Subject: [Ltru] Editorial fix

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:10:12 -0700

On another mailing list, Debbie quoted the following, in
http://www.inter-locale.com/ID/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-13.html

> A language tag consists of a "primary language" subtag and a (possibly
empty) series of subsequent subtags, each of which refines or narrows the
range of languages identified by the overall tag.

This is actually false, since "x-foobar" doesn't follow this. My suggested
fix:

A language tag usually consists of a "primary language" subtag and a
(possibly empty) series of subsequent subtags, each of which refines or
narrows the range of languages identified by the overall tag.

Anyone object to making this fix, or have a suggestion for better language?

-- 
Mark
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Phillips, Addison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:16:15 -0700

I don’t object to making the change.

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126 (Amazon)
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mark Davis
Sent: mercredi 16 avril 2008 10:10
To: LTRU Working Group
Subject: [Ltru] Editorial fix

On another mailing list, Debbie quoted the following, in http://www.inter-locale.com/ID/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-13.html

> A language tag consists of a "primary language" subtag and a (possibly empty) series of subsequent subtags, each of which refines or narrows the range of languages identified by the overall tag.

This is actually false, since "x-foobar" doesn't follow this. My suggested fix:
A language tag usually consists of a "primary language" subtag and a (possibly empty) series of subsequent subtags, each of which refines or narrows the range of languages identified by the overall tag.

---

From: "Debbie Garside" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:27:23 +0100

+1
 
Debbie

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Phillips, Addison
Sent: 16 April 2008 18:16
To: Mark Davis; LTRU Working Group
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Editorial fix

I don't object to making the change.

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison Phillips

It is an architecture.

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mark
Davis
Sent: mercredi 16 avril 2008 10:10
To: LTRU Working Group
Subject: [Ltru] Editorial fix

-- 
Mark

---

From: Marion Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:28:25 +0100

To a terminologist, noticing that the word "usually" has been inserted 
in a definition usually sets an alarm light going to indicate that the 
definition in question is most probably intrinsically false or weak (or 
otherwise unstable) so, although I have been recently been reluctant to 
offer specific comments on the level of language used in this document, 
largely because my asking technicians to supply definitions of their own 
chosen technical terms at the very start of this work got me mostly 
criticism, :-(  here goes:

'Apart from the exception(s) specifically listed at [state where], a 
language tag consists of a "primary language" subtag and a (possibly 
empty) series of subsequent subtags whose sole purpose is to refine or 
narrow the range of languages identified by the overall tag.'

I would also hold that this kind of 'fix' is too important to be classed 
as merely 'editorial', as it changes a major concept on which the 
validity or otherwise of the whole document depends.
mg

Scríobh Mark Davis:
> > A language tag consists of a "primary language" subtag and a 
> (possibly empty) series of subsequent subtags, each of which refines 
> or narrows the range of languages identified by the overall tag.
>
> (possibly empty) series of subsequent subtags, each of which refines 
> or narrows the range of languages identified by the overall tag.
>

-- 

Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an
Bhóthair, Co. Átha Cliath, Éire.
* [email-masked] * [email-masked] *
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:27:37 -0700

That is overblown.

That line is merely an introductory sentence to give people a sense of what
a language tag looks like, not a definition. The precise formal definition
is below it, and anyone reading the document will see it. There is no need
to make an introductory statement hard to understand -- we have plenty of
opportunity to do that later...

Mark

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 1:28 AM, Marion Gunn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> To a terminologist, noticing that the word "usually" has been inserted in
> a definition usually sets an alarm light going to indicate that the
> language tag consists of a "primary language" subtag and a (possibly empty)
> series of subsequent subtags whose sole purpose is to refine or narrow the
> range of languages identified by the overall tag.'
>
> as merely 'editorial', as it changes a major concept on which the validity
> or otherwise of the whole document depends.
> mg
>
>
> Scríobh Mark Davis:
>

---

From: Marion Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:15:40 +0100

> That is overblown.
Fine. Given the likelihood of continuing difficulties around that 
definition, despite protracted discussion of it, I felt moved to put on 
the record my suggestion. Thanks for allowing me to do so.
> That line is merely an introductory sentence to give people a sense of 
> what a language tag looks like, not a definition. The precise formal 
> definition is below it, and anyone reading the document will see it. 
> There is no need to make an introductory statement hard to understand 
> -- we have plenty of opportunity to do that later...
Is it possible to detect a note of humour in the above? For my part, not 
presuming to do so, of course.
mg
>
> Mark
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 1:28 AM, Marion Gunn <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote: 
> narrow the range of languages identified by the overall tag.' ...

--