Subject: [Ltru] BCP 47, RFC 5646 on Tags for Identifying Languages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 15:20:12 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 47        
        RFC 5646

        Title:      Tags for Identifying Languages 
        Author:     A. Phillips, Ed.,
                    M. Davis, Ed.
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       September 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      84
        Characters: 208592
        Obsoletes:  RFC4646
        See Also:   BCP0047

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-23.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5646.txt

This document describes the structure, content, construction, and
semantics of language tags for use in cases where it is desirable to
indicate the language used in an information object.  It also
describes how to register values for use in language tags and the
creation of user-defined extensions for private interchange.  This document 
specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.

This document is a product of the Language Tag Registry Update Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 18:38:33 -0400

> A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

Well, I'm sure glad it's out, but couldn't we have gotten, like,
RFC 5656 instead?  Much cooler.

-- 
John Cowan  http://ccil.org/~cowan    [email-masked]
There are books that are at once excellent and boring.  Those that at
once leap to the mind are Thoreau's Walden, Emerson's Essays, George
Eliot's Adam Bede, and Landor's Dialogues.  --Somerset Maugham

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 15:42:13 -0700

Hi -

Both as co-chair and as a technical contributor,
I'd like to thank Mark and Addison for their work as
editors of this document, co-chair Martin for shepherding
this through the final weeks, and all the participants in this
working group for their contributions and patience in bringing
this work to a successful conclusion.

Randy

> From: <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, September 04, 2009 3:20 PM
> Subject: [Ltru] BCP 47, RFC 5646 on Tags for Identifying Languages
>
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ltru mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Mark Davis ⌛ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 17:04:10 -0700

My thanks also to Addison, the chairs, and all the participants in the
working group!

Mark

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 15:42, Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>wrote:

> > For searching the RFC series, see
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.

---

From: Kent Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 10:59:36 +0200

Very good!

But wasn't BCP 47 supposed to be the concatenation of RFC 5646 and RFC 4647
(just like the previous instance of BCP 47 was the concatenation of RFC 4646
and RFC 4647).

What is currently given as BCP 47 is RFC 5646 alone, no RFC 4647.

    /kent k

---

From: Mark Davis ⌛ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 08:34:09 -0700

I've reported that; last time it slipped through the cracks also for a
while.

Mark

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 18:55:50 +0900

I'd likewise like to thank Mark and Addison and Doug for their work as 
editors of our documents, and co-chair Randy for keeping track of 
issues, among a lot else, and everybody on the WG for all their 
contributions.

Regards,   Martin.

On 2009/09/05 7:42, Randy Presuhn wrote:
>> From:<[email-masked]>
>> To:<[email-masked]>;<[email-masked]>
>> Cc:<[email-masked]>;<[email-masked]>

-- 
#-# Martin J. Dürst, Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:[email-masked]