Subject: [Ltru] Expanding the xx..yy ranges (was: Re: Two grandfathered tags for 'Hakka')

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:54:26 -0600

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> responded to 
Martin and John:

>>> I'm fine with "Private Use" or "private use", much better than 
>>> "PRIVATE USE". On the other hand, I don't think it's a good idea to 
>>> make our registry even longer by expanding these. It would expand 
>>> our registry by about 10%.
>>
>> I don't think a 10% expansion is a bad trade-off, considering how big 
>> the registry is going to get, for simpler parsing.
>
> I'm a bit split on this. I'm generally in favor of simpler parsing, 
> but the effort needed to parse the ranges used for Private Use is 
> extremely small -- only a couple of (straightforward) lines of code. 
> So I could live with it either way.

OK, now I have TWO change items on which I request that the co-chairs 
determine rough consensus:

1. whether to modify the Description fields of ISO 639-3 language names 
that contain ASCII approximations of click letters, replacing them with 
real Unicode click letters

2. whether to expand the four subtags that contain "xx..yy" ranges into 
individual records

Regarding #2, we are talking about expanding 4 records into 610, for a 
net increase of 606 records.  The current 4645bis Registry includes 8561 
subtags, so this represents a 7% increase.

I will take no action on either of these items unless and until one of 
the co-chairs declares rough consensus, one way or the other.  These are 
technical, not editorial, and there is already disagreement on #2.

On the other hand, the issue of changing the case of "PRIVATE USE" is an 
editorial matter, and since I have heard no objection to the concept in 
general nor to my suggestion of "Private use" in particular, I will go 
ahead and make this change.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:39:01 -0700

Hi -

As a technical contributor...

> From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
> To: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 9:54 PM
> Subject: [Ltru] Expanding the xx..yy ranges (was: Re: Two grandfathered tagsfor 'Hakka')
...
> real Unicode click letters
...

I think ltru is the wrong place to be making such a change - this would
be more properly discussed on [email-masked], since it pertains
to the content of specific registration records, rather than being a
general question of policy or format.

Furthermore, if there is support for including the "real" Unicode clicks,
I believe these should be in addition to, rather than as replacements for,
the representations we got from ISO 639-3.

Randy