Subject: [magma] Silly questions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:49:29 +0200

Hello everyone,

  I'm an italian student working for an association of universities on a study 
about multicast. I'm managing networks in a laboratory in order to test 
multicast routing. 
I have a strange problem. Hope you can help me find out websites or manuals 
that can light the situation up. I've search in the net (rfc, draft and cisco 
IOS documents) but still can solve the problem.
I would be honored if anyone could please pay attention to my case.

A multicast source transmits mpackets to router1 (Cisco 3600, IOS 12.2(11)T) 
that forwards them to a dowstream switch.
Under the switch there are a group member and the router2(Cisco 7200,IOS 12.1
(13))that forwards the mpackets to another member in another subnet.
I dared attach an illustration of the network nodes described.

If both members leave the group (or at least member 2 does) router2 will keep 
active the entry (S,G) with a non-null incoming interface and a null outgoing 
one.
I can't understand why with no members there is still a session involving both 
routers and not only r1.
What am I missing?
Testing another configuration, with different routers, it didn't happen.

R1 has auto rp enabled, how can I disable it?
I forced r1 as DR and RP, but nothing canged.

I don't know who else ask help to.

Thank you in advance for any kind of reply and sorry for eventual grammar 
mistakes.

Best regards
                                               Emilio Madaio

------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through Caspur Webmail powered by
IMP (http://horde.org/imp/)