Subject: Re: [Ltru] Last open item

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:53:46 -0600

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

> So my proposal is to change the above lines to drop the first one, and 
> change the second to:
>
> Values in the fields 'Type', 'Subtag', 'Tag', and 'Added' MUST NOT be 
> changed and are guaranteed to be stable over time. Values in the 
> 'Deprecated' and 'Preferred-Value' MUST NOT be changed unless the tag 
> or subtag in the Preferred-Value field is itself deprecated, or if a 
> deprecation is reversed in one of the source standards.

I no longer have a strong opinion on this.  I know that at one point it 
was agreed that we should never, ever change Deprecated and 
Preferred-Value fields, in the interest of stability.  If that is no 
longer a concern, or if we were wrong about the amount of stability thus 
provided, then this change is fine.

My usual concern is that, if we want to change one of our own decisions 
from the past, we should understand why we came to that decision in the 
first place.  That criterion seems to be fulfilled here.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:55:45 -0600

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

> Before forwarding a new registration to IANA, the Language Subtag 
> Reviewer MUST ensure that values in the 'Subtag' field match case 
> according to the description in Section 3.1, and that all other 
> requirements of this specification are followed.
>
> Rationale. It has been implicit in all of our discussions and in the 
> document that the LSR must follow all of the policies in the document 
> [are followed], *not just casing*. However, it isn't really explicit 
> in the document, and should be. This is a minimal change to that end 
> (although other wording would be possible).

Agreed.  This change is short and harmless.

---

From: Peter Constable <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 06:30:45 -0700

+1
Peter

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Doug Ewell
> Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2008 9:56 AM
> To: LTRU Working Group
> Subject: Re: [Ltru] Last open item
>

---

From: "Phillips, Addison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:13:29 -0700

(editor hat on)

Done, with a minor difference. The inserted text reads:

<t>Before forwarding a new registration to IANA, the Language Subtag Reviewer MUST ensure that all requirements in this document are met and that values in the 'Subtag' field match case according to the description in <xref target="ianaformat"></xref>.</t>

The emphasis on the casing requirement seemed a little backwards :-)

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126 (Amazon)
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.

> Peter Constable
> Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:31 AM
> To: Doug Ewell; LTRU Working Group