Subject: [Lwip] draft-ietf-lwig-minimal-esp shepherd writeup

From: Mohit Sethi M <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 09:31:51 +0000

The current version of the shepherd writeup is now in datatracker: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lwig-minimal-esp/shepherdwriteup/.

I have copied the text here for your convenience:

Mohit Sethi is the document Shepherd. Erik Kline is the responsible Area 
Director.

The document defines techniques for a minimal implementation of the 
Encapsulation Security Payload (ESP) defined in RFC 4303. It does not 
update or modify RFC 4303 in any way. In case of any conflicts RFC 4303 
is treated as authoritative description.

The following people reviewed and provided comments: Tero Kivinen, 
Valery Smyslov, and others. Paul Wouters had expressed strong 
reservations 
(https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/lwip/xDcICiuALZ2ExF3qwRCnhCQC3A0/) 
during the call for adoption. He had reservations against relaxing the 
randomness requirements for SPI. He also noted that the argument for not 
having a sequence number counters are weak as AES-GCM and 
CHACHA20POLY1305 require a counter anyways. Paul was amenable to 
adopting the document as long as it was defining an ESP profile for 
resource-constrained devices and not modifying the protocol itself.

No issues were raised during the working group last call. The document 
shepherd has solicited reviews from the security and IoT directorate as 
well as the gen-art team.

The Shepherd has verified that all of the authors have already disclosed 
any IPR related to this document, as is required by BCPs 78 and 79.

There are no DOWNREFs.

There are no IANA considerations.

--Mohit