Subject: [Lwip] draft-ietf-lwig-terminology

From: peter van der Stok <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:28:01 +0100

Hi Carsten and Mehmet,

thanks for the terminology draft which is quite useful; and is 
providing clarifying information.

I want to re-ask to add terminology on power usage (possibly 
orthogonal) to the device classes C0-C2, as came forward from several 
persons on and off the wg-lists.
Power consumption is an important aspect and has quite "interesting" 
consequences for protocols and deployment options.
<Suggestion:>

P0: battery-less devices. They have a capacitor which is charged by 
harvesting power delivered by a small movement or light. The stored 
energy is just sufficient to send or receive a limited number of (today 
1-3) packets per processor wake-up.
It is important to realize that P0 devices are not limited by the 
number of packets they can send, but are limited as to the rate.

P1: battery-constrained devices. They have a battery. Whereas, P1 
devices are limited by the total number of packets they can send.  Every 
packet they send today is a packet they cannot send tomorrow.

P2: green devices. Independent of the energy source (external, battery 
capacitor) these devices continuously switch on and off parts of the 
electronics to reduce the power consumption as function of the external 
demands on its operation.

<end suggestion>

In the text under class 0 devices there is a phrase:
"Class 0 devices will participate in Internet communications with the 
help of larger devices acting as proxies or gateways".

I find it difficult to place the gateway. I have seen the term "server" 
mentioned as providing web-services to the device not supporetd by the 
device itself.

Greetings,

Peter

-- 
Peter van der Stok
mailto: [email-masked]
www: www.vanderstok.org
tel NL: +31(0)492474673     F: +33(0)966015248