Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: extlang

From: Marion Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 12:11:20 +0000

On 31 Aug 2007, at 17:26, scríobh Doug Ewell:

> ...
> "Micro-" is an obvious opposite of "macro-".  This sort of word- 
> forming process is common among technical-minded people, including  
> much of the LTRU membership (I make up words every day)...

I hope you have now seen it demonstrated (in recent mails) that said  
tendency to "make up words ever day" only worsens a problem for which  
the obvious cure is a neat Terms and Definitions section.

On 31 Aug 2007, at 18:26, scríobh Doug Ewell:

> ...
> For my part, I understand that "extlang" is not the official name  
> for this type of subtag, and didn't mean to propose defining it  
> formally if you were talking to me.  We use it all the time because  
> it's easier to type 7 letters than 24.

Yet more reason to either define such informal terms as you make up.  
After that, you may even propose making them formal, if you so wish.

> ...
> One thing the document does not need is to be longer.  If we do add  
> such a section, we should attempt to strip out the now-redundant  
> inline definitions that exist throughout the document...

Exactly.
mg

ps.
To follow my own advice, I would define an "innocent professional" as  
someone who is professionally proficient one discipline/field of  
discourse, but is coming as a relative newcomer to another in which  
they can so easily be misled. It makes no assumptions as to their  
innocence or otherwise in daily professional/personal life.:-)
mg

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru