Subject: [Ltru] Re: Wrapping up the UTF-8 debate

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 14:24:16 +0200

Randy Presuhn wrote:

>   2)  The registry file itself currently uses something which is similar
>       to an NCR.  Are we willing to change the registry format to
>          a) use actual NCRs for non-ASCII code points, making conversion
>             to XML even more trivial than it already is, while still
>             giving some fallback to folks inspecting the data for errors
>             or looking at it through ASCII windows
[...]

Hi, the NCRs in the registry are "real" NCRs, using the hex. format
recommended by the W3C "charmod".

Frank

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:28:54 +0200

Frank Ellermann wrote:

> the NCRs in the registry are "real" NCRs, using the hex. format

I've now updated 4645bis.awk to convert NCRs to UTF-8, see
http://xyzzy.webhop.info/home/ltru/4645bis.awk

The script can extract an UTF-8 language subtag registry from
Doug's drafts, and it can also convert 4646 registries to UTF-8.

As John said: _doom_

When I try to open a plain text UTF-8 file with Firefox 2 under
Win XP I've to set the encoding manually (unless I add a BOM).

When I convert an UTF-8 registry to XML and use the "file
upload" interface of the W3C validator I run into several fatal
errors at the W3C validator.

Unless I use the "hard" character encoding override option at
the validator.  Arguably it's the fault of Firefox 2 under Win XP
to use Content-Tye: text/xml without charset in its file upload
header for 4645bisU.xml.  But in practice it's as it is, both FF2
and the W3C validator ignore encoding="UTF-8" in the 1st line
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>

If you want to check your tools with an UTF-8 registry take
http://xyzzy.webhop.info/home/ltru/4645bisU.xml

I'm not yet sure that I got the NCR to UTF-8 conversions right.

Frank