullerton, California, USA * RFC 4645 * UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:02:16 -0700

Hi -

> From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
> To: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 9:38 AM
> Subject: Re: [Ltru] [[email-masked]: updated draftforOpenIDlanguage tags for attribute values]
...
> >> Chapter 16.9 of The Unicode Unicode Standard 5.0 says:
...
> I do note that if this draft 

We in ltru don't have any say about the use of Plane 14 tags.
Those are specified by the Unicode, and are merely based on
the syntax defined by this WG.  However, when the people who
*are* responsible for Plane 14, namely the Unicode Consortium,
say "don't do this", it might be a good idea to listen to them.
For a definitive answer he should talk to the Unicode people
directly.

Randy