Subject: Re: [Ltru] 2.2.4: codes listed as eligible for registration in 4645

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 22:03:10 -0600

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

> Draft 16 currently has this wording:
>
> ------------
> E. UN numeric codes and ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 codes for countries or 
> areas listed as eligible for registration in [RFC4645] but not 
> presently registered MAY be entered into the IANA registry via the 
> process described in Section 3.5 (Registration Procedure for Subtags). 
> Once registered, these codes MAY be used to form language tags.
> ------------
>
> The intended reference isn't clear: I don't see a M.46 or 3166-1 codes 
> listed in 4645 as eligible for registration. (The closest I see are a 
> set of M.49 codes that are *in*eligible for registration.) Is this 
> paragraph an anachronism that is no longer needed? If it still has a 
> useful purpose, then it might help to clear up the wording.

For over a year -- which seems short now -- Section 4 of RFC 4645 showed 
830 (Channel Islands), 831 (Guernsey), 832 (Jersey), and 833 (Isle of 
Man) as being eligible for registration.  While 4645 sat in the RFC 
Editor queue, waiting for 4647 to be finished, ISO 3166/MA added GG and 
JE and IM, which made 831, 832, and 833 ineligible and which required a 
quick last-minute fix to 4645.

So 830 is still eligible to be registered (though I don't know what 
doing so would accomplish), and thus the wording in draft-16 has a 
purpose.

Quiz:  Without looking, recite all of the numbers mentioned in the body 
of this message, in order.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru