Subject: [magma] (MLD)-Based Multicast Forwarding

From: Ines BEN JEMAA <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 11:41:22 +0200

Dear all,

I'm working on IPv6 multicast. I have to test and deploy IPv6 multicast in a
network topology of two subnets with two MLDv2 routers as shown below :

      Source (Multicast Sender)
                |
                |
MLDv2 Router1===============MLDv2 Router2
                  |
   |
    --------------|-------------
---------|---------
                  |
   |
             Host1
Host2
(Multicast listener)                                     (Multicast
listener)

If I understand, the use of MLD forwarding proxy [RFC 4605] is useful in
case we have a simple network topology and we don't need to run a multicast
routing daemon as PIM. My question is : In our topology, can we use the MLD
forwarding proxy to route multicast packets from the source to the multicast
listeners in the two subnets?

If it can be used, is there any implementation or configuration of the
multicast forwarding (MLD proxying) (any software which implements this
mechanism)?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Best regards,
Ines