Subject: [magma] Query regarding MLD Router Compatibility [RFC3810]

From: "Rajib Karmakar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 17:17:16 +0530

----------------begin
paste----------------------------------------------------------
RFC 3810   Section 8.3.2.  In the Presence of MLDv1 Multicast Address
Listeners

   Note that when a router switches back to MLDv2 Multicast Address
   Compatibility Mode for a multicast address, it takes some time to
   regain source-specific state information.  Source-specific
   information will be learned during the next General Query, but
   sources that should be blocked will not be blocked until [Multicast
   Address Listening Interval] after that.
----------------end
paste----------------------------------------------------------

When a router switches back to MLDv2 Multicast Address Compatibility Mode
why does it wait for Multicast Address Listening Interval after regaining
source specific informations to block sources?

Regards,
Rajib Karmakar
India
_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: "kishore P" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:47:00 -0500

Hi Rajibkit,

The reason to do this is because in section 8.2.2.  In the Presence of MLDv1 
Multicast Address Listeners
"
   An MLDv2 host may be placed on a link where there are MLDv1 hosts.  A
   host MAY allow its MLDv2 Multicast Listener Report to be suppressed
   by a Version 1 Multicast Listener Report."

So the hosts in the network that were MLDv2 aware would not have send source 
specific info because they suppresed their reports due to MLDv1 reports.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,
Kishore

>From: "Rajib Karmakar" <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
>[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
>[email-masked]
>CC: [email-masked]
>Subject: [magma] Query regarding MLD Router Compatibility [RFC3810]
>Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 17:17:16 +0530
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Received: from megatron.ietf.org ([156.154.16.145]) by 
>bay0-mc6-f14.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.2444); Tue, 6 
>Feb 2007 03:49:07 -0800
>Received: from [127.0.0.1] (helo=stiedprmman1.va.neustar.com)by 
>megatron.ietf.org with esmtp (Exim 4.43)id 1HEOnH-0004At-IG; Tue, 06 Feb 
>2007 06:47:27 -0500
>Received: from [10.91.34.44] (helo=ietf-mx.ietf.org)by megatron.ietf.org 
>with esmtp (Exim 4.43) id 1HEOnF-0004Ao-Obfor [email-masked]; Tue, 06 Feb 
>2007 06:47:25 -0500
>Received: from nz-out-0506.google.com ([64.233.162.235])by ietf-mx.ietf.org 
>with esmtp (Exim 4.43) id 1HEOnE-0006CC-HDfor [email-masked]; Tue, 06 Feb 
>2007 06:47:25 -0500
>Received: by nz-out-0506.google.com with SMTP id z6so1900746nzdfor 
><[email-masked]>; Tue, 06 Feb 2007 03:47:16 -0800 (PST)
>Received: by 10.65.210.18 with SMTP id m18mr12753425qbq.1170762436311;Tue, 
>06 Feb 2007 03:47:16 -0800 (PST)
>Received: by 10.64.125.18 with HTTP; Tue, 6 Feb 2007 03:47:16 -0800 (PST)
>X-Message-Info: txF49lGdW41EqgBZPiJFgWysiv1NL1xldljx0QZFO1Y=
>DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; 
>s=beta;h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:mime-version:content-type;b=iv6yWSJLOvlLJNyfiaCdhcxMYY/NbAk0+m0GPfhS9f6SBliYJzbO1/EtJjofzyPE5yd+1ujrkS07Fa5VTfYDuDaiE1IlZurJyLL95RuzdYiDVMvG2eM/WUxtgrH4gKXx7zbwUT/nZ5P42QHiI//DPQeHB6wtNdtjRpRtEcpu6+s=
>X-Spam-Score: 0.3 (/)
>X-Scan-Signature: 7baded97d9887f7a0c7e8a33c2e3ea1b
>X-BeenThere: [email-masked]
>X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.5
>Precedence: list
>List-Id: Multicast and Anycast Group Membership <magma.ietf.org>
>List-Unsubscribe: 
><https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma>,<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
>List-Post: <mailto:[email-masked]>
>List-Help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>
>List-Subscribe: 
><https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma>,<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>
>Errors-To: [email-masked]
>Return-Path: [email-masked]
>X-OriginalArrivalTime: 06 Feb 2007 11:49:07.0923 (UTC) 
>FILETIME=[CF18D230:01C749E4]
>
>----------------begin

_________________________________________________________________
Get in the mood for Valentine's Day. View photos, recipes and more on your 
Live.com page. 
http://www.live.com/?addTemplate=ValentinesDay&ocid=T001MSN30A0701