Subject: [Ltru] Possible RFC 3683 PR-action

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:16:12 -0800

Hi -

As co-chair...

It is suspected that someone whose posting privileges to the [email-masked]
mailing list were revoked pursuant to an RFC 3683 PR-action has been
posting to the WG mailing list under one or more pseudonyms.  While
RFC 3683 recognizes the possibility of such misbehavior, it does not
prescribe a means of determining when such a situation exists.  As
suggested by our area director, we propose the following metric:

1. All chairs and the responsible area director agree that the identified 
email address is the person subject to a PR action.

2. At least one independent participant of the list is informed that a 
suspected violation of a PR action is in progress without being informed of 
the suspect posting address or addresses.  That participant must 
independently identify the same posting address or addresses as the WG 
chairs & AD.

The list should be informed when the metric is applied.

Of course, this action would be subject to the usual appeal process.

We'd like to get a read on whether the working group feels this would be
adequate.  I understand "independent participants" in our context as list
subscribers (other than the chairs, ADs, and editors) who give some
indication (such as recent postings) that would indicate that they are
actually reading the list.  Martin and I think consulting three such
participants should provide an adequate degree of confidence that the
corrent address(es) have been identified, since that would mean that
a total of six people have all come to the same conclusion about what
postings were in question and who the poster might be.

Please respond to the [email-masked] list indicating whether you find
this to be an acceptiable approach.

Randy

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 07:26:24 -0700

Very acceptable.

(Myself, I tend to blacklist the person involved in my email client as soon
as identified -- but of course that still leaves random clutter in the
archives.)

Mark

-- 
Mark

---

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:47:31 -0700

+1

Mark Davis wrote:
> Very acceptable.
> 
> (Myself, I tend to blacklist the person involved in my email client as 
> soon as identified -- but of course that still leaves random clutter in 
> the archives.)
> 
> Mark
> 
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Randy Presuhn 
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>     Hi -
> 
>     As co-chair...
> 
>     It is suspected that someone whose posting privileges to the
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     Please respond to the [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> list
>     indicating whether you find

-- 
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

Internationalization is an architecture.
It is not a feature.
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:38:19 -0800

Hi -

There have been expressions of support, and no objections on this list,
to the proposed metric (and one off-list objection by JFC Morfin) for
identifying possible sock-puppets of those whose posting privileges
have been revoked pursuant to RFC 3683.  So, we're using it.

We engaged the procedure with three independent working group participants.
All three identified the same email address, which was also identified by the
responsible area director and both co-chairs.  Consequently, future postings
from [email-masked] will not be delivered, since we believe this address
is a sock-puppet for JFC Morfin.

Randy
ltru co-chair

---

From: Peter Constable <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 23:29:13 -0700

+1

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Addison Phillips
> Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:48 AM
> To: Mark Davis
> Cc: LTRU Working Group; Chris Newman
> Subject: Re: [Ltru] Possible RFC 3683 PR-action
>
> +1
>
> Mark Davis wrote:
> > Very acceptable.
> >
> >     adequate.  I understand "independent participants" in our context
> as
> >     list