Subject: [Ltru] Excluding language subtag 'eur' (was: Re: Principles of Operation)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:15:27 -0800

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at comhem dot se> wrote:

>> As I said: the language is a joke, the code element is not.
>
> It still makes the registration of a code element for this joke in the 
> 639-3 registry a mistake. I hope that code element will be removed 
> from there before we incorporate 639-3 code elements into the IETF 
> language subtag registry.

Speaking as editor of RFC 4645bis, I would need some specific wording in 
RFC 4646bis to authorize this.  I cannot in good faith exclude any 
subtag from the 4645bis Registry without an objective justification, on 
the basis that members of ietf-languages feel the subtag is silly or a 
joke or a mistake.  To do so would be a process failure in the truest 
sense of the phrase.

(Speaking as a contributor, I absolutely agree that the "language" 
Europanto is silly and a joke, and that its inclusion in ISO 639-3 was a 
mistake.)

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:25:31 -0800

Hi -

As a technical contributor..

> From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>; "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:15 PM
> Subject: [Ltru] Excluding language subtag 'eur' (was: Re: Principles ofOperation)
...
> Europanto is silly and a joke, and that its inclusion in ISO 639-3 was a 
...

I object to making such exclusions.  There is no operational or
technical reason to justify such an exclusion.  Making such an
exclusion opens the door to accusations of cherry-picking.

Randy

---

From: Michael Everson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:22:10 +0000

At 13:15 -0800 2008-01-30, Doug Ewell wrote:

>Speaking as editor of RFC 4645bis, I would need some specific 
>wording in RFC 4646bis to authorize this.  I cannot in good faith 
>exclude any subtag from the 4645bis Registry without an objective 
>justification, on the basis that members of ietf-languages feel the 
>subtag is silly or a joke or a mistake.  To do so would be a process 
>failure in the truest sense of the phrase.

Life is too short for this nonsense. Do let's not gerrymander ISO 
639-3. If it has crap in it, people just don't have to use the crap. 
And if they want to, let them. 4645bis should not be a language nanny.
-- 
Michael Everson * http://www.evertype.com