Subject: [magma] rfc 4601 PIM query

From: AJAY THAKUR <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:09:55 +0530

HI,
I have one doubt about PIM register messages.

rfc 4601 sec. 4.4 PIM register messsages :

    "The Designated Router (DR) on a LAN or point-to-point link
    encapsulates multicast packets from local sources to the RP for the
    relevant group unless it recently received a Register-Stop message
    for that (S,G) or (*,G) from the RP.  When the DR receives a
    Register-Stop message from the RP, it starts a Register-Stop Timer to
    maintain this state.  Just before the Register-Stop Timer expires,
    the DR sends a Null-Register Message to the RP to allow the RP to
    refresh the Register-Stop information at the DR.  If the Register-
    Stop Timer actually expires, the DR will resume encapsulating packets
    from the source to the RP."

I m confused after reading " Just before the Register-Stop Timer 
expires". Does this mean we need one more timer here?

Thanks
Ajay

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: "Santosh Lakshmana Rao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 23:57:40 -0700

Another timer is not required. 
Register-Stop Timer can serve the purpose.
However two timeout values are needed - Register_Suppression_Time and
Register_Probe_Time as mentioned in the RFC.

Santosh

-----Original Message-----
From: AJAY THAKUR [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, November 24, 2006 12:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [magma] rfc 4601 PIM query

HI,

    Register-Stop message from the RP, it starts a Register-Stop Timer
to
    Stop Timer actually expires, the DR will resume encapsulating
packets

Thanks
Ajay

---

From: "Suresh kannan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:32:27 +0530

Hi Ajay,

Its upto your implementation. Register-Stop timer is required as per RFC.
You can use another timer to send NULL register message or you can use the
same timer to implement sending NULL register before actually it expiring.
means you should have some mechanism that let register-stop let expire
before actuall timer and reset to somemore time. ( as per calculation of
probe, suppression timeout).

Thanks,
Regards,
Suresh kannan.