Subject: [magma] Queries/Suggestiosn on MRD draft

From: "bharat_joshi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:24:41 +0530

Hi All,

I have couple of questions/suggestions. There might be some questions
and
suggestions which could have already been asked so please bear with me.

* Is there any need for router-alert option to be included in the IP
header?
  I think MRD is particularly targetted at layer-2 devices which would
not
  worry about IPv4 options and It does not make any difference whether a
  router process these packets or not.

* In section 3.0, there are four different scenarios when a router would
  send MRD advertisements. I think we should include "Link Up/down"
event
  as well. Why is it required is, lets say a router's ethernet link goes
  down and is down for more than NeighborDeadInterval. When this link
comes
  up, we would need to generate MRD advertisement again. BTW, will this
be
  taken care by restart of multicast forwarding interface?

* Should not AdvertisementJitter interval be a random value? There are
very
  high chances that the AdvertisementInterval is same and so this value
will
  also become same and the whole purpose of creating this will be
defeated.

* I think we should keep the default valur of MaxInitialAdvertisements
equal
  to the Robusteness variable defined in IGMP/MLD. So I think it should
be
  changed to 2.

* Typo in section 3.4. Statement "new values MUST be used all future"
should
  be changed to "new value MUST be used for all future".

* If I understood this correctly, a device will generate solicitation
  message when it needs to findout Multicast routers connected to an
  interface. Does this mean a layer-2 device will also generate such
  packets?

* If the answer to my above question is "yes", what should be the source

  address used by the layer-2 device?

* In section 5, there is no mention of ICMP next header field for IPv6
for
  MRD termination messages.

* Do we need to generate a Termination/Startup MRD advertisement if the
IP
  address?

Thanks & Regards,
Bharat

**************** CAUTION - Disclaimer *****************
This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.
***INFOSYS******** End of Disclaimer ********INFOSYS***

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma