Subject: [Lwip] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 11:38:07 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Light-Weight Implementation Guidance WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Practical Considerations and Implementation Experiences in Securing Smart Object Networks
        Authors         : Mohit Sethi
                          Jari Arkko
                          Ari Keranen
                          Heidi-Maria Back
	Filename        : draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors-06.txt
	Pages           : 34
	Date            : 2018-02-26

Abstract:
   This memo describes challenges associated with securing resource-
   constrained smart object devices.  The memo describes a possible
   deployment model where resource-constrained devices sign message
   objects, discusses the availability of cryptographic libraries for
   resource-constrained devices and presents some preliminary
   experiences with those libraries for message signing on resource-
   constrained devices.  Lastly, the memo discusses trade-offs involving
   different types of security approaches.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Mohit Sethi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 21:42:05 +0200

Dear all,

Thanks to all the feedback from the directorates as well as the IESG. We 
have now updated the draft based on the feedback received. There were no 
major changes and a list of all the issues fixed can be found below. 
This feedback has greatly helped us to improve the final version of the 
document. Hopefully, it has also made the job of the RFC editor easy.

--Mohit, Jari, Ari and Heidi

- Update acknowledgments section with all the reviewers.
- Added a bullet in section 9 (Summary) stating that developers should 
provide mechanisms for devices to generate new identities. (Christian 
Huitema)
- Expanded first use of ECDSA. (Dan Romascanu)
- Uniformly use "resource-constrained" instead of small devices. (Dan 
Romascanu)
- Add a sentence on how a real implementation would find the resource 
directory. (Dan Romascanu)
- "physically different" replaced with "physically distinct" in section 
7. (Spencer Dawkins)
- Fixed typo in Section 6 "results for for all the 128". (Emmanuel Baccelli)
- Rephrased the bullet on cryptographic-quality randomness on Arduino 
(Emmanuel Baccelli)
- Explicit mention of what is n and m in section 4.1. (Emmanuel Baccelli)
- Separate OS from cryptographic libraries and cite survey on OS for 
resource-constrained devices. (Emmanuel Baccelli)
- Fixed typo in Section 7 "enough power to be stay on". (Kathleen 
Moriarty and Emmanuel Baccelli)
- Fix missing article before "CoAP base specification". (Ben Campbell)
- Rephrased "Once both peers..." in section 4.1. (Ben Campbell)
- Added missing article before Igrp. (Ben Campbell)
- Fixed repeating either in section 4.2. (Ben Campbell)
- Added article "It is written in nesC programming language..." before 
"nesC". (Ben Campbell)
- Rephrased "The workshop recommended that additional work should be 
undertaken in" in section 2. (Warren Kumari)
- Rephrased ".. to be fed in (not both an identity and certificate or 
shared secrets that must be kept confidential)". (Warren Kumari)
- Split long sentence to remove ambiguity "For example, leap-of-faith or 
trust-on-first-use based pairing methods assume that the attacker....". 
(Warren Kumari)
- Split long sentence to remove ambiguity "We decided to use the Arduino 
Mega which has the same 8-bit architecture like the Arduino Uno...". 
(Warren Kumari)
- Join sentences "For instance, a sensor that wakes up every now and 
then can likely spend a fraction ...". (Warren Kumari)
- Added reference to nesC. (Eric Rescorla)
- Removed reference to outdated symmetric crypto algorithms. (Eric Rescorla)
- Change "For example, leap-of-faith or trust-on-first-use based pairing 
methods assume that the" to "For example, *many* leap-of-faith or 
trust-on-first-use based pairing methods assume that the". (Eric Rescorla)
- Remove "intuitive" from "intuitive API for developer". (Eric Rescorla)
- Remove extra 0 in measurements for ed25519. (Eric Rescorla)
- Add that relic now also support x25519 and ed25519. (Eric Rescorla)
- Add citation to SEC 2 recommended domain parameters for comparable RSA 
key lengths. (Eric Rescorla)
- Remove hyphen in wrap-around. (Eric Rescorla)
- Use the secp and sect notation uniformly. (Eric Rescorla)
- Authors have decided against adding commas in the measurements 
reported. We had commas in the earlier versions but the working group 
decided that it can cause confusion even though it provides better 
readability.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[Lwip] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors-06.txt
Date: 	Mon, 26 Feb 2018 11:38:07 -0800
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]
CC: 	[email-masked]

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
Lwip mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lwip