Subject: [Ltru] Re: draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-09.txt

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 15:26:04 +0100

Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:

 [2. about the 2006 ed. of ISO 3166 and 50 years]
> Yes.

Thanks for info, maybe the Netnews RFC can be updated in
AUTH48 (it's actually almost irrelevant for Netnews, not
the same situation as for 4646bis).

> All change of the world in Europe in 1990's until the most recent
> split into Serbia and Montenegro are related to the second world
> war.  To some extent the second war is being finished now.

Kosovo will be the next.   
 
> I am optimistic, at least as far as Europe is concerned, to not
> see much changes in country codes.

I'm optimistic to see changes for regions where the population
apparently wishes to gain independence of their "encompassing"
country.  For regions like Iraq or Somalia registering existing
entities like Somaliland might be the best possible solution.

> Concerning languages, I noted the inflation related to the
> former Yugoslavia split - the Serbo-Croatian, or Yugoslavian,
> was replicated with N different names. That is of course 
> politically sad, as all people from the former Yugoslavia
> speaks Yugoslavian, Southern Slavic language (yug=south).

Right, but ISO 639 has alpha3 code elements, they're likely
never forced to "recycle" code elements.  For country codes
there's apparently also a tradition of creating "meaningful"
code elements, so far that worked.  YT is a counter-example,
but still somehow related to maYoTte.
 
> Eventually, I would be happy to answer any questions related
> to ISO 3166/MA or ISO 3166-1 tables, or to provide in advance
> information when changes may arise. Please feel free to ask
> me directly (I will unsubscribe from ltru list shortly, going
> back to browsing archives from time to time).

Thanks, with Debbie's help we managed to avoid the ugliest traps
and pitfalls for RFC 4646.  For the DG+EA+IC+... zoo I hope that
it won't pass an IAB review.  The IETF isn't supposed to overrule
RFC 1591 without first publishing a 1591bis (IMO, of couse, and
obviously IANA already managed this stunt with its odd ccTLD EU).

 Frank

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru