Subject: [Lwip] Feedback request: HTTP/2 implementation for embedded devices

From: Felipe Lalanne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 14:33:46 -0300

Hello everyone,

Within NIC Chile Research Labs, we’ve been interested for a while in the
topic of HTTP/2 for Internet of Things (see
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-montenegro-httpbis-h2ot-profile-00.txt
).

Although IoT specific application protocols (e.g. CoAP) present an
advantage in terms of power and data usage against HTTP, many of those
limitations are mitigated by HTTP/2 and 3, which, when paired with the
ubiquitous nature of HTTP, we believe may make this protocol a good
candidate for some IoT use cases, particularly when interoperability is a
priority.

On this note, we have recently released a first version of an HTTP/2 server
for embedded devices, which you can find in the URL below. Including the OS
overhead and our implementation, the server runs with 16K of static RAM,
and requires 1.5K of static RAM for additional devices. You can find more
documentation on the link below.

https://github.com/niclabs/two

We would love those interested, to try the implementation and give us
feedback on possible use cases, optimization ideas, or anything at all. We
have included instructions to run the implementation on the IoT-Lab testbed
<https://www.iot-lab.info/>  for those that would like to test but do not
have the hardware.

I thank you in advance for any feedback you can provide

Best regards
Felipe Lalanne