Subject: [magma] igmp v3 query

From: AJAY THAKUR <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:16:04 +0530

Hi,
I have doubt in rfc 3376 (IGMP v3).

section 5 :
	There are two types of events that trigger IGMPv3 protocol actions on 
an interface:

    o a change of the interface reception state, caused by a local
      invocation of IPMulticastListen.

    o reception of a Query.

    (Received IGMP messages of types other than Query are silently
    ignored, except as required for interoperation with earlier versions
    of IGMP.) <<=====================i have doubt in this...
we need to drop the messages other than query messages?. THis says that
we need to receive only one message in igmpv3 ? i m totally confused?

Thanks
Ajay

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:33:56 -0400

Hi Ajay,
      Section 5 describes functionality implemented by group  
members.  Since message suppression is not a part of the IGMPv3  
model, a router's Query message is the only message that should  
trigger IGMPv3 actions on the group member.  Report messages are  
addressed to the routers and should not be received by other group  
members on the link.

Regards,
Brian

On Aug 25, 2006, at 5:46 AM, AJAY THAKUR wrote:

> 	There are two types of events that trigger IGMPv3 protocol actions  
> on an interface:
>

Brian Haberman
[email-masked]