Subject: [Ltru] Preferred-Value for YU?

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:56:25 -0700

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed already.

Region subtag YU ("Yugoslavia") is currently deprecated with a 
Preferred-Value of CS ("Serbia and Montenegro").  CS, in turn, has been 
deprecated since 2006-10-05 with no Preferred-Value, but with a comment 
to "see" (i.e. use) RS for Serbia or ME for Montenegro.

At some point during the LTRU 2.0 effort, we agreed to "snap the 
Preferred-Value pointers," so to speak, so that if subtag Alpha is 
deprecated with a P-V of subtag Beta, and Beta is deprecated with a P-V 
of Gamma, we would change the P-V for Alpha to point directly to Gamma, 
so the user wouldn't have to follow a chain of P-Vs.

In draft-4645bis, should we modify the record for subtag YU by removing 
the P-V of CS, since CS is itself deprecated with no P-V?

(Sorry for the alphabet soup.  You may need to read this post again.)

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Kent Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 20:26:01 +0100

I would prefer to modify the record for subtag YU by removing
the P-V of CS.
Both for the formal reason you give, but also for the reasons that
Yugoslavia most of the time was larger than Serbia and Montenegro (and
Serbia and Montenegro used the name Yugoslavia only initially). Furthermore,
as we all(?) know, CS used to refer to Czechoslovakia. All of this speaks
for leaving YU deprecated without a P-V.

    /kent k

> Apologies in advance if this has been discussed already.

Region subtag YU
> ("Yugoslavia") is currently deprecated with a 
Preferred-Value of CS ("Serbia
> and Montenegro").  CS, in turn, has been 
deprecated since 2006-10-05 with no
> Preferred-Value, but with a comment 
to "see" (i.e. use) RS for Serbia or ME
> for Montenegro.

At some point during the LTRU 2.0 effort, we agreed to "snap
> the 
of
> Gamma, we would change the P-V for Alpha to point directly to Gamma, 
so the
> user wouldn't have to follow a chain of P-Vs.

In draft-4645bis, should we
> modify the record for subtag YU by removing 
the P-V of CS, since CS is itself
> deprecated with no P-V?

(Sorry for the alphabet soup.  You may need to read
> this post again.)

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *
> UTN 
> #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.htm
> l
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages
> –

Ltru mailing
> list
[email-masked]

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:31:41 -0500

> the P-V of CS, since CS is itself deprecated with no P-V?

+1 for removing CS.

I'd propose adding a comment something like "See BA, HR, ME, MK, RS, or SI."

-- 
John Cowan    [email-masked]    http://ccil.org/~cowan
This great college [Trinity], of this ancient university [Cambridge],
has seen some strange sights. It has seen Wordsworth drunk and Porson
sober. And here am I, a better poet than Porson, and a better scholar
than Wordsworth, somewhere betwixt and between.  --A.E. Housman
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 14:19:42 -0700

> +1 for removing CS.

Two assenting voices on a Saturday afternoon and no dissenting voices is 
enough to make this minor change to the draft.  There will presumably be 
lots of time for dissenters to make themselves heard.

> I'd propose adding a comment something like "See BA, HR, ME, MK, RS, 

I can do this.  I suppose the precedent of having to provide informative 
mappings every time ISO 3166 countries split or merge has already been 
set by the CS and GB comments.  I imagine when as the Netherlands 
Antilles continue to get their own 3166 codes, the Registry will be 
expected to provide this sort of mapping back to AN, and we may need to 
retrofit comments onto BL and MF as well.