Subject: [Ltru] What is EU for in locales?

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 01:44:03 -0500

Before the extraordinarily reserved 3166 code elements get baked
into BCP 47 forever, I'd like to know what EU is supposed to be for.
I'm not necessarily rejecting the notion that EU (or currently QU) is
sensible in locale tags, which though not formally language tags are
closely related.  But just what does EU/QU mean in locale tags?

-- 
Even the best of friends cannot                 John Cowan
attend each others' funeral.                    [email-masked]
        --Kehlog Albran, The Profit             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 08:02:29 -0800

> closely related.  But just what does EU/QU mean in locale tags?

I believe the answer there is: it's a code for a region, whose display 
name and other info you can retrieve. There is no "xx-EU" locale in CLDR 
(or anywhere else that I'm aware of). There may be some variations in 
options that are based on regulatory or other requirements at the EU 
level (I'm not aware of any of those either).

I think the main thing is not that EU is used in locale identifiers. It 
is that BCP 47 provides a stabilized collection of regions, which is 
useful in maintaining locale data.

Addison

-- 
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

Internationalization is an architecture.
It is not a feature.

---

From: "Kent Karlsson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:15:38 +0100

> useful in maintaining locale data.

While that (particular quoted substatement) is true, I would also say that:

sv_EU (rather than sv_150) could designate a locale using Swedish, but has
EOR ordering, and perhaps some "EU" common date a time formats. Similarly
for da_EU, etc. (At least, I would suggest that as a possible goal. I'm NOT
saying that it currently IS the goal for anyone.)

I don't think such locales will be overly popular, but they may have
some uses. I think that it was one of the reasons for developing the
EOR (European Ordering Rules), though they are not entirely EU specific.

	/kent k

http://anubis.dkuug.dk/CEN/TC304/EOR/eorhome.html