Subject: [Ltru] [[email-masked]: IANA Update: Project to convert registries to XML]

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:21:16 +0200

The LSR is mentioned, to say that it is not impacted.

Subject: IANA Update: Project to convert registries to XML
From: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
To: IETF Discussion <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:04:07 -0700
List-Id: IETF-Discussion <ietf.ietf.org>

IETF Community:

As first announced in April 2008, IANA is improving the formatting of its
protocol registries by migrating the source format of these registries to
structured XML format. We are pleased to announce the first set of migrated
registries have now come online.

Prior to this migration, typically protocol registries were formatted in a
plain text version. Now, with XML formatted source documents, IANA will
publish a number of different formats for converted registries. In
particular, converted registries will initially be available in XML, XHTML
and plain text versions.  It is intended that XHTML become the preferred
format for viewing registries, with plain text being made available for
accessibility reasons.

The remainder of the registries which are not yet converted require further
consultation on formatting issues. It is intended that over the coming
months these issues will be resolved and the conversion will be completed.
Some registries that have specific formatting requirements, such as
Management Information Base (MIB) files, will not be converted.

In order to make the transition as smooth as possible, IANA will continue to
maintain the legacy plain text formats until 30 November 2008. After this
date, plain text versions will only be provided that are derived from the
XML formats. However, implementors who intend to parse the contents of an
IANA protocol registry should migrate to using the XML versions, rather than
the plain text version.

All existing URLs to protocol registries shall continue to work, and the new
formats will be available from our website at http://www.iana.org/protocols/
as they are rolled out.

An example of a converted registry is:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/aaa-parameters (legacy text version)
http://www.iana.org/assignments/aaa-parameters/aaa-parameters.txt (new text
version)
http://www.iana.org/assignments/aaa-parameters/aaa-parameters.xhtml (new
HTML version)
http://www.iana.org/assignments/aaa-parameters/aaa-parameters.xml (new XML
version)

The next steps (in addition to completing the remaining registries) includes
introducing new services such as the ability to subscribe to be notified of
registry changes. IANA will continue to provide updates to the IETF list as
more steps are completed.

If you have any questions regarding this project or regarding the format of
the registries, please contact IANA ([email-masked]) or myself (contact
information found below).

Thank you,

Michelle Cotton
IANA IETF Liaison
Email: [email-masked]

***

Initial Announcement:  Wed, 23 Apr 2008
Subject: IANA Update: Project to convert registries to XML

IANA is currently engaged in a project to convert the IETF related
registries to XML to provide the community with multiple ways of
viewing registry information.  When conversion to XML is done, XML
will become the source format for the registries and the current
formats of html and plain text will be generated from the XML
source.  Stylesheets and schemas will also be made available together
with XML. Users will be able to access the registries in new and
useful ways, while still having the ability to see the registries in
the original style.

Part of the conversion requires IANA to "clean-up" the registries in
order to fit with the XML schemas.  IANA is not changing the data in
the registries.  IANA is cleaning up the formatting including
regularizing spacing and providing consistent display of titles,
references and registration procedures.

For those registries that need extensive format changes, IANA will be
working with the appropriate working groups and area directors to
make sure that the format changes do not affect the content of the
registry.

Those registries that are required to be in specific formats, for
example the MIBs and language subtags registries, will still be
produced in the existing formats.

IANA has consulted with the IETF XML directorate to make sure that
the XML schemas are properly formulated. Certain decisions on schemas
reflect the needs of IANA in maintaining the registries moving forward.

In the coming months, cleaned-up versions of the registries will
begin appearing on the IANA website.  If you notice any content
issues with the updated versions, or if they are not accessible,
please notify IANA staff immediately and we will work with the
appropriate parties to correct any inconsistencies.

We look forward to providing the XML versions of the registries to
better serve the community's needs.  IANA will announce in advance when
the registry conversion will be completed.  After the
conversion is complete, we intend to introduce new services such as
the ability to subscribe to be notified when specific registries are
updated

Thank you,

Michelle Cotton
IANA IETF Liaison
Email: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru