Subject: [Ltru] Political motivation (was: Re: Geocoordinates)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 21:23:55 -0600

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

>> There was too much of that already in the discussions about 
>> Belarusian variants.
>
> But you did agree that if there were two varieties of Belarussian 
> writing online it was appropriate to have subtags for both.

Absolutely correct.  But that does not mean the discussions needed to be 
characterized by each side accusing the other of political motives, or 
fighting over which variation was "better."

Perhaps I should rephrase: ietf-languages needs to be vigilant in not 
accepting applications for subtags that don't represent legitimate 
differences, or arguments that imply that one variation is superior to 
another, due to such applications or arguments being primarily motivated 
by politics.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ