Subject: [magma] report messages IGMPv3/MLDv2-lite host sends

From: Hitoshi Asaeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 21:50:14 +0900 (JST)

Hi all,

I've been thinking about the host-side spec of IGMPv3/MLDv2-lite.
(Note that the word of "lite" has been tentatively used here.
Discussion about its official wording will be given later.)

As we discussed in the magma ML and the last IETF MBONED, designing
the igmpv3/mldv2 lite which eliminates an exclude filter mode from the
full version would be beneficial to the SSM deployment.

Now I clarify which states are kept and which states can be eliminated
from the lite version host. The following table shows possible report
messages an igmpv3/mldv2-lite version host transmits.

 IGMPv3-full     IGMPv3-lite      meaning
 ------------    ------------     --------------------------------
 IS_EX(NULL)     IS_EX(NULL)      query response for (*,G) join
 IS_EX(S,G)      N/A              query response for EX (S,G) join
 IS_IN(S,G)      IS_IN(S,G)       query response for IN (S,G) join
 ALLOW(S,G)      ALLOW(S,G)       IN (S,G) join
 BLOCK(S,G)      BLOCK(S,G)       IN (S,G) leave
 TO_IN(S,G)      TO_IN(S,G)       change to IN (S,G)
 TO_IN(NULL)     TO_IN(NULL)      (*,G) leave
 TO_EX(S,G)      N/A              change to EX (S,G)
 TO_EX(NULL)     TO_EX(NULL)      (*,G) join

According to my thought, above two "N/A" states can be eliminated from
lite version host. And other states would be same of the full version.
Regarding IS_EX(S,G), if a lite version host receives a query message
asking EX (S,G) join, it silently discards (i.e. ignores) the message.
A lite version host never sends TO_EX(S,G).

Any comments?
--
Hitoshi Asaeda

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma