Subject: [magma] RFC 4286 on Multicast Router Discovery

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:25:28 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4286

        Title:      Multicast Router Discovery
        Author(s):  B. Haberman, J. Martin
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       December 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 35540
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-magma-mrdisc-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4286.txt

The concept of Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) and
Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) snooping requires the ability to
identify the location of multicast routers.  Since snooping is not
standardized, there are many mechanisms in use to identify the
multicast routers.  However, this can lead to interoperability issues
between multicast routers and snooping switches from different
vendors.

This document introduces a general mechanism that allows for the
discovery of multicast routers.  This new mechanism, Multicast Router
Discovery (MRD), introduces a standardized means of identifying
multicast routers without a dependency on particular multicast
routing protocols.

This document is a product of the Multicast & Anycast Group Membership
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma