Subject: [magma] Query regarding IGMPv3 implementation in switch

From: decoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 10:45:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
 
    I am planning to implement IGMPv3 in a switch which does IGMP snooping.
Currently the switch supports IGMPv2 where the forwarding table maintains
Multicast IP address.

   In IGMPv3 i think the forwarding trable would contain  pair.

My question is 

1. If the IGMPv3 report message contains more than one source adderss for a
multicast channel how the Snooping switch will maintain the forwarding
table? 
2. How is the Source selected when more than one source address is present
in the IGMPv3 message? If decision is taken by the Router then how that
information will be available to switch?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Ganesh

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Query-regarding-IGMPv3-implementation-in-switch-tf3385250.html#a9422852
Sent from the IETF - magma mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: John Zwiebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:12:28 -0700

On Mar 11, 2007, at 10:45 AM, decoy wrote:

>  1. If the IGMPv3 report message contains more than one source  
> adderss for a multicast channel how the Snooping switch will  
> maintain the forwarding table?

the receiver is trying to join more than one channel.

> 2. How is the Source selected when more than one source address is  
> present in the IGMPv3 message?

If there is more than one source, there should be more than one (S,G)  
entry in your forwarding table.

> If decision is taken by the Router then how that information will  
> be available to switch?

The switch is suppose to tell the router about every source.  The  
decision on which
channel a receiver wants to listen to is taken by the receiver.