Subject: [Ltru] editor copy updated...

From: "Phillips, Addison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:32:02 -0700

Hi,

I have updated the editor's copy of draft-17 on inter-locale just now, including the various edits just posted on this list.

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:47:00 -0700

Looks good. If you add SS to extlang (note, I don't think that's optimal but
I can live with it), then you have to change:

9. The field 'Suppress-Script' MAY be added or removed via the registration
process. However, for records of type extlang the Suppress-Script field MUST
be synchronized with the Suppress-Script field on the corresponding primary
language subtag. Thus if the extlang 'abh' has Suppress-Script: Arab, then
the language 'abh' MUST have Suppress-Script: Arab. If the extlang 'yue' as
no Suppress-Script, then the language 'yue' MUST have no Suppress-Script.

Mark

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Phillips, Addison <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have updated the editor's copy of draft-17 on inter-locale just now,
> including the various edits just posted on this list.
>
> Addison
>
> Addison Phillips

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:11:48 -0400

> including the various edits just posted on this list.

Just a few editorial nits:

Section 3.4, bullet point 17:  s/did so/became so/; becoming is not a
species of doing (in technical language "become" is an unaccusative verb).

3.5, paragraph beginning "Requests to add a 'Prefix' field to a variant
subtag", add to end:

        Variant subtags based on the terminology of the language to
        which they apply are encouraged.

Or put this somewhere else.

4.1 bullet point 2: s/this field by defines/this field defines/.

4.1 bullet point 6:

        If a variant lists another variant in one of its 'Prefix' fields,
        it SHOULD appear directly after that variant in any language
        tag where both occur.

is confusing; rewrite as:

        If a variant lists a second variant in one of its 'Prefix' fields,
        the first variant SHOULD appear directly after the second variant
        in any language tag where both occur.

4.1.1: s/Each Macrolanguage/Each macrolanguage/.

5: s/steps to reasonably ascertain/reasonable steps to ascertain/.

-- 
Dream projects long deferred             John Cowan <[email-masked]>
usually bite the wax tadpole.            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
        --James Lileks
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Phillips, Addison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:36:49 -0700

(editor hat)

> species of doing (in technical language "become" is an unaccusative

DONE. Actually said "became redundant" for clarity.

> Or put this somewhere else.

DONE. There are two paragraphs that begin that way, both of which prohibit changing the semantic meaning of a subtag. I'm not sure this applies to either. I therefore added this to the paragraph about "use with a particular range" the precedes both, which now reads:

--
<t>Variant subtags are usually registered for use with a particular range of language tags and variant subtags based on the terminology of the language to which they are apply are encouraged. For example, the subtag 'rozaj' (Resian) is
intended for use with language tags that start with the primary language subtag "sl" (Slovenian), since
Resian is a dialect of Slovenian. Thus, the subtag 'rozaj' would be appropriate in tags such as "sl-Latn-rozaj" or
"sl-IT-rozaj". This information is stored in the 'Prefix' field in the registry. Variant registration requests SHOULD include at least one 'Prefix' field in the registration form.</t>
--

> 4.1 bullet point 2: s/this field by defines/this field defines/.

DONE.

>         in any language tag where both occur.

DONE. That's a much better phrasing for something that I'd noodled around with for awhile.

> 4.1.1: s/Each Macrolanguage/Each macrolanguage/.

DONE.

> 5: s/steps to reasonably ascertain/reasonable steps to ascertain/.

DONE

Thanks: very helpful.

Addison

Addison Phillips