Subject: Re: [Ltru] Two grandfathered tags for 'Hakka'

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 12:35:28 -0600

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at comhem dot se> wrote:

>> Fine: unless I hear otherwise in the next 72 hours (Monday, June 28 
>> at 5:00 UTC), I will change the four "PRIVATE USE" Descriptions to 
>> the calmer "Private Use".
>
> I don't like the "titlecase" here, there is no name. Describing these 
> as "private use" (all lowercase) will be fine.

Actually, sentence case ("Private use") would be most consistent with 
our other Description fields that are descriptive rather than 
nominative.  Compare:

"Apache languages"
"Code for unwritten documents"
"Traditional German orthography"
"The Oseacco dialect of Resian"

We usually avoid starting Description fields with a lowercase letter. 
Exceptions are "tlhIngan-Hol", where the spelling reflects an 
orthographic requirement, and "simplified Chinese" and "traditional 
Chinese" for two redundant tags registered in the RFC 3066 era, when 
stylistic consistency was given relatively little thought.

> I would also not object (understatement...) if click letters were 
> spelled with the actual click letters in Unicode, rather than keeping 
> the ASCII fallbacks (in e.g. Description: =/Kx'au//'ein, and a few 
> others). (I've pointed this out a few times before.)

I know you have, and I'm sure you or someone else has supplied a table 
that maps the ASCII fallbacks to the real click letters (though I don't 
have such a table at hand).  Does anyone else support this?

This is somewhat akin to the desire to spell Description fields with the 
"correct" apostrophes and modifier letters: it is certainly more 
correct, but might cause searching and display problems.  (I know we 
don't specify UI, but most implementers will not have much else to go 
by.)  The one thing we, or at least I, do not want is to carry along 
both the "real" and ASCII versions.  I'm already trying to get rid of 
those typographical duplicates.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Kent Karlsson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:18:20 +0200

Doug Ewell wrote:
> have such a table at hand).

I think the table would be:

        /  -> ǀ    01C0;LATIN LETTER DENTAL CLICK;Lo;0;L;;;;;N;LATIN LETTER PIPE;;;;
        // -> ǁ    01C1;LATIN LETTER LATERAL CLICK;Lo;0;L;;;;;N;LATIN LETTER DOUBLE PIPE;;;;
        =/ -> ǂ    01C2;LATIN LETTER ALVEOLAR CLICK;Lo;0;L;;;;;N;LATIN LETTER PIPE DOUBLE BAR;;;;
        !  -> ǃ    01C3;LATIN LETTER RETROFLEX CLICK;Lo;0;L;;;;;N;LATIN LETTER EXCLAMATION MARK;;;;

And the following descriptions seem to contain click letters written as ASCII fallbacks:

oun                        I        L        !O!ung
nmn                        I        L        !Xóõ
hnh                        I        L        //Ani
gnk                        I        L        //Gana
xeg                        I        E        //Xegwi
gwj                        I        L        /Gwi
xam                        I        E        /Xam
huc                        I        L        =/Hua
aue                        I        L        =/Kx'au//'ein
hgm                        I        L        Hai//om
ktz                        I        L        Ju/'hoan
ngh                        I        L   

		/kent k