Subject: [Madinas] New Non-WG Mailing List: madinas -- MAC Address Device Identification for Network and Application Services

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 09:19:47 -0700

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: [email-masked]
Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/madinas/
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/madinas

Purpose:
This list is for discussion of the MAC Address Device Identification for 
Network and Application Services (MADINAS) BOF at IETF 109.

Major operating systems have implemented and deployed MAC Address 
randomization features to enhance device and user privacy, as 
randomization can help avoid device identification. Device 
identification by MAC address is often used in ways that do not invade 
privacy, but that provides useful services to the device user. These 
services include network optimization, access control, usage counting, 
and security and user protection services. Some examples are LAN 
forwarding policy, sticky DHCP IP assignments, static NAT policy and MAC 
address ACL for blocking malicious or unwanted devices. In those 
situations, the deployment of MAC address randomization results in 
unintended and likely unforeseen impacts to the network, systems and 
applications external to the device implementing randomization.

This illustrates a potential need for the networking community (OS 
vendors, device manufacturers, application developers and network 
operators) to work more closely together to solve the needs of the end 
users. In some cases, a greater awareness by Network and Application 
Services to current MAC address usage may be enough. For other cases, a 
new solution may need to be developed and standardized to reach the 
desired outcome. The proponents of this BoF are interested in 
determining if there is sufficient support in the IETF community to 
define best practices, update any existing documents if needed, or 
potentially develop new protocols or mechanisms for service continuity 
in the presence of MAC Address randomization.  

This list belongs to IETF area: INT

For additional information, please contact the list administrators.