Subject: Re: [Ltru] A radical proposal (was: Re: extlang & deprecation)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 21:02:08 -0600

Randy Presuhn <randy underscore presuhn at mindspring dot com> wrote:

> The macrolanguage tag by itself should always have the meaning "this 
> is some kind of X, but we're not able / willing to say precisely which 
> kind."

+1 with gusto.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 12:04:42 -0400

Peter Constable scripsit:

> (A small correction wrt ms: MARC explicitly describes the corresponding
> alpha-3 ID "may" as being used for "Pelambang Malay" as well as for
> "Malay". It's not clear to me exactly what is meant by "Pelambang Malay"
> or how it relates to existing entries in ISO 639-3.)

Deep confusions here.  There is a city in southern Sumatra, the original
capital of the empire of Srivijaya, with doubtful vocalism:  Palembang
seems to be the most common and usual name, but I find also Pelambang,
Palambang, and Pelembang.  There is only one Google hit for "Pelambang
Malay", a document which also contains "Palembang Malay".  There are
many hits for this latter phrase, including Ethnologue, which tells us
that it is an alternative name for the language Palembang, code 'plm'.
Checking the 639-3 site tells us that 'plm' was retired in January
2008, merged into Musi, code 'mui', a Malayan language which is *not*,
unfortunately, a member of the Malay macrolanguage, 'msa'.

-- 
A: "Spiro conjectures Ex-Lax."                  John Cowan
Q: "What does Pat Nixon frost her cakes with?"  [email-masked]
  --"Jeopardy" for generative semanticists      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru