Subject: [Ltru] Re: Progressing beyond borders-making subtags inclusive

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:16:36 -0800

Nicholas Shanks <contact at nickshanks dot com> wrote:

> Foe example en-scouse and en-GB-scouse both represent the same thing. 
> (yes, I know the second isn't technically registered, but people will 
> still use those kinds of constructs because they don't know any 
> better). Same with en-GB-oed.

Actually, 'scouse' is now a registered variant subtag (since September 
2006), not just a piece of the grandfathered tag "en-scouse".  This 
means "en-GB-scouse" is just as valid as "en-scouse", and probably 
better for fans of remove-from-right fallback.

'oed', on the other hand, can never be a variant on its own because of 
its length.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru