Subject: [Lwip] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors-05: (with COMMENT)

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 19:02:20 -0800

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors-05: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

>From Eric Vyncke, as OPS DIR reviewer:
This informational draft is about the challenges associated with securing
resource-constrained smart object devices (such as those using CoAP).  It
describes a possible deployment model and some preliminary experiences. It is
part of a set of documents (draft- arkko-core-security-arch).

The challenges section includes many operational aspects: provisioning,
scalability, ... The document proposes a simple system to generate the device
identity based on its public key.

The authors made some tests using 6 different crypto-libraries on Arduino 8-bit
processors, this is the main part of the document. Finally, sections 7 and 8
describe a simple test application and some considerations about
implementations.

So, a rather practical document.

*My only regret is that ‘key pair renewal’ is mentioned twice in the document
(section 4.1 and 8.1) but without any detail... Key renewal is a big
operational issue and it deserves more text or be explicitly cited as a
non-goal in the abstract.*