Subject: [Ltru] Fwd: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your comments on revisedproposed legend text to work-around the Pre-5378 Problem

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:38:45 +0900

[FYI, just to show everybody that this issue that is blocking us
moving to last call is hopefully moving towards a resolution soon.]

>From: "Ed Juskevicius" <[email-masked]>

>Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your comments on 
>revisedproposed legend text to work-around the Pre-5378 Problem
>Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:29:33 -0500

>List-Id: IETF-Discussion <ietf.ietf.org>

>This message is in follow-up to the IETF Trustees' request for community
>review (announced on January 6, 2009) on some new legend text intended to
>help authors work around the "pre-5378 problem".  
>
>Please recall that some I-D authors have experienced difficulty implementing
>RFC5378 since it was published on November 10, 2008.  An example of the
>difficulty is summarized below:
>  - an author wants to include pre-5378 content in a new submission
>    or contribution to the IETF, but
>  - the author is not able to assert that every author of the pre-5378
>    content has agreed (or would agree) to license the earlier material
>    for use outside of the IETF Standards Process
>
>As a result of the above situation, many authors have reported they can not
>submit or progress new contributions, because the legend text authorized by
>the Trustees in November 2008 had no provisions for dealing with this
>"pre-5378" problem. 
>
>The Trustees met with legal counsel on January 22nd to discuss the comments
>and suggestions which you have provided since January 6th.  We have received
>many excellent suggestions for ways to clarify and improve the draft legend
>text, and we are grateful for this.  
>
>Based on the feedback received to date, the Trustees are now proposing a few
>changes to the draft legend text. 
>
>The 'old' legend text (as posted for community review on 2009-01-06) was:
>
>> 6. Text To Be Included in IETF Documents
>> c. Derivative Works and Publication Limitations
>> iii.  If a Contribution includes Pre-5378 Material and the Contributor
>> does not wish to allow modifications of such Pre-5378 Material to be
>> made outside the IETF Standards Process:
>>
>> This document contains material from IETF Documents or IETF Contributions
>> published before November 10, 2008 and, to the Contributor's knowledge,
>> the person(s) controlling the copyright in such material have not granted
>> the IETF Trust the right to allow modifications of such material outside
>> the IETF Standards Process.  Without obtaining an adequate license from
>> the person(s) controlling the copyright, this document may not be modified
>> outside the IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of it may not be
>> created outside the IETF Standards Process, except to format it for
>> publication as an RFC and to translate it into languages other than
>> English.
>
>The updated proposed legend text based on the discussion to date is as
>follows: 
>
>This document may contain material from IETF Documents or IETF Contributions
>published or made publicly available before November 10, 2008. The person(s)
>controlling the copyright in some of this material may not have granted the
>IETF Trust the right to allow modifications of such material outside the
>IETF Standards Process. Without obtaining an adequate license from the
>person(s) controlling the copyright in such materials, this document may not
>be modified outside the IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of it
>may not be created outside the IETF Standards Process, except to format it
>for publication as an RFC and to translate it into languages other than
>English.
>
>The Trustees invite your comments on the updated proposed legend text. We
>believe the updated text incorporates the feedback we have received to date,
>and we hope it clarifies the proposed legend.
>
>The Trustees will meet again in early February to decide on whether to
>revise the Trust License Policy based on the ongoing community discussion.
>If so decided, a revision to the Trust's "Legal Provisions Relating to IETF
>Documents" policy will be published.  Please refer to the attached PDF file
>for an example of how the Legal Provisions document might look if today's
>update to proposed legend text is adopted. A softcopy is available on the
>IETF Trust website under the heading "DRAFT Policy and Procedures Being
>Developed" at:
>http://trustee.ietf.org/policyandprocedures.html 
>
>If you have any comments on the updated proposed legend text, please post
>them before the end of February 7th.  The Trustees need to decide on whether
>to adopt the proposed legend text, and then communicate our decision to you
>on or before February 15th.
>
>Please give this your attention.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ed Juskevicius, on behalf of the IETF Trustees
>[email-masked]
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Ietf mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, Assoc. Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:[email-masked]     

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru