Subject: [Ltru] Re: Principles of Operation

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:04:11 -0800

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

>> A Preferred-Value is a whole tag, not a subtag, so no, it is not 
>> possible for a variant subtag alone to serve as a P-V.
>
> Check the registry, there are quite a lot of Preferred-Values which 
> are only subtags, starting with BU -> MM and DD -> DE.

You are correct.  I got confused switching back and forth between Prefix 
and Preferred-Value.  My apologies.

> At the moment we could not deprecate language "err" in favour of a 
> variant subtag "foobar" or a tag "fr-foobar".  And that can happen for 
> ``language´´ Europanto "eur" found by Michael: 
> http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=eur

While I'm not sure how this relates to Europanto, can you propose some 
text that would address your concerns about deprecating a language in 
favor of a language-variant combination?

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:28:11 +0100

Doug Ewell wrote:

> can you propose some text that would address your concerns about
> deprecating a language in favor of a language-variant combination?

I fear it would need too many preconditions:  limiting variants
strictly to languages (or other variants), i.e. no variants for
regions or scripts.  After that we'd need to make sure that a
variant subtag can never be the same string as a registered
language (unless they refer to the same entity, one deprecated
in favour of the other).  Finally we could allow pointers to
a variant (in the form of a Preferred-Value) from deprecated
languages.

It's more straight forward if we give the 639-3 folks some years
to get a grip on "eur", "ork", and "sxu", and revisit 4646 later.

 Frank