Subject: [magma] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-magma-igmp-proxy-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 11:35:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multicast & Anycast Group Membership Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IGMP/MLD-based Multicast Forwarding ('IGMP/MLD Proxying')
	Author(s)	: B. Fenner, et al
	Filename	: draft-ietf-magma-igmp-proxy-06.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2004-4-6
	
In certain topologies, it is not necessary to run a multicast routing
   protocol. It is sufficient for a device to learn and proxy group
   membership information and simply forward multicast packets based
   upon that information.  This draft describes a mechanism for
   forwarding based solely upon Internet Group Management Protocol
   (IGMP) or Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) membership information.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-magma-igmp-proxy-06.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-magma-igmp-proxy-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-magma-igmp-proxy-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:43:25 -0400

Not sure I understand the motivation behind:

4.3.
   ...

   An interface can be configured to perform IGMPv1 or IGMPv2. In this
   scenario, the SSM semantic will not be maintained for that interface.
   However, a proxy device that supports this document should ignore
   those IGMPv1 or IGMPv2 subscriptions sent to SSM addresses. And more
   importantly, the packets with source-specific addresses SHOULD NOT be
   forwarded to interfaces with IGMPv2 or IGMPv1 subscriptions for these
   addresses.

What would be wrong in principle with saying that packets belonging to SSM group addresses are forwarded to interfaces with IGMPv1, IGMPv2, or MLDv1 membership to those multicast groups, from any source device providing such multicasts from upstream?

Is the SHOULD NOT there to only discourage use of the SSM address block by non-SSM-capable membership? I can come up with disadvantages either way, so I'm curious why the SHOULD NOT.

Bert

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 10:36 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [magma] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-magma-igmp-proxy-06.txt
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma