Subject: [magma] Problem Statement for Securing MLD

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:06:17 +1000

Hi,

We've submitted a draft to MAGMA, entitled:

"Trust Models and Security in Multicast Listener Discovery"

Abstract:

  The Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) is used by IPv6 routers to
  discover the presence of multicast listeners (i.e.  nodes that wish
  to receive multicast packets) on their directly attached links, and
  to discover which multicast addresses are of interest to those
  neighbouring nodes.  The existing protocol specification (MLDv2)
  discusses the effects of on-link forgery of MLD packets but provides
  no protection from on-link attacks.

  By taking advantage of or abusing Multicast Listener Discovery, bogus
  devices may cause incorrect state and disruption to multicast or
  unicast packet delivery.  This memo considers the trust models for
  the MLD protocols, and their interaction as well as their interaction
  with link-layer and multicast proxy devices.  It provides a security
  and threat analysis for each model.

This draft should appear in the repository soon,
but is currently available from:

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/ipv6/draft-daley-magma-smld-prob-00.txt

A notice will also be going to the MSEC WG (so apologies if
you receive this twice).

Greg and Gopi

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma